QuickTime Alternative plugins for Firefox?

dbminter

I am trying QuickTime Alternative as an alternative to the monolithic QuickTime. However, my experience has been that QuickTime Alternative cannot be an alternative to QuickTime.

After uninstalling QuickTime and installing QuickTime Alternative, no QuickTime plug ins work in Firefox. Do QuickTime files work with plugins for Firefox or do they not and that's what I'm not aware of.

Thanks!

Would you mind sharing the address of the page with QuickTime content? Have you tried opening that same page with (yuck!) Internet Explorer?

From my experience, Quicktime Alternative works on most pages with Quicktime content, but not with all of them.

If you want a sure fire way to test your Quicktime Alternative installation, go to the Apple Movie Trailers website and try a few of them.

After some more testing, it seems to be a case of where it doesn't always work with some content. On the same site, other QT files will eventually load which causes the player to "kick start" and play the file in question. Let me try some of those Apple trailers as a common point of reference test.

I just get an empty holder, whatever those things are called, for the plug in when I try to access the High version of the Surf's Up Trailer. Clicking on it says unable to find the player. Checking MediaPlayerConnectivity that opens appears to be missing a reference for QuickTime. I expect one anyway. In Media players, there's one for Real and one for Windows Media Player. But, I was expecting one for QuickTime via Media Player Classic. Is that what is missing? More importantly, how do I fix it. :)

BTW, forgot: http://gd-tangent.tsunami-art.com/view.aspx?Rec=210

From a quick test on your link, Quicktime Alternative downloads the whole MOV file (~12 MBs) before playing it all at once. If you want it to play as it downloads, right click on the Quicktime content, choose Plugin Settings and enable Play Movies Automatically.

As for the MediaPlayerConnectivity extension, I think it could be messing up your configuration. If you can, please disable it (Tools/Add-ons/Extensions) and try again. By the way, I've tested both "Surf's Up" high quality trailers on 2 different computers with latest Firefox and Quicktime Alternative 1.81 and on both it worked fine.

If it helps, here's something else I'm encountering on the 28 Weeks Later trailers. At http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_atomic/28weekslater/

Where it has Watch The Trailer Large, Medium, Small, IPod, and HD Trailer are all buttons but next to HD Trailer are three containers (That was the word I was looking for.) that then open MediaConnectivity.

From a quick test on your link, Quicktime Alternative downloads the whole MOV file (~12 MBs) before playing it all at once. If you want it to play as it downloads, right click on the Quicktime content, choose Plugin Settings and enable Play Movies Automatically.

This only helped in that now the first frame of the MOV appears with the player controls after it downloads, but, then disappears and is replaced by a container.

As for the MediaPlayerConnectivity extension, I think it could be messing up your configuration. If you can, please disable it (Tools/Add-ons/Extensions) and try again. By the way, I've tested both "Surf's Up" high quality trailers on 2 different computers with latest Firefox and Quicktime Alternative 1.81 and on both it worked fine.

Well, I tried first disabling and then uninstalling, but, the MediaConnectivity container, i.e. double click on it and MediaConnectivity opens, still appears. This is on that first link I sent.

Where it has Watch The Trailer Large, Medium, Small, IPod, and HD Trailer are all buttons but next to HD Trailer are three containers (That was the word I was looking for.) that then open MediaConnectivity.

They should be 'buttons' for downloading the 480p, 720p and 1080p trailers. When you click one of them you should get a dialog (by Quicktime Alternative) that asks you what to do:

ffqtalt181fm4.th.png

Please try this:

• close Firefox/Internet Explorer/Opera/all browsers you might have
  • uninstall Quicktime Alternative
  • open Firefox, go to Tools, Add-ons, Extensions and uninstall MediaPlayerConnectivity extension
  • restart computer
  • install latest Quicktime Alternative
  • open Firefox and try the Apple Movie Trailers website again

This way it should work.

God, I feel so stupid. When I said I uninstalled MediaPlayerConnectivity plug in... I didn't. I uninstalled some other one that was first in my list. I take medication that sometimes makes me do dumb things. Anyway, uninstalling that plug in was all it took.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.