GREAT NEWS!

kirk1701™

Whoa $1500 ? Is that generic or named meds mate ? I know in the US you get more choice on what you want to pay for, when I was last in Florida I had to have a tooth out and was pre-scribed anti-biotics and pain killers. The pharmacist at the store asked if I wanted the named drugs or the generic, not having encountered this before I asked him the difference and it's mainly the price it was 5x more expensive to have named so I got the generic stuff that was loads cheaper ! :)

Apart from the side effects of three eyes and 6 toes on each foot I have never regretted it !! =))

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 eyes on each foot??

post pics fella, got to see this

$325 a month for insurance, gee, boss claims my off brand insurance $700, and it's got 50% deductable om almost everthing. Generic drugs? my cardioligist wants me on lipitor nothing available gneric. Insurance (express scricpts_giving me hard time about it, and druggist wants $360 for 30 days. Not taking it anymore!

Cath;

Zocor went generic last June, maybe the doc can switch your Rx to that and you can save a bundle. :thumbup:

Thats what my mom is on spinner, doc just raised it to 40 mg and she goes out like a lite when she takes it =))

But at least we get some peace :thumbup:

OH BOY! Good thing she's not a member here, her blood pressure would be felt in every forum here :ermm:

Yea LFC, generics are available for some of what I'm on but I always have the doc check the DNS (Do Not Substitute) because I don't trust the generic stuff.

They are talking about doing more of the Generic stuff here to save some money, I would happily take it if required as to me it's the same drugs as they have to pass the same medical certification. But that's my choice :)

Shhhhhh, I'm sure they are listening

I told you guys to be quiet :whistling:

Now look what you've done =))

http://www.bcbs.com/news/bcbsa/vasgus-nerv...lation-for.html

Just got this from someone on the VNS message board and well, seeing that Kentucky Access (which is my insurer) is nothing more then BCBS I guess I'm shit out of luck as usual :mellow:

Tough break there kirk...life sure can kick you in the guts sometimes...

I haven't lost all hope yet Altercuno, rereading the article I see

does not meet TEC's five criteria for improving the health outcomes of patients with treatment-resistant depression.
which it is also used for. So, it maybe covered for people with seizures but not for depression :unsure:

I know its a long shot but going to find out for sure.

Well it does seem to only exclude the medication for treatment of depression doesn't it kirk ? It's got to be worth a go.... :luck:

http://www.vnstherapy.com/epilepsy/forvnst...sincourage.aspx

I'll save ya all the 15 minutes of chatter.

FDA approval is not the only hurdle we have to overcome to make a new therapy truly available to the afflicted patient population. Insurance companies, Medicare, and Medicaid must deem the therapy not only safe and effective, but also cost effective. Many of the major payors in the United States, such as Blue Cross and Blue Shield, CHAMPUS, Kaiser, HCFA (Medicare), and several state Medicaid programs have issued favorable coverage decisions. These decisions, just like FDA approval, occurred in a timely manner.

So, guess there is still hope. I got a call into my insurance agent now, waiting for callback :thumbup:

My parents moved from San Diego to here in Vegas in large part to help me and my wife out, especially with out first grade daughter.

And they have been life savers. Absolutely. The SS Disability money also fills a small but very vital gap. Due to my condition, I lost more jobs than most people will ever have. I had 24 jobs between graduating high school (1988) and finally realizing that I couldn't even work part-time anymore (2002).

My back payments, 3 yrs worth, were enough money for a down payment on our townhouse. So that alone was a huge help. All those years of pain actually turned into a concrete benefit: the roof over our heads. Funny how things work.

The upside is that I've been at home with my daughter her entire life, excepting only a few weeks. So we've never had to worry about all the Day Care nightmares that so many people have. And I'm grateful for that, even if purchased at the price of 18 yrs of constant pain.

I smoked weed and took ibuprofen for years to control the pain, especially before I was even sure what I had. It actually worked pretty well until my condition got a lot worse circa 1999-2000. Once I had a diagnosis (after a cystoscopy--if you don't know what that is, you don't want to, trust me), I was sent to a pain doc and my daily narcotics in take would, in all likelihood, kill the average person. But I've built up tolerance over time.

But the pills have become a MAJOR pain in the ass. I do have some minor memory issues; mostly it's not forgetting things as forgetting the sequence in which they happened. fortunately, as I said, it's not too big an issue.

But the narcotics leave me exhausted, often so much that I can't even do elementary household chores. They also interfere with sleep and cause me problems with nausea. I never messed with narcotics recreationally during my years in the Psychic Wars--and now I realize just how smart that was.

Anyone who volunteers for dependence on narcotics gets what they deserve. I'm not an addict (having been addicted to other things in the past I know addiction when it's happening to me), but I realize that my body is dependent on them.

