ImgBurn 2.2.0.0 Bug

DaveC

I upgraded to the latest version from version 2.1.0.0 and have experienced the following reproducable bug.

With my NEC drive the burn takes place at normal although it does not seem to be handling the device buffers as well as before and overall average write speed and max write speed is slower than the previous version, but a successful burn. However, the Samsung drive in the second burn of the log has real problems and produces coasters. Note the particularily long time to Synchronise the cache at the end of the burn (annoyingly the whole log didn't copy and I have downgraded so lost the log, just noticed). Anyway the synchronise of cache takes around 3 minutes before the finalising of the disk starts (it should be only a few seconds). The disk is also unplayable towards the end (not a complete coaster, but locking up in the last 6 minutes of the film). I tried this with 3 disks and the problem is reproducable.

I 23:38:28 ImgBurn Version 2.2.0.0 started!

I 23:38:28 Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 23:38:28 Total Physical Memory: 1,047,916 KB - Available: 444,644 KB

I 23:38:28 Initialising SPTI...

I 23:38:28 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 23:38:28 Found 1 DVD?RW and 1 DVD?RW/RAM!

I 23:38:41 Operation Started!

I 23:38:41 Source File: G:\*****

I 23:38:41 Source File Size: 4,681,416,704 bytes

I 23:38:41 Source File Volume Identifier: *****

I 23:38:41 Source File File System(s): ISO9660, UDF (1.02)

I 23:38:41 Destination Device: [1:1:0] _NEC DVD_RW ND-3520AW 3.07 (E:) (ATA)

I 23:38:41 Destination Media Type: DVD+R (Disc ID: CMC MAG-M01-00) (Speeds: 4x, 6x, 8x, 12x, 16x)

I 23:38:41 Destination Media Sectors: 2,295,104

I 23:38:41 Write Mode: DVD

I 23:38:41 Write Type: DAO

I 23:38:41 Write Speed: MAX

I 23:38:41 Link Size: Auto

I 23:38:41 Test Mode: No

I 23:38:41 BURN-Proof: Enabled

I 23:38:41 Filling Buffer... (20 MB)

I 23:38:42 Writing LeadIn...

I 23:39:06 Writing Image...

I 23:44:43 Synchronising Cache...

I 23:44:44 Closing Track...

I 23:45:02 Finalising Disc...

I 23:45:15 Image MD5: b20a7df0b25a1dd6f2aa2d756a16aa5b

I 23:45:16 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:06:34

I 23:45:16 Average Write Rate: 13,606 KB/s (9.8x) - Maximum Write Rate: 19,710 KB/s (14.2x)

I 23:48:40 Operation Started!

I 23:48:40 Source File: G:\******

I 23:48:40 Source File Sectors: 2,285,848 (MODE1/2048)

I 23:48:40 Source File Size: 4,681,416,704 bytes

I 23:48:40 Source File Volume Identifier: *****

I 23:48:40 Source File Implementation Identifier: DVD Shrink

I 23:48:40 Source File File System(s): ISO9660, UDF (1.02)

I 23:48:40 Destination Device: [1:0:0] TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S182D SB04 (F:) (ATA)

I 23:48:40 Destination Media Type: DVD+R (Disc ID: CMC MAG-M01-00) (Speeds: 4x, 8x, 12x, 16x)

Edited by DaveC

DaveC,

Destination Media Type: DVD+R (Disc ID: CMC MAG-M01-00) (Speeds: 4x, 6x, 8x, 12x, 16x)

We reccommend only using Verbatims as blank media of choice. Try switching and see what happens, successful burns. CMC MAGS are really awful media. You may get some to work fine but most of the time you encounter problems such as yours. :/

Yeah, with CMC's, and even with good media, a burn that completes is, unfortunately, not a reliable sign that the media it was burnt to is good. Memorex CMC's have, on a good day, a 20% success rate.

However, if you are sure you were burning to CMC's BEFORE with 2.1, you were probably lucky they were okay. It is most likely just coincidence it happened with when you updated. Have you recently changed the brand of media you normally use? Even then, within a package of discs on its own, you can, sometimes, get mixed manufacturer ID's.

DaveC,

Destination Media Type: DVD+R (Disc ID: CMC MAG-M01-00) (Speeds: 4x, 6x, 8x, 12x, 16x)

We reccommend only using Verbatims as blank media of choice. Try switching and see what happens, successful burns. CMC MAGS are really awful media. You may get some to work fine but most of the time you encounter problems such as yours. :/

I have burnt 100s of the CMC MAG discs, I have them in batches of 300, I used to use the old DVD Decryypter to burn them and moved to imgburn a while ago (few months), my successful burn % is something like 98%, if I do get failures it's because either I have been doing something far to processor intensive, or I have been careless with the media prior to burning. I do verify all media after the burns.

I STRESS I have had NO problems with the previous version of imgburn (which I have now rolled back to). I burn around 30 discs per month and have for years. My experience with the CMCs has been no different to far more expensive discs. it also ONLY happens on the Samsung drive and NOT the NEC drive. This is reproducable and would logically point to a bug in the software. if it was media, both drives would be affected and sometimes the Samsung drive would work OK....but it doesn't

DaveC,

I have burnt 100s of the CMC MAG discs, I have them in batches of 300, I used to use the old DVD Decryypter to burn them and moved to imgburn a while ago (few months), my successful burn % is something like 98%, if I do get failures it's because either I have been doing something far to processor intensive, or I have been careless with the media prior to burning. I do verify all media after the burns.

