Good thing these two nations aren't under constant threat

Pain_Man

Otherwise, they might not have time for such Earth-shattering horrors as this!

I do not see what is racist about this comment.

It's no different than what I heard growing up in San Diego* a thousand times a day: "These people need to learn English!!" *(the world's busiest border crossing; for those of you in Rio Linda, it's right on the Mexican border across from Tijuana--no there are not three a's in it)

If the English girl had said, "This bloody black Indian beeyatch should fuck off home" (I'm still having trouble envisioning the mechanics of the suggestion) I could understand it being thusly labeled. As it stands, it's really more "linguisticist" (a new word, yee-haw!).

The second comment seems to me more of personal attack than a racial one.

If you flip this situation around and these things were said about a Northern European by a "person of color" neither of would have been noticed by anyone. :sleeping:

There is a some small comfort in knowing the US isn't the only country that gets caught up in such utterly trivial nonsense. :whistling:

Also--->> Notice the completely impartial, non-judgemental headline/leader. :innocent:

Original url.

Bollywood star speaks of racist attacks on TV

By Paul Majendie and Deborah Haynes Thu Jan 18, 9:10 AM ET

LONDON (Reuters) - Bollywood actress Shilpa Shetty has said for the first time she is being racially abused in a British reality TV show which has sparked protests in London and New Delhi and damaged Britain's image of tolerance.

Shetty and her fellow contestants on "Celebrity Big Brother" are oblivious to the international row that has erupted over her treatment as they are cut off from the outside world while on the show, where their antics can be watched 24 hours a day.

So while India has asked Britain to check whether race laws have been broken and Shetty's admirers burned effigies of her alleged abusers -- fellow celebrities incarcerated in a house and garden together -- Shetty herself had not mentioned race.

The issue surfaced on Wednesday night after a row over stock cubes used in their communal cooking in which Shetty's housemate Danielle Lloyd said: "Shilpa should fuck off home. She can't even speak English."

British actress and fellow housemate Cleo Rocos, seeking to comfort Shetty, said of the clashes: "I don't think there's anything racist in it."

But Shetty replied: "It is, I'm telling you." Clearly shocked, the 31-year-old actress said: "I am representing my country. Is that what today's UK is? It's scary."

The program's broadcaster Channel 4 had earlier issued a statement insisting Shetty was not suffering racial abuse but saying there had been a "cultural and class clash."

The show has been a huge ratings success story, but has also provoked 27,000 complaints to Britain's media watchdog.

LEADERS DEFEND BRITAIN

British Prime Minister

Tony Blair was dragged into the row in parliament and his successor-in-waiting Gordon Brown was forced to defend Britain's image on a trade visit to India.

The show was front-page news in Britain and India as both cultures contemplated their shortcomings.

"A reality TV show has shamed our country in the eyes of the world," concluded the Daily Express.

The Independent said Britain's ethnic minorities "are more likely to be expelled from school, jailed, unemployed, poorly paid, living in sub-standard houses and victims of crime."

Several Indian newspapers condemned the "racist jibes" thrown at the Bollywood star but said the country should examine its own prejudices before expressing national outrage.

"Discrimination on the basis of color is ingrained in the psyche of most Indians," The Hindustan Times said.

Many of India's one billion people still live within a hierarchy imposed by the Hindu caste system and Muslims face widespread prejudice, being seen as the enemy within since Islamic Pakistan was carved out of British-ruled India.

Indian TV channels have shown continuous footage of the show, in which one housemate has said she was scared to eat food prepared by Shetty because, "you don't know where those hands have been," and another referred to her as "The Indian."

So great is the uproar that British Finance Minister Brown has spent much of his tour trying to quell Indian anger.

"It is important for me to say that thousands of British people have phoned in ... to condemn what has happened on the Big Brother program," Brown told a crowded news conference.

"They, like me, are determined that we send a message worldwide that we want nothing to interfere with Britain's reputation as a country of fairness and a country of tolerance."

(Additional reporting by Surojit Gupta in New Delhi)

Edited by Pain_Man

"A reality TV show has shamed our country in the eyes of the world," concluded the Daily Express.
Isn't that what reality shows are designed to do ?

How many people really would hold up to the rest of the world a reality show as a proud example of their country and people ?

Seems like a bit of an over-reaction on both sides. But what would I know - I come from a country where you can't become a citizen unless you can speak English. So I guess that makes all Australians racist :rolleyes:

3. English Language Requirement

You should be able to speak and understand basic English

You may be exempt from this requirement if:

* you are a person aged 50 years or over

* a person whose ability is affected by a physical or intellectual impairment

* if you provide evidence of having completed the English language tuition with the Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP) and you can respond in simple English on aspects of the application.

It's such a crap show and I still think this is being blown out of proportion by the producers, Channel 4 to rescue and ailing show from crap ratings.

That said, after those comments above there were apparently further ones made that according to the radio here are more likely to be considered racist.

It's all a load of crap, Channel 4 are probably wetting themselves with excitement over this. It's just what they wanted when they put that uneducated bunch of ignorant oafs in there with somebody from a diffrent culture that they didnt have a hope in hell of understanding. Big Brother always has been and always will be about bullying and victimisation of individuals by a higher authority(BB) and the sooner it is banned from the airwaves the better, and dont give me that crap about the early series' being a "social experiment", it truly is the worst kind of Soma for the Gammas!!! :angry: If Shilpa had any sense she would walk out and go home, she doesnt need the exposure so much that she would put up with that shit does she??!!

