ImgBurn 1.1.0.0 Verify Fails But Nero Doesn't

karangguni

Krikes! You ought not to have to do all that! Also, there should be a newer Via 4-in 1... But go to the Asus site, and get theirs!

That is precisely the version that I am using now. I was using the latest VIA 4-in-1 drivers but I switched back to the version on Asus' website. VIA Arena advises against using the latest version if you are using certain older VIA chipsets. I don't remember which chipsets exactly, but I do recall the KT133A being in that list. What I observed when using the latest version of those drivers is that my writer was less able to tolerate media which was of inconsistent quality. I'm talking about media with things such as high tracking error levels on certain discs in a spindle, and not others, rather than crappy media such as INFODISC or fake TY. With the latest drivers, burn quality upon burning with such discs resulted in awful scans or coasters. Upon going back to the version on Asus' website, it seemed as if the writer was able to tolerate those inconsistencies. No coasters and better burn quality. I tested this with two different writers on two systems, one of which is the above system, the other another KT133A system (which strangely does not have a problem with Imgburn's verify option.

But your system is the same as the one I do most of my heavy burning on, except yours 200 MHz faster. Are you sure you are making coasters? Check your IDE cables, get new ones if you have to.

I know. I already changed IDE cables to a brand new set. No effect.

are dropped here and there. Another thing to think about is... That Pioneer DVD reader. I'm not familiar with BenQ? But Pioneer, I forget what they really are underneath the logo, but they are a pretty cheap brand. Sometimes, you just have to replace your equipment.

I'm not totally sure about Pioneer, but I doubt anyone else makes drives for them. In any case, this is a rather old model dating from 2001. I doubt Pioneer subbed out drive manufacture then. BenQ actually makes drives for other people. The Sony DRU-810A is actually an OEM BenQ DW-1640. for instance. In any case, I tried making an image with DVDD using both the Pionner DVD-ROM drive and the BenQ writer. I doubt the Pioneer has anything to do with it. Same problem.

Just some alternate stuff to think about, but I have this thing in my gut that you oughtta test that Pioneer unit, make sure it is being read right.
What I can try is to disconnect the Pioneer totally and do a burn. I don't see why it would make a difference, since if it was the Pioneer at fault, Nero's burns would screw up too.

Are both of those Units UDMA 33? Cos newer drives run at UDMA 66- Mine does...

The Pioneer does support UDMA66 (AFAIK, all Pioneer DVD-ROM drives and writers are UDMA66) but it will work fine on UDMA33. I have another Pioneer in different system running that way with no problems. The BenQ DW-1640 is a UDMA33 drive. There is a way to get it to work as UDMA4, but you have to cross-flash the thing with different firmware. Not going to do that.

Pioneer is Pioneer nobody making drives for them that I know of . I own a Pioneer 115 Rom thats older than the hills original firmware no updates and it reads everything I've thrown at in the last 6-8 years or something like that . They make good drives, maybe use a cleaning disc if you use it alot .Installing other layers ASPI I dont think is necessary SPTI works fine. I have an old ASUS board an A7V never updated drivers and never had a problem .My biggest complaint was other people using my comp and screwing it up

Get back to basics and go from there quality media ,and maybe you could borrow another burner for testing on that particular machine .You've covered a lot of ground with the things you've done already ,I think its media that causes most of the problems we see here and before IMGburn

Pioneer is Pioneer nobody making drives for them that I know of . I own a Pioneer 115 Rom thats older than the hills original firmware no updates and it reads everything I've thrown at in the last 6-8 years or something like that .

Speaking about ancient DVD-ROMs, I'm still using a Pioneer DVD-ROM 106 (FW 1.22) from 1999 on an old WIN98SE P3 machine for reading DVDs. That model is a slot loader, which I thought was cool at the time. It doesn't seem to recognize some DVD+R media, so I just use the DVD writer to read those disks. Haven't tried to update the firmware in years - doubt there's anything worth flashing out there.

Since I'm off topic, I'll get back on the ImgBurn 1.1.0.0 verify topic - I have yet to get any movie ISO file I've burned to a DVD to verify, so I just stopped checking that box. My standard procedure is to backup the original and only play that backup, just like I've been doing forever with audio CDs. I haven't noticed any discernible defects at all when actually playing either SL or DL burned movie DVDs backed up with ImgBurn - guess this verifies that ImgBurn really is a great product...

Get back to basics and go from there quality media ,and maybe you could borrow another burner for testing on that particular machine .You've covered a lot of ground with the things you've done already ,I think its media that causes most of the problems we see here and before IMGburn

I was using RICOHJPNR03 (proper Ricoh 16x DVD+R, not some rebrand) at first for these tests. Burn quality was beautiful (QS 99 in Nero CD Speed). The other thing I tested with was a piece of Verbatim 8x DVD+R (MCC003). Burn quality was good as well. Burn quality was again, good. I later switched to using Ricoh 8x DVD+RW (RICOHJPNW21) for these tests. These are all quality media so media should not be the cause. However, I'm not wasting my precious TY discs on tests!

