Problem: Makes 7.46GB image file out of 3.62GB DVD (so not enough space to burn)

dd22qq

Have used DVD Decrypter for many years without issue, however my first attempt at using ImgBurn was met with a problem. Here's how it played out:

1. Inserted single layer PS2 game DVD (God Of War), size = 3.62GB

2. Created image file on hard drive using READ mode (both ISO & MDS files created, as expected)

3. Image created is 7.46GB - if I then attempt to write the image back to a single layer DVD, the following message is given:

There doesn't appear to be enough space on this disc to burn the image.

Image size: 3,915,344 Sectors (7,647 MB)

Disc size: 2,297,888 Sectors (4,488 MB)

I don't ever remember encountering this problem with DVD Decrypter - where might I be going wrong? :unsure:

Hmm, if that's the case then either the drive/Windows is misreading the amount of data on the disc (both installed DVD drives recognise the disc the same way) or there's some structural trickiness going on by the game company. Maybe there's a program that tells whether a DVD is single or dual layer (?). Shall investigate further ...

Edited by dd22qq

Yeah, ImgBurn does!

Put the disc in and look at the info panel on the right.

The amount of data explorer shows on the disc has nothing to do with the actual size of the disc. You can't see 3gb of data and assume it's single layer (although 99% of the time it would be).

LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165P6S MS0R (ATA)

Current Profile: DVD-ROM

Disc Information:

Erasable: No

Sessions: 1

Sectors: 3,915,344

Size: 8,018,624,512 bytes

Time: 870:06:44 (MM:SS:FF)

TOC Information:

Session 1...

-> Track 01 (Mode 1, LBA: 0 - 3915343)

-> LeadOut (LBA: 3915344)

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):

Book Type: DVD-ROM

Part Version: 1

Disc Size: 120mm

Maximum Read Rate: 10.08Mbps

Number of Layers: 2

Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)

Linear Density: 0.293 um/bit

Track Density: 0.74 um/track

First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608

Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2,098,735

Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

Layer Information:

Layer 0 Sectors: 1,902,128 (48.58%)

Layer 1 Sectors: 2,013,216 (51.42%)

Seems it is indeed a dual layer DVD after all. Dunno what Windows is thinking. :whistling:

• 3 weeks later...
Have used DVD Decrypter for many years without issue, however my first attempt at using ImgBurn was met with a problem. Here's how it played out:

1. Inserted single layer PS2 game DVD (God Of War), size = 3.62GB

2. Created image file on hard drive using READ mode (both ISO & MDS files created, as expected)

3. Image created is 7.46GB - if I then attempt to write the image back to a single layer DVD, the following message is given:

There doesn't appear to be enough space on this disc to burn the image.

Image size: 3,915,344 Sectors (7,647 MB)

Disc size: 2,297,888 Sectors (4,488 MB)

I don't ever remember encountering this problem with DVD Decrypter - where might I be going wrong? :unsure:

I am having the same problem. I tried to follow this, but honestly I don't know what this means. Can you tell me if I will not be able to burn this dvd or is there another step I need to take? Thanks, Angelfire

I am having the same problem. I tried to follow this, but honestly I don't know what this means. Can you tell me if I will not be able to burn this dvd or is there another step I need to take? Thanks, Angelfire

As it was said above, put the disc in and read the information shown on the right side of ImgBurn's window. Paste that information here if you still have doubts.