Single layer media recommendations

MarkC

A couple of years ago I (long before I found this forum) I bought an Artec VOM-12E48X writer, because it was the cheapest I could find at the time... It's described as a 12x burner but doesn't ever give me the option to burn at more than 6x, in any package. Not that I ever burn fater than x4 anyway.

I was buying unbranded media for a while, the moved up to DataWrite Blue. All of these?that?burned?ok?at?the?time,?still?seem?to read ok 2 years later. I did start getting a few more coasters?per?tub so moved up? to Datawrite Yellow, mostly Ritek dye, and 1 or two packs that were, umm, CMC MAG AE1 dye. Those discs of these that did burn and verify ok at the time are now showing as blank media.... :angry: I don't normally use the verify media option in ImgBurn, as out of habit I use the Scandisc tab in Nero CDDVD Speed 4.7. and these are discs that scanned ok in CDDVD Speed when burned.?They?were?burned?in?CdBurnerXpPro.

I'm now looking for a better source of media, as my choice of "what's (almost) cheapest" is obviously not working out :whistling:

I'd like to go with with TY Verb's after all the comments round here of "don't do anything else" and after looking round SVP and DvdShopOnline, I'm leaning towards these Verbatim 16x DVD+R YUDEN000T03 dye @ ?19.96/100 http://svp.co.uk/products-solo.php?pid=1523. I've never bought +R's before,?I started with -R's because the DVD drive in my old laptop wouldn't read +R's, though it has since died (the drive, not the laptop), so that's not an issue anymore. ?BTW, are there any advantages to using +R SL media, given I'm always burning at x4 anyway?

The other discs I was looking at was Datawrite 8x DVD-R TY's @?16.99/100, http://svp.co.uk/products-solo.php?pid=1800, though the reviews seem to indicate there a lot worse than the Unbranded 8x DVD-R TY's @?26.79/100, http://svp.co.uk/products-solo.php?pid=228

Any comments?and?suggestions welcome, (even just 'yeah thes are a good deal') or indications of where else to shop.

Mark

personal choice is Taiyo yuden TYG02 8x -r discs .

svp does them ( i get all mine from there) see here

about 30quid per 100 , not the cheapest i know, but ive only lost about 5 in over 600 discs and the early ones are all still readable after 3 years.

personally i wouldnt bother with any other brand, even if they do use the taiyo dye/ink, and likewise i would stay away from the 16x version of these with the tyg03 dye ( personal choice)

verbatims are good, but i found that DV5 verbs are not brilliant with my 3 panasonic players , If you was going for Dual Layer then it HAS to be verbatims and no other type

you could check for a firmware update for your drive which may give you better write speeds, do this within the ImgBurn using the TOOLS button,

TOOLS>DRIVE> CHECK FOR FIRMWARE UPDATES

EDIT i should add theres a comprehensive guide to differant media tested in the Drives and Media forum HERE

The ones you recommended are OOS at the moment, are the unbranded (last link in my first post) likely to be roughly equivalent?

I'm on the current firmware for my burner 100D.

Thanks for you input.

Mark

ive never gambled on the unbranded ones , although the genuine ones were 45 quid once over and the unbranmded was at 30quid i was tempted.

ive always though of UNbranded as ones that fail the quality control test at the factory, so i never tried any Unbranded

theres a button on the link i gave you that will email you when they are in stock . you may have to be registered with svp for this, not sure . its well worth joining/registering with them anyway for promotional offers , like cheap shipping.

Ive found the TYG02's to be OOS many times in the past which makes me think there poular, when ever i order i always get cd's as well , verbatim 52x, and if the dvds are In stock, you can guarantee the cds will be OUT of stock and vice versa .

im that happy with the TY's thought hat i order 200 at a time, knowing that when i running low svp will be out of them .

i havent even looked anywhere else for TYG02's .

i just scanned thru these discs in the media and drives section, and they do show to be very reliable across a broad range of drives.

as a thought, if you order anything from svp, you could always ask for some samples to try before you commit to a 100 spindle of them

I agree with volvo that the TYG02 media dye is excellent, I have also used a lot of the TYG03 (16x) DVD-R's but tend to restrict those to a max of 12x to get the best quality out of them.

I would also happily recommend the Verbatim Discs, with the MCC and MKM for dual layer dye codes.... some reviews of the Verbatim discs are available here:

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showfor...r=all&st=60

So TYG02's, but not Datawrite or unbranded TYG02's... and 16x DVD-R TY03 might be ok. I hadn't immediately noticed the ?4.99 delivery at SVP, so I might do a bit more looking round.

I wonder if my burner will suppost the TY03's at 4x.. Is there anyway to find out what speed a burner will handle a media if you don't have any to hand??

Might be time to get another burner as well....

