Not detecting DVD Burner

Snapperhead

Hi guys,

First post and I'm asking a question....... That's not good.

But I promise I have found and used the search button, exhausted even googles patience also.

I'm running XPProSP2 on a 1.8gig P4 1gig of ram. The system has just been rebuilt and is working beautifully.

I have been reading till my eyes bled about the myriad of burning and .ISO creating progs out there, consulted the many forums I'm involved with and my search has ended with ImageBurn 2.1.0.0

Freshly installed it will only detect my CD-RW drive, and not my DVD-RW drive. I know from reading there could be numerous reasons for this, however the below info might narrow it down a bit I hope.

The new DVD-RW just installed today is the LITE-ON DVD-RW LH-18A1P. The one it detects above is LG DVDROM CD-RW 4520B.

I also have a virtual drive with Daemon tools It doesn't detect, but that doesn't bother me at all.

Here is the log >

I 14:00:19 ImgBurn Version 2.1.0.0 started!

I 14:00:19 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 14:00:20 Initialising SPTI...

I 14:00:20 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

E 14:00:25 CreateFile Failed! - Device: '\\.\CdRom0' (F:)

E 14:00:25 Reason: Access is denied.

E 14:00:30 CreateFile Failed! - Device: '\\.\CdRom2' (X:)

E 14:00:30 Reason: Access is denied.

W 14:00:30 Errors were encountered when trying to access 2 drives.

W 14:00:30 These drives will not be visible in the program.

I 14:00:30 Found 1 DVD-ROM/CD-RW!

Funny thing is it will detect all drives in Admin, but not with my user profile.

I'm a noob, so plz be gentle with me and the jargon also ;)

(Snapperhead puts on asbestos suite and dives behind a large rock)

I haven't yet burned anything or used the program, so may well have further questions in the future.

Thanx in anticipation guys.

I love ya work........... Keep it up !! :rolleyes:

Edited by Snapperhead

Sounds like a "permissions" error. What this means is that your user account may be restricted with what it's allowed to do. ImgBurn, by default, uses a software device driver called SPTI which requires admin access to function and there's a couple of things you can do to get things working properly.

1. Open your user settings and add ADMINISTRATOR access to your account.

2. Download and install the trial version of CloneDVD from http://www.slysoft.com/. As a byproduct of installing CloneDVD, you also install something called the ELBYCDIO driver which doesn't need admin access to run. After installing CloneDVD and rebooting your PC, open the ImgBurn settings from the TOOLS menu, select the I/O tab, then select ELBYCDIO and close the window.

Fixed. (Hopefully). ;)

EDIT: Make sure your drive is actually enabled within Device Manager.

2. Download and install the trial version of CloneDVD from http://www.slysoft.com/. As a byproduct of installing CloneDVD, you also install something called the ELBYCDIO driver which doesn't need admin access to run. After installing CloneDVD and rebooting your PC, open the ImgBurn settings from the TOOLS menu, select the I/O tab, then select ELBYCDIO and close the window.

Fixed. (Hopefully). ;)

Ahhhhhhhhh How easy was that ?

I do have ClodeDVD2 and Clone CD and AnyDVD. So I adjusted the above I/O setting and presto !! Both drives are there and happy.

Now all I have to do is learn how to fly the prog and start using it........ All I wanted it for was to write .ISO files of PS2 games for backups.

So here goes.......... Thanx muchly :)

Sounds like a "permissions" error. What this means is that your user account may be restricted with what it's allowed to do. ImgBurn, by default, uses a software device driver called SPTI which requires admin access to function and there's a couple of things you can do to get things working properly.

Agreed, though due to my extreme native cunning and paranoia ("the viruses ... the viruses ... they're .. alive!") I can't agree with the Honourable Shamus about the "Add Administrator rights to your user account" bit. I applaud your tactic of running as a Restricted user, and in the interests of encouraging you to continue I'd like to suggest you simply grant your restricted user account the permission to use the optical drives.

Obviously you've already gotten around the permissions problem by installing the nifty ElbyCDIO device driver, but anyway ... consider trying this :

• Login to your local administrator account
  • Go to Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Local Security Policy
  • With Security Options highlighted on the left, look in the list on the right side for "Restrict CD-ROM access to locally logged-on user only" (if you are using Windows 2000), or "Devices: "Restrict CD-ROM access to locally logged-on user only" (if you are using Windows XP) and right click on it and choose Properties.
  • A ?Local Security Policy Setting? window will pop up - select the "Enabled" option and click OK. Though choosing ?Enabled? on an option that says it is to ?Restrict access?? sounds the opposite of what is desired, it is the correct option to choose. (Bill Gates can no doubt explain :wacko:)
  • Log off of the Windows local administrator account and log back in as your normal Windows user.

(I'm on a Win2K box at the moment, as a non-admin user, so the above is from memory - sorry if any of it is inexact)

Hopefully you will now find you are able to access the optical drives properly as a restricted user using the SPTI driver (if you still want to).

If I'm wrong about this config fix being relevant then sorry for the noise. :geek:

Agreed, though due to my extreme native cunning and paranoia ("the viruses ... the viruses ... they're .. alive!") I can't agree with the Honourable Shamus about the "Add Administrator rights to your user account" bit.

My bad. I forgot to place "OR" between options 1 & 2.

I'm pretty sure this is all covered in the FAQ ;)

Weird how 1 drives appears to be visible though and the others are not!

If they'd all failed with 'Access is denied' (as I would have expected them to), it would have displayed a message about needing admin privileges to run with SPTI. That error would have then tied into what's mentioned in the FAQ much more closely.

I'm pretty sure this is all covered in the FAQ ;)
Ooops, sorry - so it is :blush: :

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtop...d=8023&st=0 (question 4)

Weird how 1 drives appears to be visible though and the others are not!
Good point ... weird indeed. Is it possible it's actually the Daemon Tools drive that gets detected successfully, and the two real drives that fail (I've never used Daemon Tools, & don't know what kind of drive it reports itself as ... RO .. RW) ?

If they'd all failed with 'Access is denied' ... it would have displayed a message about needing admin privileges to run with SPTI.
Nice.

The new DVD-RW just installed today is the LITE-ON DVD-RW LH-18A1P. The one it detects above is LG DVDROM CD-RW 4520B.

I also have a virtual drive with Daemon tools It doesn't detect, but that doesn't bother me at all.

Nope, the original poster said it didn't find the DT drive but it did find the CDRW/DVDROM... most odd!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.