Cell Phone Safety -- how to avoid a $26K bill

Pain_Man

This is a must read for US cell phone owners....

I admit I didn't know some of this.

Original url: Cell Phones' costly secret

Cell Phones Costly Secret

Ten Steps to Cell Phone Security

by David Bach

Email this Page IM this StoryBookmark this StoryAdd to your Del.icio.us accountDigg this StoryPrint this Story

Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007, 12:00AM

Americans love their cell phones -- most of us can't live without them. Yet the Better Business Bureau reports that cell phone providers are the No. 1 cause of complaints among consumers.

This is mostly due to incorrect billing, confusing fees, unexpected charges, and deceptive contracts. These can certainly add up, but I was shocked to learn that the most significant -- even devastating -- monetary damage can occur when your cell phone is lost or stolen.

A $26,000 Cell Phone Bill

San Francisco resident Wendy Nguyen was even more shocked to receive a bill for $26,000 after her cell phone was unknowingly stolen before she left for an overseas vacation. Cingular held her responsible for charges incurred after the phone was taken, up until the time Wendy discovered the theft and called the carrier.

She was able to prove via airline and passport documents that she was out of the country and couldn't possibly have made the unauthorized calls from San Francisco during that time, but Cingular still held Wendy accountable for all charges.

Not only that, they advised Wendy that if she couldn't pay the bill she should consider filing for bankruptcy!

Adding Insult to Injury

Eileen Perrera's phone was stolen while she was on vacation. She filed a police report and contacted Sprint immediately, but then received a bill totaling almost $16,000. Sprint claimed to have never received the call from her reporting the stolen cell phone.

Eileen was able to submit proof from landline phone records that she had indeed called Sprint customer service. As her late fees piled up, the situation remained unresolved for months.

Then there's Pamela Woodson's story. When her cell phone was stolen, she reported it the very next day. However, by that time her account had already incurred over $1,800 in unauthorized charges. Due to the suspicious nature of the fraudulent charges, she was actually interviewed by the FBI -- and cleared of all responsibility. Nevertheless, T-Mobile pressed on, insisting she pay the outstanding charges in addition to late fees and interest.

Can This Be Legal?

If you dig through all the fine print in your cell phone contract, you'll most likely discover a statement that reads something like this: "Should your cell phone be lost or stolen you are responsible for any costs incurred for unauthorized calls made prior to reporting the cell phone missing."

Unlike a credit card, cellular contracts are not required to limit liability for fraudulent charges. But it's also important to realize that the extent of your liability as stated in your contract is your provider's policy -- it's not a law.

The laws that give consumers the right to dispute unauthorized charges vary from state to state. In states where the laws do exist, they're not doing much good because there's no single independent agency set up to review evidence, enforce the laws, and provide a timely resolution.

Why? It all comes down to money. In California, for instance, the significant financial contributions made by the wireless industry to state government gives the telecommunications industry enormous influence over entities like the Public Utilities Commission. In effect, this allows the wireless industry to make up its own rules.

Avoiding and Responding to a Theft

Are we at the mercy of an unregulated industry that's free of consequences and penalties? Not if we learn how to defend ourselves.

This year, an estimated 600,000 cell phones will be reported lost or stolen. Here are the 10 things you need to know to protect yourself from cell phone theft and fraudulent charges:

1. Guard your cell phone like you would your wallet.

Yes, this is obvious advice, but frankly the best way to not get stuck with fraudulent charges is to do what you can to prevent unauthorized calls in the first place.

On a related note, think twice about what information you store on your device. A stolen cell phone can not only lead to a huge bill, but to identity theft as well.

2. Password-protect your device.

Check the user guide that came with your phone and start using the "lock" or "password" feature to potentially prevent a thief from making unauthorized calls. There are ways to override passwords, but at the very least you might be buying yourself some time until you discover the loss and call your provider.

3. Don't be fooled by cell phone insurance.

Purchasing cell phone insurance will provide coverage for the device itself, but it won't protect you against charges for unauthorized calls.

4. Call your cell phone provider as soon as you discover the loss.

Report your missing device, and be sure to keep meticulous records including the date and time you called your carrier, the name and ID number of the representative to whom you spoke, and what you were told.

Also note the state or region of their call center, plus their telephone extension number. Finally, ask for confirmation in writing that your device has been disabled. Some companies can even email this to you.

5. File a police report.

This may not help your chances of getting the stolen phone back, but it still provides an official record of the crime. Your carrier may even require the police report number when you phone in the loss.

6. Open an investigation with your carrier if necessary.

If you find that you're not getting an immediate resolution by working directly with your cell phone company, don't waste another minute. Call your carrier and request an investigation, then follow up in writing. Generally, requesting an investigation gives you a better chance of preventing any formal collections action to be taken and should also delay reporting to any of the credit bureaus.

When you request an investigation, advise your carrier that you'll be filing a complaint with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), your state attorney general's office, and your state's public utility commission (PUC). Your carrier is more likely to pay closer attention to you when they know you're an informed consumer.

According to a 2006 AARP/Roper cell phone survey (of adults 18 and over) 48 percent reported not knowing who to call in the event their cell phone carrier could not resolve a billing or service problem to their satisfaction. Items 7 through 9 below shed some light.

7. Contact the FCC.

The FCC will forward your complaint to your service provider, requiring a response from them within 30 days. You can contact them via their web site or call them directly at (888) 225-5322.

8. Contact your state attorney general's office.

According to ConsumersUnion.org, state attorney general offices will handle complaints about cell phone fraud and contract disputes. This office has filed lawsuits against wireless companies based on consumer complaints, resulting in refunds to consumers and agreements by some companies to reform certain practices.

