DVD-R, DVD+R DL Problems

wowzas

Well, I've researched this for a while now trying to fix my problem.

First, system specs.

Mobo: A8V-E Deluxe

CPU: AMD 3500+ S939

Drive: Samsung SH-S183L (w/newest drivers)

Media Tested: Memorex, DVD-R(1-16x), DVD+R DL(1-2.4x), Imation CD-RW (1-4x)

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c177/wow...pg?t=1171435837

This is the error i get everytime, for DVD-R or DVD+R DL.

I've tried a couple things to fix this, the SH-S183L (which is sata) is not on a sata raid, i set it to IDE. Tried lowering it to 2.0x but it still burns at 2.4x. So far I ran through about 5 DVD-R's and 12 DVD+R DL's. I managed to burn a successful CD-RW audio disc so i know the drive CAN burn. I'm wondering if it really is the media because it doesn't seem like it's even getting to the verifying part. When I insert the DVD i just burned it also shows up as an empty CD for some reason. Is there a problem with the lead-in possibly or what? Any clues? Any help is much appreciated. I'll search the forums a bit more but i didnt see anything fitting my problem so far.

I 22:58:56 Operation Started!

I 22:58:56 Source File: D:\Downloads\Finished\GITS.COMPLETE.SERIES.DVD9.DD5.1&DTS\gits_2nd_gig_vol1_dts.iso\GITS_2ND_GIG_VOL1_DTS.ISO\GHOST_IN_THE_SHELL_2ND_GIG_V1_DTS.MDS

I 22:58:56 Source File Sectors: 3,026,190 (MODE1/2048)

I 22:58:56 Source File Size: 6,197,637,120 bytes

I 22:58:56 Source File Volume Identifier: GHOST_IN_THE_SHELL_2ND_GIG_V1_DTS

I 22:58:56 Source File Implementation Identifier: Daikin U.S. Comtec Lab

I 22:58:56 Source File File System(s): ISO9660, UDF (1.02)

I 22:58:56 Destination Device: [3:2:0] TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S183L SB01 (E:) (SCSI)

I 22:58:56 Destination Media Type: DVD+R DL (Disc ID: RITEK-D01-01) (Speeds: 2.4x)

I 22:58:56 Destination Media Sectors: 4,173,824

I 22:58:56 Write Mode: DVD

I 22:58:56 Write Type: DAO

I 22:58:56 Write Speed: MAX

I 22:58:56 Link Size: Auto

I 22:58:56 Test Mode: No

I 22:58:56 BURN-Proof: Enabled

I 22:58:56 Optimal L0 Data Zone Capacity: 1,586,544

I 22:58:56 Optimal L0 Data Zone Method: Copied From Original Disc

I 22:59:47 Filling Buffer... (20 MB)

I 22:59:48 Writing LeadIn...

I 22:59:51 Writing Image...

I 22:59:51 Writing Layer 0... (LBA: 0 - 1586543)

I 23:15:50 Writing Layer 1... (LBA: 1586544 - 3026189)

I 23:30:30 Synchronising Cache...

I 23:30:32 Closing Track...

I 23:30:34 Finalising Disc...

I 23:32:58 Image MD5: 827d28d080ff2609aa9da0e90674bd1c

I 23:32:59 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:34:02

I 23:32:59 Average Write Rate: 3,292 KB/s (2.4x) - Maximum Write Rate: 3,413 KB/s (2.5x)

I 23:32:59 Cycling Tray before Verify...

W 23:33:06 Waiting for device to become ready...

I 23:33:33 Device Ready!

I 23:33:33 Operation Started!

I 23:33:33 Source Device: [3:2:0] TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S183L SB01 (E:) (SCSI)

I 23:33:33 Source Media Type: DVD+R DL (Book Type: DVD+R DL) (Disc ID: RITEK-D01-01) (Speeds: 2.4x)

I 23:33:33 Image File: D:\Downloads\Finished\GITS.COMPLETE.SERIES.DVD9.DD5.1&DTS\gits_2nd_gig_vol1_dts.iso\GITS_2ND_GIG_VOL1_DTS.ISO\GHOST_IN_THE_SHELL_2ND_GIG_V1_DTS.MDS

I 23:33:33 Image File Sectors: 3,026,190 (MODE1/2048)

I 23:33:33 Image File Size: 6,197,637,120 bytes

I 23:33:33 Image File Volume Identifier: GHOST_IN_THE_SHELL_2ND_GIG_V1_DTS

I 23:33:33 Image File Implementation Identifier: Daikin U.S. Comtec Lab

I 23:33:33 Image File File System(s): ISO9660, UDF (1.02)

I 23:33:33 Verifying Sectors... (LBA: 0 - 3026189)

W 23:33:38 Failed to read Sector 0 - Logical Block Address out of Range

E 23:33:41 Failed to read Sector 1 - Logical Block Address out of Range

E 23:33:41 Failed to Verify Sectors!

