One drawback to face transplants

dbminter

Now, it's been all over the news lately, but, only a handful of times do they ever go to the logical conclusion. Okay, so, yes, the world's first successful face transplant was performed. But, one thing they have only touched upon briefly. As a transplant... the new face must come from... SOMEWHERE! :& Now, surely, since a living person wouldn't willingly give up their face, they have to come from corpses! :o Also, a face transplant means you have someone ELSE'S face! Imagine the implications... :devil:

And those corpses have to be from organ donors who obviously don't want an open casket funeral, and likely aren't that "pretty" to begin with. The phantom of the opera look may be a better alternative.

fancy going thru all the pain and trauma of losing your face in a nasty way, then waking up in hospital with a Doctor hovering over you explaining what happened, then showing you a mirror and finding out the donor's face is even more ugly than you was before :lol: .

:doh::P

I think from reading about this procedure you don't end up looking completelty like the donors face. The skin from the donor is peeled off and then placed over your face and thus will maintain your current structure - so if you had a big nose and deep set eyes you still will have after the procedure.

In the case of this french woman I believe only the bottom half of her face, mouth and chin were replaced and the belief is she won't look much different to how she did before the accident.

Although I understand this one might be noticeable in that she is white and the donor was black !! =))

There was a guy not so long ago that tore his own face off while high on PCP. Maybe they used that.

Oh wait, he fed it to his dogs... :ermm:

No, that was the Ren And Stimpy short, "A Yard Too Far." :lol:

Also a main scene in "Hannibal".

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.