Caution against bad media

Altercuno

Hi All,

Just spent the last few days reading through past pages in the support forum and you are always having to point out to people to use good media. So how about a warning or a caution pop up, or something in the log when discs are id, or when Imgburn opens - whatever - to use good stuff...

Had a look, but couldn't see this anywhere, apologies if its been posted before...

Regards

it wont help ,people buy what they want based on name brand and price ,you'll see where people argue that the media they have is good when the rest of the world knows its crap ,same for the people that post how do I do such and such when theres a guides forum with all the answers ,do people use the search function in IB not often its just :frustrated:

I know what your saying - you see it all over other forums as well - use good media, burn with Imgburn, update your firmware over and over. It must get very discouraging.

But, having said that I think such a notice - (warning/informing against bad media, perhaps linking to your test forum) would be a start in breaking down the ideas people have about media.

Your product is the best and deserves the best. You produce a world class product, in my view, with quality support representing years of work and then the most important part of it - the media - is left to uninformed (mostly) people doing their best. Then you see a whole cycle starting of bad burns, posting on forums, explaining the media used is no good, then buying the good stuff and problem solved. Then the next person comes along and so on. Explaining about bad media seems to be part of the job you have taken on - why not do it right from the start?

Anyway, its only my say - thanks for the chance to say it...

Regards

More often than not people have bought a minimum of 25 discs anyway so will work through the spindle before getting anything decent.

I just tend to agree with the lads above - for a lot of people they only believe the media is shit when they experience it themselves :(

I know what your saying - you see it all over other forums as well - use good media, burn with Imgburn, update your firmware over and over. It must get very discouraging.

Sort of. With the proliferation of new computer users over the last few years any forum can expect questions to be asked that have been asked before. Many problems arise when new users realise that operating one of these things isn't as simple as the man or woman in the computer shop said it would be. It's the nature of the beast and I think all of us here expect it to some degree.

But, having said that I think such a notice - (warning/informing against bad media, perhaps linking to your test forum) would be a start in breaking down the ideas people have about media.

The idea has merit but solutions are rarely simple. For example, L_UK! added a reminder to the ImgBurn log stating that AnyDVD causes problems when verifying. Given the amount of posts regarding verify problems directly relating to AnyDVD shows that some users ignore the warnings. We get those who blame ImgBurn for bad burns when it doesn't really have anything to do with the burn process. (The quality of a burn is determined by the hardware, not the software).

Also, I think new users would struggle with the drives and media section, even if they were pointed to it. It requires a person to know what they're looking at. If they knew what they were looking at, it's doubtful they'd have bought crap media in the first place.

<Opinion mode off. Please insert 2c to continue>

Thanks for the considered replies and I can only agree with you. It seems like an argument with two sides. For me what you said Shamus:

We get those who blame ImgBurn for bad burns when it doesn't really have anything to do with the burn process.
would be the bottom line and it was that thought which prompted my post. Not just to try and get people on the right path from the start, but to try and deflect some on the totally unwanted flack which comes your way. On many posts I have seen the Beta team close ranks to protect the author from unpleasantness. Well done, but why should you have to? At least with a warning you could say, RTFI.

Don't know about the AnyDvd warning - a bad disc warning seems more fundamental or even a check list - use good media, update firmware, don't use illegally ect.

Again thanks for the chance to express a view...

Regards

Altercuno,

You do make a good point, a lot of the posts we get are in fact media related.

Here is the bad part about your suggestion, pending on drive/firmware/OS combination, some crap discs burn very well with certain combo's, so, to warn against a certain brand/MID would be embarrassing when it burns so well.

@Kenadjian@

Very true and I had to smile when I read that - the thought of you swooping loads of bad media posts for...and whats wrong with my discs?.. posts.

How about - to burn successfully you need good quality discs, please look at our test forum. Not all discs are the same.

Regards and thanks for the prog.

Edited by Altercuno

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.