E 23:33:41 Operation Failed! - Duration: 00:00:08

I 23:33:41 Average Verify Rate: 0 KB/s (0.0x) - Maximum Verify Rate: 0 KB/s (0.0x)

(Edit: added the log)

(Edit 2: after reading i guess it could be the media, the thing is i had no problem before with my DVD-R's, i had 0% failure rate, then when i tried to burn a strait .iso with ImgBurn it killed 5 discs, not attacking you guys, ImgBurn seems like a great program, its just that i dont understand why everything started to magically fail o_O, I'm going to try to burn strait data to the disc instead (VIDEO_TS, random music, etc). Ill post my results tomorrow probably.) (Once again, nice program do appreciate the work put into it.)

Also, if i could ask a question, how is burning a .iso file different from burning the VIDEO_TS folder, if i were to rip VIDEO_TS from the dvd i burned it to, would it come out as an .iso? Is there an advantage to burning a .iso over burning just the VIDEO_TS folder? I'm just under the assumption that when you burn a .iso your actually burning the folders inside the .iso? Not sure.

Edited by wowzas

from your posted logs you're using CMC MAG discs and Ritek Dual Layers .In a word your media is crap both of them.If you did some reading then you should have seen the recommendations of the forum VERBATIM ONLY for dual layer and Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden for single layer media if you choose to use anything else then you see the results .

get some good media and watch your problems go away

So theres nothing special to the error message im receiving? Even though it doesnt even get to verifying the disc or anything? Or the fact that all the same media i previously used had a 0% failure rate until the very last 5 when i tried burning .iso images? I'm just wondering because it seems like the error message i get is a little different from the normal "failed to verify" stuff that everyone else here gets. You see my dilemma? 0% failure rate that rose to 100% failure rate and killed 20+ discs so far when i had no problem before.

So 2 questions:

Does that error really signify a failed burn? (thats pretty much all i need answered, what is the error actually saying?)

Did Ritek manufacture Memorex's DVD+R DL's or something?

Even though it doesnt even get to verifying the disc or anything?
What do you mean? It's erroring out during the verify stage!

I 23:33:33 Verifying Sectors... (LBA: 0 - 3026189)

W 23:33:38 Failed to read Sector 0 - Logical Block Address out of Range

Notice the 'Verifying Sectors' part?

The drive appears to have just written nothing / rubbish to the disc. It hasn't burnt a usable disc and the drive has probably failed to reinitialise the disc properly after it had been ejected as part of the burn / verify process.

Another drive might read it fine... who knows?

Memorex just sell Ritek / Ricoh discs. They don't make any themselves.

You can tell who they're really makes them by looking at the disc / manufacturer id.

I 23:33:33 Source Media Type: DVD+R DL (Book Type: DVD+R DL) (Disc ID: RITEK-D01-01) (Speeds: 2.4x)

So in this case, your discs are RITEK's.

The only decent double layer ones are made by Verbatim and come with the MKM dye.

Thanks lightning, for some reason i didn't read through the whole thing and i thought it was getting the error before trying to verify.

Ill buy some Ritek's, know of any retail stores that sell them? I don't think fry's or bestbuy does.

Anyway, thanks for the help and the information i guess i was just making a simple problem more complicated than it should be.

edit: ok for some reason my DVD player can play the DVD's but my computer can't, (any reason why?). The first two discs i burned weret able to play in the DVD burner but this one was able to o_O. So I guess my next question is, why can't my computer play the DVD's? Any suggestions?

Edited by wowzas

Ill buy some Ritek's, know of any retail stores that sell them? I don't think fry's or bestbuy does.
NOOOO!!! lol!

Buy Verbatims!

You have Riteks at the moment and they don't work ;)

I believe meritline (or something like that) is a good place to buy from in the US.

All you need to look for is Verbatim DVD+R DL 2.4x discs. There must be loads of places that sell them.

edit: ok for some reason my DVD player can play the DVD's but my computer can't, (any reason why?). The first two discs i burned weret able to play in the DVD burner but this one was able to o_O. So I guess my next question is, why can't my computer play the DVD's? Any suggestions?

The drives firmware probably doesn't support them properly and it just can't figure out how adjust the laser power correctly so it can read them.

As I said before...

:D

NOOOO!!! lol!

Buy Verbatims!

You have Riteks at the moment and they don't work ;)

I believe meritline (or something like that) is a good place to buy from in the US.

All you need to look for is Verbatim DVD+R DL 2.4x discs. There must be loads of places that sell them.

Lol my bad i did mean Verbatim's, i can find Riteks easy but at fry's (where i work n i can get huge discount) i can only find Memorex, Maxell and other generic stuff.

The drives firmware probably doesn't support them properly and it just can't figure out how adjust the laser power correctly so it can read them.

As I said before...

:D

Yea because you said that i decided to test it in my DVD player.

Once again, thanks for the help and ImgBurn is a really great program, A+ accomplishment.

i can find Riteks easy but at fry's (where i work n i can get huge discount) i can only find Memorex, Maxell and other generic stuff.

Problem is a huge discount on a pile of crap isn't really worth anything - perhaps you could ask your Store Manager to get decent media like Verbatims into stock ?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.