They've also messed with my metabolism, slowing it down so that I've gained about 30lbs in the last two years. Not cool. Never had a problem with weight in my life. Now I've got a nice paunch (I'm thinking about naming it, but it doesn't like any of my choices).

I also realize that the narcotics, the insomnia and the nausea often make me irritable and a lot more so than I normally am. Obviously, this has some unpleasant repercussions in my personal life. Repercussions I'd just as soon go away.

I'm also a writer but I'm so tired most of the time I find it hard to bring my concentration to bear to begin writing the novel I've been planning for years now. (Actually two books.)

I've got to find the energy to start exercising. Once I can get it going I know it'll be a big help, especially with the pain (past experience has shown this to be true). It'll also help me cut down on the amount of narcotics I take. I've already significantly reduced my intake (I've cut down the equivalent of 9 Percocets from my daily doseage).

I hope everything goes well for you.

As for my condition, Interstitial Cystitis, there's really no consensus amongst researchers as to what causes it, let alone what might cure it or ameliorate it. But the Federal government is finally pumping some serious money into research. I can only hope some helpful results will come out of the new research. The irony here is that the Senator leading the charge on IC is none other than Dingy Harry, Senate Majority leader and, by God's disgrace, senior Senator from my (adopted) home state. (This'll be a surprise, but the irony comes from the fact that I'm a Reagan Conservative.)

This is a lot longer than I intended. So I'll cut it off here. As I said, good luck to you!

You can always drop me a PM (no pun intended), anytime you feel like it.

Sorry about the delay in replying Pain_Man, I know the feeling when it comes to all the dam meds. However I'm never in any pain (Knock on wood) but now I see where your screen name comes from. :thumbup:

Most of my problems with the meds come from the side effects which include drowsiness and for that reason I and the doctor have had to discontinue the use of many of the seizure meds. Other side effects I live with are the memory loss, but its weird I don't forget some things like "important stuff" and other things that are not so important I will. Example, the thread where I was looking for a particular movie. In a way, my memory is like RAM and needs to be refreshed to store the data :'( so, thats probably why I don't forget important stuff like dates, bills, and appointments ect.

SS Disability, WHAT A LIFE SAVER!! I'm just glad I worked half my life and put some in because I get a dam good check where as had I went on disability when I was 18 like some people I know the check is only half what I get, $500 a month and mine is over $1200 a month :innocent: again, KNOCK ON WOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Driving, man I don't know where I would be right now without my parents, god has blessed me with a loving mother and father that has allowed me to live at home, drive me anywhere I need to go and pick me up which means two trips for them rather then one. I know the day is coming where I will have to rely on the CART program which is a program in our area for people with disabilities and don't drive.

A little bit on what I have found out about VNS so far. I signed up over at Epilepsy Foundations web site and joined there forum which from there found a link for VNS own forum which I never expected to exist. Anyhow, so far people who have had it done are reporting the battery only lasts two years or less where it should last 8, don't know what the procedure is for replacement but I assume reopening the chest to get to the device. Also malfunctions, it should turn on for 30 seconds every 5 minutes and one guy is reporting its is coming on more often and for longer which could damagie the VNS nerve. And last but not least, it also does not fully stop the seizures in some people but just reduce the number they had without it; or the magnet that you wear on your wrist to wave over your chest and turn it on when you have a feeling of a seizure coming on will stop the seizure from occuring don't work all the time or does not always work as it should and turn on the device.

More later as I have now wrote a novel and pretty busy today so will check back in a could a days.

Thanks for the offer on the PM Pain Man, I know it always helps to talk about it. :thumbup: and same goes for you, need a ear to bend mine is open for you.

Think I have an idea what a cystoscopy is and since I am...

1. Approaching the age of 40

2. Have an uncle who died at an early age from colon cancer

3. The same uncle who I also favor :whistling:

I took after my moms side and my sister took after my dads side of the family.

nuf said, but matter being it would only be prudent I have it done as well just to be sure.

OK, as for the insurance I had to call Kentucky Access directly because the guy at BCBS didn't seem intrested in returning my call, guess he knew there was no money in it for him. :whistling:

Anyhow, KA asked if the procedure was FDA approved and if it was inpatient or out patient. Since it is a 1 night stay in the hospital they said the neurologist would have to submit the info to them for approval with all the info and why he thinks it is medically necessary I have the procedure done. So, now the ball is back in play and I have to call the doctor Monday and get the paperwork in motion which will probably be a six month or longer process. :w00t:

My parents moved from San Diego to here in Vegas in large part to help me and my wife out, especially with out first grade daughter.

And they have been life savers. Absolutely. The SS Disability money also fills a small but very vital gap. Due to my condition, I lost more jobs than most people will ever have. I had 24 jobs between graduating high school (1988) and finally realizing that I couldn't even work part-time anymore (2002).