I have two other burners I can use for tests (LG GSA 4163B, LG GSA 4167B - I'm one of those people for whom burning media is a strange hobby) so I don't have to borrow a drive. That is a good suggestion though. I will try to swop writers and see if :

1. using a different writer on that system produces the same problems

2. using the BenQ on a different system causes the problems there

Thanks for that suggestion. I suppose that is about the only thing left to try.

You never get a succesfully completed verify ? :unsure: Have you got an ImgBurn log you could post ? Also what media ID is on those discs your using ? The log will confirm it if you can post one of the failed to verify ones up !

I stand corrected! Both the Notebook with a USB writer running XP SP2, and the Desktop P3 computer running Win98SE, verify perfectly with ImgBurn 1.1.0.0 - it's only the Desktop P4 running XP SP1 that always fails to verify. Applying a little deductive logic to the attached log files, I conclude it's probably the FW 1.18 on the DVR-108 burner that somehow doesn't mesh with ImgBurn verify, since both the the burned SL and DL disks play fine. I use this Desktop P4 machine for about 75% of my DVD backups since it is the quickest of the three computers, so that's what led me to my faulty conclusion.

BTW - The DVD title "Vodka Lemon" is the first DVD-5 I've ever seen with structure protection. And it's an Armenian language DVD with English subs... strange!

Edit -- Oops - I didn't attach two of the ImgBurn Logs....

IMGBURN_November.log

ImgBurn_Vodka_Lemon.log

ImgBurn_Four_Brothers.log

ImgBurn_Great_Raid.log

Edited by grampaw

Alright, I tried the following :

- disconnected Pioneer DVD-ROM drive and burned using only BenQ 1640 alone - no go

- swopped BenQ 1640 for an LG GSA-4167B and used that to burn - no go

- put the BenQ 1640 into another system on which ImgBurn verify has no problems - works

So it is not the drive at fault. Whatever the problem is, I don't know. Getting kind of tired of it all.

Edited by karangguni

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I can add to this also as getting verfiy errors since starting to use 1.1.0.0

several ISO that were laying about the HD's (most made with DVDDC, sized between 3.6 and 4.1gb so not

pressing the limits of a disc).

burn/verify with DVDDC and they pass the verify

burn/verify with 1.1.0.0 and they ALWAYS get a verify error -

- at 100%

- in what appears to be the last sector

- always a 1 bit compare error

still had a copy of 1.0.0.0 laying about, so uninstalled 1.1.0.0, reboot, install 1.0.0.0, reboot and re-run tests..

all ISO burn/verify clean...

to summarize

6 different ISO's (on 3 different HD's)

3 different brands of discs (Maxell, Verbatim, TY)

1 burner (Pioneer 109)

Win2k SP4

DVDDC, 1.0.0.0 and 1.1.0.0

permute that and you get 54 burn/verify's

(yes, I'm methodical and persistant before I report an error)

all successful on DVDDC and 1.0.0.0

all fail verify on 1.1.0.0

this is not good

krana...,

winaspi and via 4 in 1 are a nono with windows xp

my 4 computers(7 burners) are all working perfectly

with no system aspi and default ms drivers, they

all have via chipsets except for one nvidia, no older hardware.

ImgBurn 1.0.0.0 (and all versions of DVD Dec) didn't verify the data, just that the sectors were readable.

I thought that had been made pretty clear already.

I verify every single burn I do (more to test the program than check the media!) and I've never had a failure. As such, this isn't a global issue with some basic coding error - and therefore it's not one I can fix as quickly as I might like to.

Just a follow-up on my Post #32 above.

Problem was that the Pioneer DVR-108 wtiter in my P4 desktop running WinXP SP1 seems to burn disks that play fine but won't verify with ImgBurn 1.1.0.0. My conclusion was it was the writer FW. Now I don't think so.

I updated the FW to the latest for both the DVR-108 writer and a Creative (rebadged BTC) writer also in that computer. Both writers put out disks that play fine, but won't verify. Thus, by simple deduction, the problem is not ImgBurn.

Latest theory is that it's either the MoBo FW, the RAID level 0 array with HDs that have parallel to serial converters, or maybe even WinXP SP1. This machine is not real stable - occasional BSODs irrespective of the running application that seem temperature. I plan to "renovate" this computer when I get inspired - "cooler" case, better CPU fan (not sure thermal compound was even used), update BIOS FW, skip the RAID bit and put all drives on normal IDE ports, reload OS with update to SP2, etc...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.