I STRESS I have had NO problems with the previous version of imgburn (which I have now rolled back to). I burn around 30 discs per month and have for years. My experience with the CMCs has been no different to far more expensive discs. it also ONLY happens on the Samsung drive and NOT the NEC drive. This is reproducable and would logically point to a bug in the software. if it was media, both drives would be affected and sometimes the Samsung drive would work OK....but it doesn't

I guess if you're happy with CMC MAG then any recommendation from the forum wont change your mind .There are countless posts where members had and still have problems with those discs and by changing to Verbs or Yudens their issues went away .There has been many burns and scans with different drives of this media and all have been substandard its not an opinion but fact that they are second rate media .You mention the far more expensive media but theres not that big of a gap a few cents at most, my last media buy was Verbatim +R I got 200 for $53 and the Memorex on the same shelf were more expensive .You just have to shop for the best deals and sales and buy accordingly .

Not all drives like all media ,its a matter of finding media that is compatible with your drive and some drives dont like + some - even of the high end stuff. I have NEC drives and they love Verbs and Yudens , I 've burned to Phillips (cmc mag experiment and free discs ) and they verifyed but a few months later they dont play back without issues and some can't be read without read errors .

Try and read some of the CMC's that you burned a year ago and see what happens

About being a reproducable bug it really isn't, its a compatibility problem with drive/media, try different formats that may solve your problem

rolling back to the previous version is OK if that works for you but you dont have the read capability of 2.2 a nice feature

Not all drives like all media ,its a matter of finding media that is compatible with your drive and some drives dont like + some - even of the high end stuff. I have NEC drives and they love Verbs and Yudens , I 've burned to Phillips (cmc mag experiment and free discs ) and they verifyed but a few months later they dont play back without issues and some can't be read without read errors .

Try and read some of the CMC's that you burned a year ago and see what happens

About being a reproducable bug it really isn't, its a compatibility problem with drive/media, try different formats that may solve your problem

rolling back to the previous version is OK if that works for you but you dont have the read capability of 2.2 a nice feature

The CMC's I burned a year ago are fine, and some have been in use played 3 times a week by my 4 year old kids, no problems. However, I still have a spare pack of 50 memorex disks 16x +R hanging around, I will updrade again to version 2.2 and see if I get Samsung drive issues on burns with those media.

Remember tho I said that although they (the CMC MAG discs) burnt OK on the NEC drive they were slower burns as the software didn't seem to cope as well. If I find the memorex burns OK, then it still begs the question:

Why should an earlier version of the software burn more reliably with inferior media, on 2 different DVD drives, than a later version which burns more slowly and less reliably?.....you wouls sorta expect the later version of software to be more tolerant rather than less.

I know you guys are focussing on media and I agree that not all media/drive combinations work well, but it usually is exactly that media/drive combinations, that tend to be independent of decent burning software (assuming the burns are being attempted at the maximum supported speeds. The CMC MAG discs work fine with the samsung and other burning software, including IMGburn 2.1.0.0...it's just a problem with 2.2 (only)

I also agreee that the media i mentioned are cheap media (the memorex ones are not of course), but I am sure you can understand my confusion. Im not trying to be difficult, but hopefully the developer will have a look and check exactly what was changed that could cause this problem.

I also agreee that the media i mentioned are cheap media (the memorex ones are not of course),

might be dearer but they could still be crap, manufacturer is not as important as the dye they use and memorex will not be making the media themselves they leave that job to the cheapest when in skinflint mode and when feeling luxurious may give the job to someone half decent.

Pop one of the memorex disc's in then post Disc ID

also try burning at 8x instead of max

Maybe the actual Media ID of the older CMC's you are using is different to the current batch with which you are having troubles ? As above tho I wouldn't use them as they are too problematic..... don't take my word for it have a look at the Drives/Media section of this forum :)

DaveC,

I understand that every respondent on this subject, and in other posts, is a Verbatim shareholder?

My LG GSA-H10N firmware JL12(lock removed) burns a lot.

Last year:

-50x Ritek R05-01 full printable(12x)

-100x Optodisc R16(16x)

-100x CMC MAG E01(8x) silver top full printable

-100x Benq Daxon AZ3(16x)

Total of 6 coasters or partial none-read discs, probably my mistake. Done some things during the burning process.

Always burn +DL no Verbatim and no problems with these discs!

Also burned some no Verbatim discs three years ago and in excellent condition today, a different burner of course.

What I leant is that you should not start/save/edit a program/file during the burn process.

Verbatim is OK.

Question: What are these replys all about :whistling:

Edited by wishfull

No we're not shareholders, we just recommend them because it makes our lives so much easier.

Once people start using them, they stop having problems.

This forum is meant for the program, not for sorting out media issues. After a while (5 years), you get tired of telling people the same things over and over again - use shit discs and you'll get shit burns - you get what you pay for.

As for 2.1.0.0 working and 2.2.0.0 not, the fact of the matter is, the drive controls the burn quality, not the software. I couldn't have made this one create lower quality burns if I'd tried, it just doesn't work like that.

The software simply supplies the data and tells the drive which sector to write it to - and if that was wrong, the program wouldn't work for anyone, ever!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.