My back payments, 3 yrs worth, were enough money for a down payment on our townhouse. So that alone was a huge help. All those years of pain actually turned into a concrete benefit: the roof over our heads. Funny how things work.

The upside is that I've been at home with my daughter her entire life, excepting only a few weeks. So we've never had to worry about all the Day Care nightmares that so many people have. And I'm grateful for that, even if purchased at the price of 18 yrs of constant pain.

I smoked weed and took ibuprofen for years to control the pain, especially before I was even sure what I had. It actually worked pretty well until my condition got a lot worse circa 1999-2000. Once I had a diagnosis (after a cystoscopy--if you don't know what that is, you don't want to, trust me), I was sent to a pain doc and my daily narcotics in take would, in all likelihood, kill the average person. But I've built up tolerance over time.

But the pills have become a MAJOR pain in the ass. I do have some minor memory issues; mostly it's not forgetting things as forgetting the sequence in which they happened. fortunately, as I said, it's not too big an issue.

But the narcotics leave me exhausted, often so much that I can't even do elementary household chores. They also interfere with sleep and cause me problems with nausea. I never messed with narcotics recreationally during my years in the Psychic Wars--and now I realize just how smart that was.

Anyone who volunteers for dependence on narcotics gets what they deserve. I'm not an addict (having been addicted to other things in the past I know addiction when it's happening to me), but I realize that my body is dependent on them.

They've also messed with my metabolism, slowing it down so that I've gained about 30lbs in the last two years. Not cool. Never had a problem with weight in my life. Now I've got a nice paunch (I'm thinking about naming it, but it doesn't like any of my choices).

I also realize that the narcotics, the insomnia and the nausea often make me irritable and a lot more so than I normally am. Obviously, this has some unpleasant repercussions in my personal life. Repercussions I'd just as soon go away.

I'm also a writer but I'm so tired most of the time I find it hard to bring my concentration to bear to begin writing the novel I've been planning for years now. (Actually two books.)

I've got to find the energy to start exercising. Once I can get it going I know it'll be a big help, especially with the pain (past experience has shown this to be true). It'll also help me cut down on the amount of narcotics I take. I've already significantly reduced my intake (I've cut down the equivalent of 9 Percocets from my daily doseage).

I hope everything goes well for you.

As for my condition, Interstitial Cystitis, there's really no consensus amongst researchers as to what causes it, let alone what might cure it or ameliorate it. But the Federal government is finally pumping some serious money into research. I can only hope some helpful results will come out of the new research. The irony here is that the Senator leading the charge on IC is none other than Dingy Harry, Senate Majority leader and, by God's disgrace, senior Senator from my (adopted) home state. (This'll be a surprise, but the irony comes from the fact that I'm a Reagan Conservative.)

This is a lot longer than I intended. So I'll cut it off here. As I said, good luck to you!

You can always drop me a PM (no pun intended), anytime you feel like it.

Sorry about the delay in replying Pain_Man, I know the feeling when it comes to all the dam meds. However I'm never in any pain (Knock on wood) but now I see where your screen name comes from. :thumbup:

Most of my problems with the meds come from the side effects which include drowsiness and for that reason I and the doctor have had to discontinue the use of many of the seizure meds. Other side effects I live with are the memory loss, but its weird I don't forget some things like "important stuff" and other things that are not so important I will. Example, the thread where I was looking for a particular movie. In a way, my memory is like RAM and needs to be refreshed to store the data :'( so, thats probably why I don't forget important stuff like dates, bills, and appointments ect.

SS Disability, WHAT A LIFE SAVER!! I'm just glad I worked half my life and put some in because I get a dam good check where as had I went on disability when I was 18 like some people I know the check is only half what I get, $500 a month and mine is over $1200 a month :innocent: again, KNOCK ON WOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Driving, man I don't know where I would be right now without my parents, god has blessed me with a loving mother and father that has allowed me to live at home, drive me anywhere I need to go and pick me up which means two trips for them rather then one. I know the day is coming where I will have to rely on the CART program which is a program in our area for people with disabilities and don't drive.

A little bit on what I have found out about VNS so far. I signed up over at Epilepsy Foundations web site and joined there forum which from there found a link for VNS own forum which I never expected to exist. Anyhow, so far people who have had it done are reporting the battery only lasts two years or less where it should last 8, don't know what the procedure is for replacement but I assume reopening the chest to get to the device. Also malfunctions, it should turn on for 30 seconds every 5 minutes and one guy is reporting its is coming on more often and for longer which could damagie the VNS nerve. And last but not least, it also does not fully stop the seizures in some people but just reduce the number they had without it; or the magnet that you wear on your wrist to wave over your chest and turn it on when you have a feeling of a seizure coming on will stop the seizure from occuring don't work all the time or does not always work as it should and turn on the device.