Mark

like Volvo says call them explain what you're trying to do and see if they will send you a sample of Yudens and Verbs .Buying a new drive is an option also they are so cheap these days actually cheaper than a spindle of excellent media .I use Verbs and Yudens and never have problems with them and will your drive support them at 4X its more that likely I burn at 6X all the time and no issues

The Panasonic ones arent bad, I have had the 8x and the 16x when the others are out of stock and not had a bad one yet if thats any help. Panasonic 16x I know some people slag em off in the reveiw but mine have been fine. If I can remember what I burned on to one of em I will do a scan....... :mellow:

Thanks for your input Jack,

It seems like most of the branded TY's occasionally have a bad batch, much like I've had with the DataWrite Yellow's. Some batches with the Ritek G05 dye, I've had a least 2 bad spindles, and some with CMC MAG, which have been rubbish with >50% failures.

I'm leaning more and more towards just spending the money and getting TY branded disks.

Mark

Hi Mark.

Trust me, these guys know wht they are talking about.

The TYGO2 discs are the best you can get. I used all sorts of crap with mixed results in the earlier days of me getting into all this burning malarky... >_<

I settled into using GO5 discs which were pretty good, but in compaision the Taiyos are miles ahead. Check the media guides for the burn results. These guys have done a lot of the donkey work sorting the good from the bad for us.

Personally I wouldnt use anything else now. And as for SVP, they are without doubt the best online retailer for media. The price you pay for delivery is pretty standard to be honest, but your items will be delivered when they say they will. I only ever had one package delivered late which wasnt SVPs fault btw, but they refunded the delivery charge regardless. They are pretty good at supplying samples too. Stick around on the forum and you can even benefit from a discount for Imgburn forum members.

To save on delivery charges you could also bulk buy like I do, saves a fortune in the end.

Edited by DasReich ~ Dave ~

The main thing I found with Ridisc AAA+ Extreme discs was they were more reliable with most dvd players, where as even a high quality disc such as the Verbatim 16x had some playability problems with older players. There are no such problems with the Taiyos to report. I do keep my burns to 8x even though my drive supports them to 12x.

i went over to Taiyos when G05 ritek's came out,as they was extremely unreliable then . then soon after the ritek G04 became obsolete

Disc Information:

Erasable: No

Free Sectors: 2,298,496

Free Space: 4,707,319,808 bytes

Free Time: 510:48:46 (MM:SS:FF)

Supported Write Speeds: 1x, 2x, 4x

Pre-recorded Information:

Manufacturer ID: RITEKG04

Found about 60-70 rummaging around for something else ,burned a couple and they were fine and verifyed 100%,They were really the last of the great Riteks .They sat in storage at least 2 1/2 years or better still perfect and everything I burned to them around 3 years ago or better still play perfect ,makes you wonder why they let their reputation go to crap ,shame really

The G04's were a good middle of the range ( and reliable) media at a realisitic price, there downside was they were rated at 4x .

Ritek ,in there wisdom, invented G05 to cope with 8x ( if i remember correctly) , and from then on it was the demise of ritek.

had they made the G05 as good/reliable as the 04's, then taiyo yuden may just of become some weird name that not many people had ever heard of

Barf, just lost a post...

I emailed SVP to see if I could get some samples to try in my drive and I did, a few more than I expected.

The 16xDVD+R Verb Silvertops only show as a 1x in my drive, but the 16xDVD-R Verb Silvertops just gave me a flawless verify after a buffer underrun. I have NEVER had a good disc after a BU with this drive before, ever. I'm sold on TY dyes and verb disc quality.

Next I think I'll try the TY unbranded 8xDVD-R TYG02's and then.....

I'm sold on SVP just because of their customer service, and I aint bought anything yet!

Mark

Barf, just lost a post...

I emailed SVP to see if I could get some samples to try in my drive and I did, a few more than I expected.

The 16xDVD+R Verb Silvertops only show as a 1x in my drive, but the 16xDVD-R Verb Silvertops just gave me a flawless verify after a buffer underrun. I have NEVER had a good disc after a BU with this drive before, ever. I'm sold on TY dyes and verb disc quality.

Next I think I'll try the TY unbranded 8xDVD-R TYG02's and then.....

I'm sold on SVP just because of their customer service, and I aint bought anything yet!

Mark

see if theres a firmware update for the drive might be all it needs to recognize the +R discs at more supported speeds.You see what we've been saying all along about the Verbs and TY's they're just so far above the other medias its not funny

They are smart people at SVP by sending you a few or more discs I'm sure they've made another loyal customer who will give them more orders ,they handle things the old fashioned way happy customers spend money :thumbup:

Unfortunately there ain't a firmware update, so I'll stick with the -R's for now until I get a new burner.

The budget won't reach there just yet, as I just had to get a new drive after the 160G I bought died due to a power supply fault, and my second 20G is failing. Plus my 21" ViewSonic just died and my 20" Philips is showing its age.

I'm sure I should just get a credit card reader installed in the front of this thing :(

Maybe next month.

Mark

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.