Multisession Disk

ol'lo

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank's for the tip LUK! :) I appreciate all your efforts, but personally then i will still use EAC for writing the audio session, since it supports offset corrected writing and although that feature isn't a critical feature, then it's nonetheless nice, since you e.g. get the possibility of being able to rip the copies back with AccurateRip verification support and also to be able to make copies of copies in several generations without loosing audio samples... This issue is of course entirely my own problem and not yours, and i appreciate all your great work on ImgBurn nonetheless :)

Unimportant blabbing follows :sleeping:

I used to use IsoBuster to extract the data track from the second session, but i have now changed to instead using Nero's 'Extras > Save Tracks' feature to save the data track into a .nrg image file. The reason for this was that IsoBuster dosen't re-allocate the filesystem before making the image, so if i e.g. needed to extract the data out of the image file later on, then IsoBuster couldn't do it, since the relative references of the filesystem where now invalid, and neither could any other apps if they didn't supported automatic reallocation of the filesystem. Also, Nero wouldn't write a IsoBuster made image of the data track onto an appendable CD-R either(since Nero dosen't support writing non-reallocated images of second session data tracks). I now use Nero for making the images since Nero intelligently re-allocates the filesystem when making the image so that i if needed can extract the files out of it without a problem with e.g. IsoBuster and then Nero also re-allocates the filesystem back when writing the image file to an appendable CD-R also.

...Personally, then i never make the normal type of multi-session writings, because of the very low price on empty media, which then in my head makes such operations totally useless, but the ability of doing non-linked multi-session writings is however something that i would personally really appreciate being added to ImgBurn, as it's not a question of simply saving a few pence, but actually fullfills a real purposse, like e.g. recreating CD-Extra releases with EAC written appendable CD-Rs...

Sorry guys - I promise that this is the very last time for me to keep repeating this feature request of mine :)

• 5 weeks later...
Multisession Is only missed by Scrooge and anyway 1 person is hardly a lot of people or at a push 2

A disc to be burnt is either full or no need to be written.

But do not get too upset about it hardly the end of the world if you have to use 500 meg to install nero

:& Nero is for masochists. I don't think there is any possibility that I ever consider installing Nero.

A good reason for multisession CD-R is to use puppy linux effectively. Basically it allows you to have a bootable CD with OS and all your settings complete, that you can take to any computer. Saving settings requires multisession functionality.

More info can be found here: http://www.puppyos.com/multi-puppy.htm as well as in many other places.

Some users should try to be less dismissive of valid requests, even if they don't understand the rationale completely.

• 3 months later...
Nope, post number 4 (above) still applies.

:(

Now I'll have to depend on bad s/w like Nero just to use that one small feature multi-session (which I regularly use).

In all the departments ImgBurn rocks.

Thnx a lot Luk.

But kindly think about adding muti-session feature too.

your argument for pupply linux falls down cos you can run it from flash memory

Not to start a slanging match, but that statement is inherently wrong. You are not even considering the fact that not all computers can boot from USB drives, and therefore multisession boot CDs like Puppy Linux are still very essential.

On the topic of multisession discs, there are very useful when making incremental backups, so you don't need to waste discs unnecessarily. I am currently considering using multisession recording for Xvid files I am creating from TV recordings, and want to add each weeks recording to the disc until the disc is full, and then close it. It just seems daft to a) keep all the files on HDD until the disc is full or B) keep copying the files from the disc to the HDD each week, adding that weeks file to the set and burning it all back to disc (also meaning I would have to be using DVD-RW).

I just don't have the disc space at the moment to be keep the files on HDD all the time - I'm working with up to 20GB of video footage a day - and that's just raw - never mind editing/trimming & converting!

Anyway, that's just my opinion... doesn't mean I'm write or wrong... or that anyone else is either!

your argument for pupply linux falls down cos you can run it from flash memory

Not to start a slanging match, but that statement is inherently wrong. You are not even considering the fact that not all computers can boot from USB drives, and therefore multisession boot CDs like Puppy Linux are still very essential.

On the topic of multisession discs, there are very useful when making incremental backups, so you don't need to waste discs unnecessarily.

My thoughts exactly. I'm regularly using bootable cd's, as USB bootable device compatibility is an issue for a lot of systems. These bootable discs need regular updating: new versions of recovery tools, virus definifition files, bugs in the multiple bootable environments on it, etc. It would be a rather expensive task to write a new disc for every minor change, and the readability of rewritable media is far from optimal.

Furthermore, I think incremental backups alone would justify the implementation of multisession writing: one should be able to make backups at any time, not just when there's enough data to fill up an entire disc. When it comes to that, it might already be too late... In addition, the absence of multisession writing would make one to use a less reliable rewritable medium for crucial backups.

