Using ImgBurn to make a Windows XP boot CD

mcfruit

I've just starting using ImgBurn and was wondering how do you use it to create bootup CD's. I have a Windows XP service pack 2 cd and I wanted to make a backup one and I'm hoping that I could get some help on all that I need and what I need to do to do it using ImgBurn. Thanks for your time.

Do you already have a bootable Windows XP Service Pack 2 CD and want to make a copy of it?

Or do you want to make a bootable Windows XP Service Pack 2 from another Windows XP CD (bootable or not)?

Do you already have a bootable Windows XP Service Pack 2 CD and want to make a copy of it?

Or do you want to make a bootable Windows XP Service Pack 2 from another Windows XP CD (bootable or not)?

I want to make a bootable Windows XP Service Pack 2 CD from a non bootable Windows XP Service Pack 2 CD so if my system crashes i won't have to buy another XP disk.

I want to make a bootable Windows XP Service Pack 2 CD from a non bootable Windows XP Service Pack 2 CD so if my system crashes i won't have to buy another XP disk.

OK, follow these steps:

• make a folder (e.g. C:\WINXP) and, using Windows Explorer, copy all the contents of your CD to that folder
  • download and extract wxpboot.bin from this file: wxpboot.zip
  • open ImgBurn, switch to Build mode and, in the 'Output' menu, choose 'Device' if you want to burn to media or 'Image File' if you want to save to an ISO image on your HD
  • click the 'Browse for a folder' icon and add your C:\WINXP folder (you can also drag/drop it)
  • in the 'Options' tab, change File System to ISO9660 + Joliet and enable Recurse Subdirectories (it's enabled by default)
  • go to the 'Bootable Disc' tab, enable 'Make Image Bootable', select 'Emulation Type: None (Custom)', click the folder icon and select the wxpboot.bin file you've extracted earlier, and change the Sectors To Load field from 1 to 4 (this is very important!)
  • go back to the 'Information' tab, click the 'Calculate' button and, when ImgBurn asks if you're trying to build an Operating System installation disc, answer Yes and then Yes again at the next prompt (alternatively you can also answer No to the first prompt and Yes to the second prompt). More info about ISO9660 and Joliet ;)
  • click the big Write/Build button, re-confirm the Yes/Yes (or No/Yes) you did above, enter any label you want and click OK.

OK, follow these steps:

• make a folder (e.g. C:\WINXP) and, using Windows Explorer, copy all the contents of your CD to that folder
  • download and extract wxpboot.bin from this file: wxpboot.zip
  • open ImgBurn, switch to Build mode and, in the 'Output' menu, choose 'Device' if you want to burn to media or 'Image File' if you want to save to an ISO image on your HD
  • click the 'Browse for a folder' icon and add your C:\WINXP folder (you can also drag/drop it)
  • in the 'Options' tab, change File System to ISO9660 + Joliet and enable Recurse Subdirectories, Include Hidden Files and Include System Files
  • under 'Advanced' tab, 'Restrictions' tab, 'ISO9660' tab, and check the following:
    • Level 1, Standard Character Set
    • Allow Files Without Extensions enabled
    • Don't Add ';1' Version Number To Files enabled

[*]go to the 'Bootable Disc' tab, enable 'Make Image Bootable', select 'Emulation Type: None (Custom)', click the folder icon and select the wxpboot.bin file you've extracted earlier, and change the Sectors To Load field from 1 to 4 (this is very important!)

[*]go back to the 'Information' tab, click the 'Calculate' button and, when ImgBurn asks if the folder is the root of your image, answer Yes

[*]click the big Write/Build button, re-confirm that the folder is the root of your image, enter any label you want and confirm.

Your guide is great and everything goes just as you said until I go to the calculate button and after it ask me if the folder is at the root of the image and I say Yes, its says "E 15:25:56 Directory depth exceeds ISO9660 limit of 8 levels!" because it says that it is 9 levels deep. Anything I can do about this?

Is the disc just service pack 2 update to XP If so you would need to slipstream that into your i386 folder of your original XP disc if the XP disc is just basic XP or XP sp1 etc

http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm

http://www.5starsupport.com/tutorial/xp-recovery-cd.htm

Thanks for the help on other ways to slipstream service packs, but I have already slipstreamed SP2 into the i386 folder.

