Windows Hibernate

dbminter

Anyone know where the Registry the keys are stored that turn off/on the Hibernate function in XP? Or Vista? In XP, you could easily turn off this disk space hog with a check box in Power Options. Thus getting rid of the HIBERFIL.SYS file in the root directory that apparently is always in use and equals your total amount of RAM. In Vista, this function seems to have been removed from Power Options. You can set Sleep and Hibernate advanced options to Never, but, that does not get rid of HIBERFIL.SYS. Even after reboot.

Or if anyone knows of a Registry key or a setting that can change the location of the C:\HIBERFIL.SYS, that can work as well as I can set the location of the file to the TEMPDIR partition I created, which never gets backed up.

Though I know no one will reply with anything helpful :lol: thanks!

Hey, thanks! I never expected a Vista answer at all! :o I admit, I don't search Microsoft often for answers to my Microsoft questions. ;) Past results have NOT been encouraging. :rolleyes:

If anyone still knows what Registry key might control Hibernate, the question is still open on that. I could in theory create a .REG file to make it easier to turn off with just a double click.

For Windows XP it would be:

;----- Disable Hibernate
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power]
"Heuristics"=hex:05,00,00,00,00,01,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,3f,42,0f,00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Session Manager\Power]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power]

But these values may vary on different configurations/systems (timeouts etc), so the better option still is powercfg.exe.

Now, if you really want the registry values for your current configuration, run Regmon, enable/disable hibernation with powercfg.exe and collect the data from Regmon :thumbup:

Ah, so it does require changing BOTH the CurrentControlSet and ControlSet001. I've seen more and more instances in my .REG files where I've added changing both because I wasn't sure if changing just the CurrentControlSet worked. It sometimes seemed to work and sometimes didn't in my tests.

I've not gotten my "free" Vista upgrade yet (came with the Gateway I bought last NOV) so I'm still using XP.

From what my programmer brother tells me, Vista is wretched mess. And Office 2007 is even worse.

Anyway, thanks to both of you for getting the info out there.

Even though I use a UPS with a program that sends the system into hibernate if its on battery after a fixed period, it's still good to know.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.