My thoughts exactly. I'm regularly using bootable cd's, as USB bootable device compatibility is an issue for a lot of systems. These bootable discs need regular updating: new versions of recovery tools, virus definifition files, bugs in the multiple bootable environments on it, etc. It would be a rather expensive task to write a new disc for every minor change, and the readability of rewritable media is far from optimal.

Furthermore, I think incremental backups alone would justify the implementation of multisession writing: one should be able to make backups at any time, not just when there's enough data to fill up an entire disc. When it comes to that, it might already be too late... In addition, the absence of multisession writing would make one to use a less reliable rewritable medium for crucial backups.

I can't help it. Here's my 2c worth.

Re: Systems with non-bootable USB drives:-

Without knowing any details on who you're talking about exactly, (yourself or other people using your end product), I suggest that if the ability to perform a boot from a flash drive is needed, buy some hardware that supports it. My crappy Athlon 2400 boots from a flash drive. It's 5 years old and currently running FreeNAS. It has a stonking 256MB of RAM and 4 x 400gig HDs in it. It's pretty much useless for anything else but I can't ask the software vendors to downgrade their software to support such antiquated and crappy hardware.

Re: Media expense:-

You say you're using CDs? I bought a tub of 100 Taiyo Yuden CDs a few weeks back for $30. That's 30c each. Doing one backup a day, your backup costs for the entire month is $9. $108 for the year. That's works out at:

Less than 1 x junior burger per week or

Less than 1 x beer per week or

About 6 x cigarettes per week.

Hardly a bank-breaker.

Less than 1 x junior burger per week or

Less than 1 x beer per week or

About 6 x cigarettes per week.

Shamus...Who can fault logic like this??? Sorta makes it all much more clear when you look at the big picture......:thumbup:

As for me, I think that the Boss said

So in short, I don't know when (if ever) it'll be implemented. Sorry.
and
means
So in short, I don't know when (if ever) it'll be implemented Sorry.
and until he decides that it means maybe or could be or yes...it's a simple
and people should get on with it and quit bitching that a great and free program like ImgBurn doesn't do everything THEY want it to. <_<

So the fact that it doesn't cost *much* relatively to food or drinks justifies the burning of an unnecessary amount of discs with great redundancy? Furthermore, I could hardly say that with a disc a day/week, it can all remain well-organized. Bottom line, it's just unnecessary to burn a new disc if there's space left to update/add new files.

Apart from the use, I do think multisession writing is a fundamental characteristic of cd/dvd authoring. I think many potential users will stop being interested in such a great product after becoming aware of the fact that this feature isn't implemented.

Nevertheless, I do get your point from a die-hard recording point of view: multisession is not exactly like efficiently using up disc space, while the TOC has to be written to the disc with every session (13-14MB for CD's). But if there is such space available anyway, and since multisession discs do not cause compatibility issues in almost any case, it does add a significant amount of flexibility. And flexibility is one of the main characteristics what makes this program so great.

So the fact that it doesn't cost *much* relatively to food or drinks justifies the burning of an unnecessary amount of discs with great redundancy?

Nope, not necessarily that or the waste of disc space or any other reason. I believe it is a matter of respect for the author of the program. The question was asked, answered, asked again, answered and then after that, writers keep pounding it to death, not really with a chance to affect the change they want, but to keep up an argument that the Boss has been asked and has answered many times. Reading about it gets frustrating for those of us who are not coders, just ordinary schmucks with a little more knowlege of the inner-workings of the program than most, and if writers would step outside of their sand box and imagine what it takes for the Boss to keep seeing the same whiney subject matter posted time after time; maybe users will be thankful that such a program came out of the mind of one person and that, since it's his program, what he wants it to be is what it should be.

I agree, it's just plain nagging and therefore immature. However, with the passage of time, people's moods and priorities change (e.g. there was such a groundswell to burn files and folders that the boss implemented Build mode).

Nonetheless, LUK has made his position clear.

Regards

• 1 month later...
Aside from the issue of whether a multisession feature is needed, I am wondering if this feature is quite difficult to program into the app.

I don't think that it would take more than a few hours. I think its not much more than adding a checkbox so that the program wouldn't close the disk, making imgburn to check the disk and calculating the free space. And if I understand correctly imgburn can write multi session disks using a .cue file, so it's just adding some gui elements.

Everything only takes a couple of hours to people with no idea what they're talking about.

Apart from sex

Just a few minutes for you donta....is that counting getting undressed and finishing off a smoke afterwards? :teehee:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.