Find the contact information for your state attorney general's office here.

9. Contact your state's PUC.

Each state has a government agency, usually called a public utility commission, that oversees telephone companies. To locate your state's PUC online and to file a complaint, visit the National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners web site.

10. When all else fails, contact the media.

The wireless companies are particularly adverse to negative media attention, so until effective laws are put into place you may have to resort to contacting your local TV station.

The exact same thing happened to my family, but we were a little smarter I suppose. We had poof the cell phone was stolen because we called the police as soon as it happened. Soon after, TMobile tried to slam us with a $5,600 phone bill because some dude made phone calls to Iran using our cell phone. Since it was stolen, my father (he's scary) threatened to sue TMobile and collect money because of causing anger, frustration, and temporary insanity (I'm not kidding lol), and they knuckled under, and said "Ok, Ok, we won't charge you."

That --- was awesome. :)

This happened about half a year ago and now we use Sprint. Hopefully the same issues will not occur if this unfortunate event happened again. We keep very close tabs on our things in my family, and now even closer with our cell phones. We created a special password to even use our cell phone, so no one can get it. My dad home brewed the program to create the password. Don't you just love computer science? ;)

Interesting post Pain Man...I will be looking at password protection for my phone...

A friend of mine on a 12 month contract (UK) lost her phone after 2 months. It wasn't replaced by the insurance, I don't know why, but she still had to pay the rest of the contract time of 10 months even though she had no phone - they wouldn't let her cancel...

My old man's got that same kind of...scariness. Not quite the word, but it comes close. When we were kids he could just say one word and we'd freeze like deer in the headlights.

When the Chargers remodeled Qualcomm stadium they tried to nearly triple the price of the seats my parents had had for 30 (yes THIRTY!) years. My old man got on the phone went totally ballistic.

Next day the Vice Prez of Marketing for the team called him and gave him different seats, but in equally as good a location.

Sometimes it helps just to have people think you could postal. People tell me I have a look that is very intimidating. Personally, when I look in the mirror, I don't see it. I'm of average height and, unfortunately, a little pudgy. On the other hand, my Dad's only 5'9. Size, to coin a phrase, doesn't always matter most.

The exact same thing happened to my family, but we were a little smarter I suppose. We had poof the cell phone was stolen because we called the police as soon as it happened. Soon after, TMobile tried to slam us with a $5,600 phone bill because some dude made phone calls to Iran using our cell phone. Since it was stolen, my father (he's scary) threatened to sue TMobile and collect money because of causing anger, frustration, and temporary insanity (I'm not kidding lol), and they knuckled under, and said "Ok, Ok, we won't charge you."

That --- was awesome. :)

This happened about half a year ago and now we use Sprint. Hopefully the same issues will not occur if this unfortunate event happened again. We keep very close tabs on our things in my family, and now even closer with our cell phones. We created a special password to even use our cell phone, so no one can get it. My dad home brewed the program to create the password. Don't you just love computer science? ;)

Edited by Pain_Man

Interesting post Pain Man...I will be looking at password protection for my phone...

Thanks. I thought people would find it interesting. I naively assumed it worked the way regular landlines worked. I'm sure you remember the long distance calling cards that everyone had before cellular got cheap enough to practical for most of us?

Someone stole one from one of my aunt's and charged several thousands dollars worth of calls to--Iraq! (This was 1990 or so...)

My ex-wife managed to crib mine from me and ran up a $600 bill. I reported it stolen and that was that. I should have reported her but I figured if Sprint had known the relationship they'd have gone after me. Not that it would have matter back then (1995). I couldn't have gotten a loan from the Mob back then.

A friend of mine on a 12 month contract (UK) lost her phone after 2 months. It wasn't replaced by the insurance, I don't know why, but she still had to pay the rest of the contract time of 10 months even though she had no phone - they wouldn't let her cancel...

I don't really know how things work in the UK in re: cell phones. And obviously some of the stuff in the article ("contact the FCC") wouldn't apply.

I don't understand why your friend either didn't buy the phone or just pay the buy-out clause. Every cell phone constract I've ever signed or heard of has included a "Termination Fee" if you cancel the contract before it's up. It's usually 50% of the amount of the contract, give or take.

Several phones ago, I had a really good Nokia that had a security lock. Now we've got this super "advanced" Samsung (it can surf the web, take pictures, text, the whole nine yards) but it doesn't have a security lock! I don't need to surf the friggin' net on a 2 in screen. I do need to lock scumbags out of my phone.

The contract's coming up soon. NEXT time I'm going to make sure the phone has a security lock. If a thief can't make calls, he's going to just toss it or sell it to someone who can reprogram it with a different number. Either way, it limits my exposure.

I've been thinking about the TrackPhone/Pay as You Go, etc for a while now. Since I'm disabled and don't work, I don't need a cell phone all the time. So my wife and I didn't see the reason to hand them another $30/month (or more) for a phone I might use a few times a month.

The "rechargeable" phone is definitely the way I'm going to go. No monthly fee and I pay strictly for what I use.

One of my brothers-in-law just got out of the joint and my wife got him set up on a rechargeable. He just buys the cards (you can get them anywhere) and enters the pin number thru the phone and he's all set up. It even shows him how much money he's got left on his phone.

(Interestingly, the phone co is Virgin.)

Yeah, they are wildly profitable. In the US, the gov't auctions off the bandwidth for the phones and the amount of money the companies pay is insane. Hundreds of millions of dollars. Of course, they know they'll make billions in profits...

Mobile phone companies have a licence to print money - in many ways Pay As You Go is better option cos the thief can only spend what credit you have :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.