More later as I have now wrote a novel and pretty busy today so will check back in a could a days.

Thanks for the offer on the PM Pain Man, I know it always helps to talk about it. :thumbup: and same goes for you, need a ear to bend mine is open for you.

I forget who said it, but good health really is the best thing in the world. Certainly better than money or fame or power. If you manage to achieve any or all of those things, it's not going to be much fun if you're not healthy. (Obviously, I understand that having money gets you access to treatment, but if there's no cure for your condition, as there isn't for yours and mine, we could each be worth $10 billion and it wouldn't matter. We can't buy a fix for what ails us.

Anyhow, KA asked if the procedure was FDA approved and if it was inpatient or out patient. Since it is a 1 night stay in the hospital they said the neurologist would have to submit the info to them for approval with all the info and why he thinks it is medically necessary I have the procedure done. So, now the ball is back in play and I have to call the doctor Monday and get the paperwork in motion which will probably be a six month or longer process. :w00t:

I hope you can get this done, I really do. And I hope it works for you.

A lot of [getting these things approved] is just being a royal pain in the ass. Call all the time. Email, write letters; just generally make a nuisance out of yourself--if nothing else works. After awhile, they'll approve the procedure just so you'll go away.

Too many people give up too quickly. Screw that! Keeping swinging at the ball, eventually you'll get the pitch you can hit.

• 10 months later...

OH MY GOD!!

Just searched for this thread and I can't believe its been almost a year since all this started :mellow:

We'll everyone the surgery is Mission Go and what a birthday present, my birthday is April 26 and the surgery to get the VNS implant is the day before :thumbup:

I seen the surgeon last Friday to discuss the procedure on the advice of my neorologist and I got this e-mail today from my contact at cyberonic's which makes the device.

Hi Mr. Henson,

Irene's out of the office this week and I'm covering for her..

I have rec'd a call from Dr Taleghani's office and it's my understanding that your surgery is schedule for 4/25. I have called your insurance company and have given them the surgery date. Insurance companies always give their "disclaimer" but we have verified that your insurance is still in effect for this month and if there is any problems with the claim, will assist the surgeon's office to get it resolved. The insurance company has already said that it's medically necessary for your VNS placement so they can't deny for this reason.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks! Take care,

Pam

Needless to say, I can't wait :)

Congrats! I hope this works out for you. I know how much my life would change if my pain were to disappear tomorrow. But it's not going to and I've excepted that. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

But I certainly pray and hope this solution works out for you. It's nice to see good things happen to good people since it's so often not the case.

I know how it is to live with a condition for one's entire adult life. I've had my bladder condition (called Interstitial Cystitis) since I was 18-19 years old. As I'm now 37, it's been a royal pain in my ass my entire majority.

I too often can't drive because of my pain meds. Like you I don't know what I'd do if I accidentally killed someone. Especially if that someone were my 8 yr old daughter. If I have to drive, I have to take the bare minimum of pain meds, just enough to keep with out of withdrawl and the pain down to only a screaming minimum.

I also have to be careful because of our state's draconian drunk driving laws. I'll spare you the details, but suffice it to say that even on a good day I have to extra careful when driving.

It's interfered with just about everything you can imagine, from education to career even sex. Before disability was approved, I had 24 jobs in 12 years (not including part-time and temp gigs). Basically, two jobs a year.

I don't blame most of the companies ('cept for a couple of asshole companies, but that's another story). They needed someone who could be there everyday. I couldn't.

I've been offered the implantation of a similar kind of device to treat my non-stop pain. Basically it invovles a neuro-surgeon threading electronic leaders into my spinal nerves to disrupt the pain signals being sent to my brain.

Aside from the idea of someone playing about with my spinal nerves, the entire procedure would cost at least $50,000. And it's a BIG maybe as to whether it would work or not. I'm just not comfortable with taking a risk like that on a maybe.

I'll keep you all posted on the updates afterwards. To say the least I am just thrilled, scared, a bit worried and oh so excited all balled up into one. :thumbup:

Told my sister next year at this time I might pull up in front of her house with my 2009 corvette that I picked right off the assembly line here in Bowling Green :thumbup:

She said make sure I got black because they are chick magnets =))

Are you all friendly again with your sis then Kirk ? Sorry I think I may have missed out on a bit of your story.....

Yea, were back all cuddly again =))

Partly due to dad having Alzheimer's which were still not sure if it is ALZ or not, just that he's acting like a 3 year old.

• 2 weeks later...
Ah that's good mate, your sister I mean and not your Dad :blush:

:thumbup:

We'll tomorrows the big day and guess I should be like nervous or something but surprisingly I'm not :whistling:

I'll post back Saturday when I get home, maybe even tomorrow night if they don't keep me overnight.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.