Your guide is great and everything goes just as you said until I go to the calculate button and after it ask me if the folder is at the root of the image and I say Yes, its says "E 15:25:56 Directory depth exceeds ISO9660 limit of 8 levels!" because it says that it is 9 levels deep. Anything I can do about this?

In Advanced/Restrictions/ISO9660 tab, enable Allow More Than 8 Directory Levels :)

After making two cds and trying them out they are both non-bootable cds, even after changing the BIOS settings so that the cd drive is the first boot device but other then that it works like a windows disk should. Anyone know where I might have gone wrong? Also could I take an image of a non bootable windows disk and make it bootable?

Edited by mcfruit

After making two cds and trying them out they are both non-bootable cds, even after changing the BIOS settings so that the cd drive is the first boot device but other then that it works like a windows disk should. Anyone know where I might have gone wrong? Also could I take an image of a non bootable windows disk and make it bootable?

Does it show any error message(s)? Does it show at least "Boot from CD-ROM: No Emulation" when trying to boot with those CDs?

Get IsoBuster, point it to the drive with the bootable CD and check if it says 'Bootable Disc' on the left, like this:

post-6576-1178329212_thumb.png

Does it show any error message(s)? Does it show at least "Boot from CD-ROM: No Emulation" when trying to boot with those CDs?

Get IsoBuster, point it to the drive with the bootable CD and check if it says 'Bootable Disc' on the left, like this:

post-6576-1178329212_thumb.png

Well I used isobuster and it said that they cds were bootable so I tried using a different machine and was able to boot to the cd. Could any differences between the machines such as age have caused the problem?

Well I used isobuster and it said that they cds were bootable so I tried using a different machine and was able to boot to the cd. Could any differences between the machines such as age have caused the problem?

Check again in the BIOS if CD-ROM is set to boot before the HD, as it seems it's not even trying to boot from the CD. Apart from that, I don't recall any other requirements.

• 3 months later...

Hello,

I followed the directions above to make a CD that I am trying to boot on a virtual machine (Virtual Box 1.4). However, I get this error:

CDBOOT: Couldn't find NTLDR.

IsoBuster reports that the CD is bootable.

Can anyone help me? Thanks!

Frank

That happens when you forget to enable the Allow Files Without Extension option under Advanced -> Restrictions -> ISO9660 tab(s).

Thanks. I just tried that and checked the CD. The NTLDR file is on the image in the root directory, but VBox still doesn't find it.

Thanks. I just tried that and checked the CD. The NTLDR file is on the image in the root directory, but VBox still doesn't find it.

Then your file/folder structure is wrong, because NTLDR should be inside the i386 folder.

The i386 folder of the CD? There isn't one. But it was in the i386 folder of the machine the CD was burned from.

Maybe I did something wrong at the beginning. I copied the i386 into a folder named C:\XPSETUP. all the items inside i386 went into XPSETUP. Are you saying they should have gone into XPSETUP\i386?

Maybe I did something wrong at the beginning. I copied the i386 into a folder named C:\XPSETUP. all the items inside i386 went into XPSETUP. Are you saying they should have gone into XPSETUP\i386?

Yes. When you copy the contents from the source CD you need to keep the file/folder structure. That's why I said to use Windows Explorer, as it'll copy everything from the CD as-is.

Thank you. That's one problem solved! The VBox is asking for the SP2 CD now. That sounds like an issue for the vm software.

While you have all the files in XPSETUP folder, why don't you slipstream SP2 in there? That way your CD will have SP2 integrated :)

I follow the instructions on the elder geek, but when I try to run the update step, I get this message:

---------------------------

Service Pack 2 Setup

This Service Pack cannot be integrated into a destination that also has integrated Software Updates.

Consult the Service Pack documentation for more details about supported integration scenarios.

OK

Which seems to indicate I already have SP2 in the i386. I thought I did, but began to wonder with this message. You can understand why I am frustrated right now. It has nothing to do with the ImgBurn software. Great tool, but I am confused.

Edited by Frank Luke

• 1 year later...
OK, follow these steps:
  • under 'Advanced' tab, 'Restrictions' tab, 'ISO9660' tab, and check the following:
    • Level 1, Standard Character Set

If you do that, ImgBurn asks you to change "Level 1" to "Level X" and "Standard" to "DOS". I did both and it seems like the bios can still read the bootable disc, so I think ImgBurn is right. Please consider updating your post (update: thanks!).

Edited by lwc

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.