This may seem simple but...

jason t

Hi all,

Very sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but I did check the FAQs...

Imgburn seems very well designed, and I WANT to like it, but I'm not sure if it can do what I need it to. All I want is to make a backup copy of DVDs that I already own, and then play them back on my computer. I don't really need to burn them back to DVDs. I've tried it using the "read" mode, but I end up with files that none of the media players on my computer can recognize.

Is there some way to use ImgBurn to do this, or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks very much in advance

Jason T

you're barking up the wrong tree ,IB wont rip dvd's with copyright protection on them and even though you own the dvd its still illegal to copy it

IB only reads unencrypted dvd's

Hi all,

Whether or not it is illegal to copy a CD or DVD depends very much on local legislation. In Holland for example it is perfectly legal to make a copy for your own use (well, for as long as it lasts.....). That means I can use a program like AnyDVD, which makes copyright protection invisible for ImgBurn (or CloneDVD, or Nero, or whatever other program you wish to use). The only problem is that I can't use the verify option, because it always returns errors. But then ImgBurn never let me down, and it saves time too. ImgBurn by the way is so kind as to warn the user for this problem if it detects AnyDVD is running.

Another option is using DVD Decrypter. At least until version 3.5.2.0 (which I have) Decrypter ignores copyright protection even without a program like AnyDVD.

Mind you, I don't encourage anyone to make illegal copies of DVD's (according to local legislation), either to the hard drive or to a DVD. If you decide to do something illegal, it is entirely at your own risk.

Please guys, don't shoot!

I visited the ImgBurn forum for the first time, and impulsively posted a reply without being aware yet of the do's and don'ts. They are now VERY obvious, thank you. It won't happen again.

Ah no worries, we mostly don't shoot a first offence..... :D

Damn...LFC...is that another memo I missed???

I gotta get better glasses...

:rolleyes:

Same here Spinner. I wish I had known that before...before... Hell, never mind. It's best left alone. :whistling: :whistling:

The Dutch survived the Spanish, the French and the Germans, so hell, what's a few gators more or less. They taste great, by the way.

Incidentally, why do I have the feeling we're completely off track here, as far as the original issue is concerned?

Never mind, I'm still glad I found ImgBurn, so I forgive you. Isn't that nice of me? :huggles:

I didn't get that one either spinner - therefore I think we are ok to keep our weapons in hand.....

be carefull with it ,somebody said it has a hair trigger and can go off without warning :innocent:

Hey boss, isn't it time you kick your people back to work? They start threatening me again! :matrix:

I 04:53:04 ImgBurn Version 2.2.0.2 Beta started!

:yes: been back in the salt mines :heat: for a little while already :coffee:

OK, back to being serious, and to the original issue:

Like Jason T I don't understand why ImgBurn can't copy the files from a DVD to the hard drive. Polopony replied that it will not because of the copyright protection, but is that really the (only) reason? After all, ImgBurn won't make an image of a protected DVD, but it will of an unprotected one. So why can't ImgBurn copy the files if the DVD is not protected, and refuse to when it is?

because circumventing copy protection is illegal in the UK , this is where Lightning UK! allegedly lives, so if the programme circumvents this protection ,then he is risking a huge fine or a prison sentance, neither he or we want that to happen. if you want a software to bypass copy protection , then maybe you should put your future on the line and write one yourself ;)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.