Colors Lead to Layer-Break Selection Woes

As someone who just recently tried out the dual-layer functionality of ImgBurn, I was happy to find that ImgBurn offers a selection of layer-break points, rather than just automatically choosing one. This dialog box, as seen in the attachment, shows that functionality.

Unfortunately, I am slightly color-blind. I am not able to tell between the color representations for "Excellent" and "Good" layer break positions. Could the icons for these be changed to colors that are more easily differentiable, like bright red?

post-6794-1176000934_thumb.png

Well, bright red would typically mean "Do NOT select this or your computer will explode", so I don't know that a bright red star would be used any time soon. Colored smileys, perhaps? =P

Actually, I think what would be more beneficial would be to explain, somewhere (like here), what makes a position "good" etc... so you can pick for yourself. Or turn the stars into their own column and let you sort by it. :)

50/50

yeah there are a couple in the above IT would be the GREEN one 3rd from top image so whatever colour you see this as look for that in future.

If you wanted SPLIP though that choice would be no good and therefore 1 or 4 would be a good choice.

After reading your post again though, your saying you cannot differentiate between green and yellow, maybe if it would not mess up the Gui - L_UK could just after 50/50 or rather just after the percentage to correspond with the star rating, could include Ex for excellent, Vg for very good, G for good and Av for average or maybe on the tab after splip ?

Been a while since I have built a dual layer image but when you get to choose LB can you not hover mouse over stars and get some info that way ?

I tried extracting the icons from the EXE using resource editing, but couldn't do so successfully, so I created my own set.

These allow me to see the difference between "Excellent", "Very Good" and "Good". Grey seemed to be appropriate for "Average", so I left it alone.

I hereby put them into the public domain. I'd insert them into my EXE of ImgBurn, but can't figure out how.

EDIT: I just noticed, I accidentally changed the intensity of the grey. I've attached a new grey icon which closer replicates the original.

post-6794-1176254010_thumb.png

post-6794-1176254019_thumb.png

post-6794-1176254029_thumb.png

post-6794-1176254456_thumb.png

post-6794-1176254543_thumb.png

post-6794-1176254849_thumb.png

Edited by Chickenmonger

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry chickenmonger,

But at least for me, your colours are substiantially worse than those in the prog. The blue and green meld into each other and are far less distinguishable for us regular folks.

Perhaps for guys like you, a letter system could be done (EX, VG, G, AV)?

Regards

when i first saw this thread, i thought it was going to be a "wind up" , and i was going to tell you i use the braille feature on my touchscreen monitor , However , i have to agree you found a good point to raise about the colours/icons . im not colour blind myself, ( just going blind after studying the eye candy thread for too long) but i can see the point thats been raised .

i would go along the lines of Lmao2k's idea of "words" rather than smilies , depending on how difficult it would be to implement . And Blu's idea of letters "EX, VG, G, AV" as well

The smilies were actually Falcon's idea in the 2nd post!

I too like the smilies but I think they're a little unprofessional looking - not that ImgBurn isn't anyway!

Perhaps I can make it optional to use those instead of stars, but leave stars as the default.

Its a valid point about colours - any colour used might work against anyone with Dyschromatopsia.

I also feel that LUK's right about smilies giving it a teletubby look.

On SVP they rate products like: 9.8/10. How about something like that which could even distinguish between the same ratings on excellent to help the user choose?

A valid point about the smilies possibly looking amatuer-ish, however, the vast majority of users are looking for something *simple* to use. Something that automatically and easily identifies what layerbreak should be chosen for the best results. Given the years that many of us have spent leeching and learning from L_UK, I maintain that implememting something that cuts down on the questions asked in the forum is a good thing. A simple smily :) is pretty easy to understand, even for a beginner.

Unfortunately, I am slightly color-blind. I am not able to tell between the color representations for "Excellent" and "Good" layer break positions. Could the icons for these be changed to colors that are more easily differentiable, like bright red?

How about adding a tool-tip that pops up when the mouse is hovered over each star icon and gives the text description ("Excellent", Good", etc.) ? I don't know whether that's possible - and I suppose it might annoy people who don't need it, so we might also need a Preferences setting to switch it on or off.

How about adding a tool-tip that pops up when the mouse is hovered over each star icon and gives the text description ("Excellent", Good", etc.) ? I don't know whether that's possible - and I suppose it might annoy people who don't need it, so we might also need a Preferences setting to switch it on or off.

If I recall correctly, there's already a right-click option for each given layer-break option. Perhaps such a text description could be added as a greyed out option in that right click menu? I dunno. It's L_UK's choice.

Thanks all for noting this issue. It's a tiny, tiny suggestion for such a masterful program.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.