Burn ISO inside RAR-archive.

Frog

It would be very useful, indeed, and isn't hard at all to implement, but we all know where most multi-file RAR archives come from, don't we?

Of course, one could argue that compressing an ISO with RAR could drastically decrease the size (mostly it does), but I don't think it would stick.

:pirate::busted::pirate:

Split RAR archives are used more for splitting the data for easier transfer over the (unreliable) Internet than for the compression.

By the way, ISOs of applications/games do compress quite well, even past the point of having a dual-layer ISO fit in a single-layer disc.

Not many, if any applications are on dual layer.

Games fair enough.

for mpeg4 stuff and any form of already compressed material like mp3s not much gain in time taken to compress versus a small saving of mb

Split archives for file sharing uploading services, yeah, but for download , get right and the many resuming download managers.

Split archives for file sharing uploading services, yeah, but for download , get right and the many resuming download managers.

The ability to resume doesn't mean that you're getting the file without errors. In fact, most download managers, by default, don't rolback when resuming.

This is so true that almost everywhere you find CRC/MD5 sums to check if the downloaded file wasn't modified, regardless of size. Even ImgBurn has it on its download page.

The one I use and have always used is Getright and it rolls back when resuming by default.

I cannot remember the last time i downloaded a file that had errors.

And what has this got to do with being able to burn ISO from within rar :D

LOL You will be quoting my spelling mistakes or my punctuation next

Sorry, I didn't mean to be pedantic. I try and quote the relevant part so one doesn't need to read the whole topic to understand what I'm talking about.

I was just trying to point out that there are valid reasons to store ISOs inside RAR archives, and if ImgBurn supported burning that, it'd be awesome.

But I doubt very much that LUK will ever implement that, since he wants to have only one EXE with absolute control over it, and to support RAR he'd have to use UnRAR.DLL and/or other external DLLs.

Yeah but if it was a film why wouldn't you un-rar it first ? This just seems a bit lazy to me.......

Well yes. But still it would save some time for people that are lazy. Several minutes each time un-raring is not needed.

And for what I have unserstod it would not be to harde to implement. Just concatenating the data inside the rar-arachive that mostly not is compressed, just follwing the headers inside the arvhive to find all data-files and remove the headers from the files. :)

Anyhow, requested by me. Its up to you. :)

Yeah it's your request :) I just can't see the point, for e.g. a rar'd DVD Video ISO will not play on any players that I know so it seems pretty pointless - don't worry I am obviously missing the point somewhere here.

Well... yes you are.

Of course I do not want to burn the ISO on the DVD. I want to create a DVD from the ISO that recedes inside a rar-archive.

So to what I want in details:

1. I backup my DVD to an ISO-file on disk just as normal.

2. I archive the recently created DVD-iso in a multi-file rar-archive.

3. Later I want to burn a DVD from the ISO that I previously made. (or some may say received in a some other way, what do I know? ;) )

4. I want to do that using ImgBurn without first un-raring the image to disk, I just let ImgBurn find the ISO inside the rar-archive and burn a DVD using the ISO as source on the fly. :)

I just want to keep my rared ISO's and the player i XBMC (XBOX MediaCenter) can play the rar:ed ISO.

Still thinks this would be an awsome feature! :)

/F

Edited by Frog

you still have to take the time to rar the ISO in first place, how many copies will you need to justify the time taken to rar it in first instance against having to extract it, eg 1 copy 1 extraction. not worth the hassle for little saving.

I agree with donta. Why would you bother? Yes, XBMC can extract then play an ISO contained within a rar file but what do you gain? HDs are so cheap these days it isn't funny. Farting around with archives to save a meg or two seems pretty pointless.

As I said before...

or some may say received in a some other way, what do I know? ;)

Some peopled obviously does not like the feature; however I think is would be fantastic! :) Like a wet dream coming true! :)

/F

The only reason I can think of for wanting this feature is being able to extract and burn multi-rar torrent files. Some might argue that they seed linux distros but it's a pretty weak arguement when they can be downloaded directly from a webpage alot more quickly. I don't like your chances of having this implemented.

The only reason I can think of for wanting this feature is being able to extract and burn multi-rar torrent files. Some might argue that they seed linux distros but it's a pretty weak arguement when they can be downloaded directly from a webpage alot more quickly. I don't like your chances of having this implemented.

:innocent:

/F

Yeah it's your request :) I just can't see the point, for e.g. a rar'd DVD Video ISO will not play on any players that I know so it seems pretty pointless - don't worry I am obviously missing the point somewhere here.

Hmm...

1) The request Frog made I am sure was for extracting images from inside RAR-archives and burning them on-the-fly, not burning the RAR-archives... (so I don't get what difference it would make if there were any players that would play RAR:ed ISO:s or not?)

2) As far as software media players, VLC, for one, plays mpeg2-streams from inside RAR-archives, if that makes any difference.

I would love to be able to burn straight from RAR:s, so add me to the list of requestors. :)

• 7 months later...

i cant believe you all dont get the point of that... that would be the best function ever

anyone have heard about "share ratios"? because of that, you cannot (or wouldnt) delete your rar files... but if it is a avi file or mp3 file, xbox media center do the job (btw, coming to a linux box near you very soon), and you can use your files without extracting it (doublin the required space)... but, if the file is a ISO file... no program in the world can burn it without extracting

in the case of rar files, with 1 little DLL is possible to do that, but no commercial software in the world gives a shit to what users really need... not the case of imgburn though

hard disks isnt cheap in every corner of the world... i know 90% of the world doesnt care about the rest of the world, but right now, i dont have enough space to extract my kubuntu iso file (i know i have downloaded a archived version errouneously but thats my real case), but when i've started downloading that, i had 4,5 gbs of free space (witch should be enough)...

*sorry for my bad english, hope you all understands me*

• 2 months later...

I know for a fact there is (or was, anyway) software that could mount a ZIP archive as a virtual disk, the same way dozens of freely available tools can mount ISO image files as virtual CD/DVDs. I'd be surprised if such a thing didn't exist for RAR archives -- perhaps even multipart ones (similar to how Norton Ghost is able to create multipart hard disk images, and mount them as virtual disks.)

It shouldn't take the proverbial Rocket Scientist to conclude how the ability to make a RAR archive appear as a disk, would apply to the original request in this thread. :rolleyes:

Even if I'm wrong and there's no such thing at present (or impractically expensive), perhaps Frog would better focus his efforts on getting someone to implement it, thus killing many more birds than would be bagged by another feature extension to ImgBurn's already impressive portfolio!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.