6 months

Shamus_McFartfinger

It went under on my birthday! :(

I like it! It's time to smack jack!!!!

Wow. It's been that long?

Time flies, huh?

This is the place where I've learnt most of my DVD knowledge. If not here, on other forums from posts from you regular people.

Same here. Personally, I'm curious why the multitude of other programs available to rip DVDs or music CDs are still allowed to be sold. For example.....

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=co...nG=Search&meta=

..... reveals 42.5 million hits, including many commercial copiers.

I suspect this years christmas pissup by a certain DVD protection syndicate will be rife with mutual admiration ("You did a superb job this year, my fellow executives,, for stopping the plague that is DVD piracy. Our shareholders are as nervous as a bunch of Arabs playing a game of "Pass the Parcel" at a Muslim birthday party but we'll tell them that everything is fine").

As one would expect, chronic group masturbation will be part of this years christmas festivities. One can only hope that the aforementioned festivities are enjoyed to the degree that foreheads will implode.

<steps off soapbox>

• 2 weeks later...
Same here. Personally, I'm curious why the multitude of other programs available to rip DVDs or music CDs are still allowed to be sold. For example.....

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=co...nG=Search&meta=

..... reveals 42.5 million hits, including many commercial copiers.

I kind of think this means they feared the decrypter program more than others. You gotta admit, it had the biggest following and best support.

Well, those 38 (When I checked the link.) million can be misleading. Since many are really just the same site with different links, subsites of the same place, and, mostly, places trying to sell you something. Which means selling you the same things, mostly. Just a small handful of utilities, actually. Now, the funny thing I've noted before (And it's amazing I'm still here. :wink:) is it appears that if you SELL your special utility in this field, no one comes after you. Unless you're 321 Studios. So, the most logical conclusion to reach is this: if backing up DVD's is legal as interpreted from the 321 case, and if owning a backed up DVD copy is legal as interpreted by the same case, and only the TOOLS necessary to MAKE the backup are illegal, as interpreted by the same case, and mostly only the free utilities are targeted, the final leap of reasoning must be that those who aren't gone after pay some kind of licensing fee to the MPAA/whatever. IF you give your product away, there's no money pool to pull fees from. Hence, the free guys are usually the only ones targeted (I say 321 was an unusual case because they were the first ones with a product that SOLD and sold well.) because there can be no profits to get a license from. And, frankly, no one is going to make a freeware utility for anything if they have to pay a license for X part of the software.

DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed by the author of this message are not necessarily the opinions of the message itself.

Edited by dbminter

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.