Actually, Shilpa is quite fit though! :rolleyes:

Hopefully, Jade's career (if you can call flashing your kebab, being thick and mouthy a career) will come crashing down. It's?quite?worrying?that?people?like?her,?without?any?talent?whatsoever,?can?be

ome?so?well-known.?Also,?like?Jack,?I'd?like?to?see?all?this?crap,?and?other?reality?TV?shows like it,?die?a?very?quick?death,?and?be replaced?by?some?proper?TV?programmes.

QUOTE(http://www.citizenship.gov.au/becoming-a-citizen/application-process/eligible.htm)

* if you provide evidence of having completed the English language tuition with the Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP) and you can respond in simple English on aspects of the application.

I like that. Wish we had that in the states. I think it's disgusting that they think we should learn their language. In Michigan the schools teach in their native tounge!!!!!!

I think everyone should speak Polish also, my civil rights have been violated not being exposed to my cultural roots.

@Jack

Is there a pic of this "fit" lady for our televisual entertainment?

Regards

There you go Blu.

d051130shilpa4008du.jpg

It's much the same in the US. You have to learn English. And you have to learn American history.

In fact, you have to pass a test to prove your knowledge of American history and basics of Constitutional law.

Sadly, many Americans--I don't mean kids, I mean "adults" walking around on the streets--could't pass the test.

Years ago, Andy Rooney* did a man on the street thing where he asked randomly picked adults to see how many of the questions on the Immigrant Test they could pass.

The results were ridiculously embarassing. Few people got more than a handful right. And these were natural born citizens (the ones who can become President, which immigrants cannot).

Most of the people who did get the questions right were, you guessed it, new citizens.

The one saving grace is that Rooney's informal "test" was done on the streets of NYC.

*(curmudgeon on the "news magazine" show 60 Minutes, the first of its kind in the US, tho' I'm sure it was copied from some English show, as so many American shows are, e.g.: the most popular show in the country right now American Idol is version of Pop Idol; Lord Foul--known to most as Simon Cowell--did say that "American talent is superior [to British]." If you've watched the first week, you'd be hard pressed to prove that claim by Seattle)

Isn't that what reality shows are designed to do ?

How many people really would hold up to the rest of the world a reality show as a proud example of their country and people ?

Seems like a bit of an over-reaction on both sides. But what would I know - I come from a country where you can't become a citizen unless you can speak English. So I guess that makes all Australians racist :rolleyes:

"Quite fit" interesting way to put it, Jack.

She's is pretty. I'm sure she's doing this for the obvious reason: to raise her "profile" amongst English audiences.

Bollywood has yet to make a significant, really any, impact in the US. Sly Stallone is a big Bollywood fan. He's said to be working on bringing it to the US in a big way; to the extent of personally funding some movies being made over there but crafted toward American audiences. Tho' I'm not sure it's going to work. Musicals have been a hard sell since the 50s and guys stopping battles to start singing at each other is, er, well, odd (from the American POV).

The one exception to the inability of Bollywood to make any dent is Gurinder Chadra's Bride and Prejudice starring the absolutely stunningly drop-dead gorgeous Aishwaryah Rai (probably spelling the first name wrong).

She is drive-into-telephone poles beautiful. :thumbup:

The TV successes of Naveen Andrews (Lost) and Parminder Nagra (on ER--& quite, ah, "fit" herself :whistling: ) shows that individual Anglo-Indians can make it in Hollywood.

Actually, Shilpa is quite fit though! :rolleyes:

As I noted above, to become a US citizen, you must demonstrate English proficiency (the same isn't true of getting a Green Card, esp if you win it in the lottery).

And, it's not just Michigan.

In Cali, you can take your written driver's license test in 14 different languages: Spanish, Vietnamese, Korean, Japanese, Laotian, Cambodian, Chinese and others I can't remember.

Tho, interestingly, you canNOT take it in, Polish, French, German, Italian...

You may very well have something, cath, when you say "civil rights" have been violated.

Someone from Poland or the Netherlands should sue Cali for the "right" to take the test in their language. In fact, every immigrant whose language isn't taught in schools or who can't take their driver's license in their native tongue, should sue. The tens of thousands of lawsuits would overwhelm the courts and might just wake up Sacramento as well as Washington.

Yeah, I am holding my breath. And, yeah, I am turning purple...

I like that. Wish we had that in the states. I think it's disgusting that they think we should learn their language. In Michigan the schools teach in their native tounge!!!!!!

I think everyone should speak Polish also, my civil rights have been violated not being exposed to my cultural roots.

Since when has being an asshole become a crime?

If it is, then my ex-wife and ex-in-laws would be doing life.

It's just, it's just... :unsure: ...I don't even know what the hell it is any more.

It's too absurd even for a Kafka novel.

Laughable.

See if any laws have been broken.

Yeah Don't put crap on the telly.

She's alright. I wouldn't kick her outa bed Jack, much less the country.

You might wanna co-opt her for the English Cricket Team - she can't do any worse than the current lot of geriatric no hopers. =))

Regards

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.