Build Size for CD-R/RW

brit0n

Might sound simple, but is there a way to let ImgBurn know that you are building for standard (no overburn) CD-R/RW? (I'm particularly talking about data/bootable CDs as there is no way to guesstimate their size before preparing the build). If I forget to manually check, I end up building an ISO too large to fit a CD and have to repeat the build.

(I seem to remember that Nero did this by showing a size gauge as you added files which showed if you had hit the limit, but then Nero already knew the intended device before you built an ISO - saving the ISO was merely an option instead of burning. Yeah, I know, Nero fails to do a lot of burning things since they started trying to be everything to everyone.)

Even if the device selected (when Output is set to Device) is a CD burner rather than a DVD burner, when I set Output to Image File the Advanced | Media only show DVD types and Custom. I have to manually check the Information panel before building to ensure that the ISO won't be too large for the CD-R/CD-RW. Should I be setting Custom to the CD size and will this mean that the Information will show before the build that the ISO won't fit (or would require overburn)?

Thanks for any advice.

If you build on the fly, the program knows the media you're building for and will tell you when you try to actually write the disc that it won't fit.

When you're not building on the fly, no there's no way to tell it what media you're aiming for - the options for media type are purely there for the layerbreak stuff - they're not used for anything else.

All you can do is hit 'calculate' and work from what it tells you. If you forget to calculate, it's tough luck I'm afraid!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.