My Latest Project

kirk1701™

Haven't been posting that much lately because I've been busy with this project.

I had to get rid of my waterbed a couple a years back due to a back injury and just now getting a chance to getting around to remaking the bed for a boxspring matress to match the rest of my bedroom set.

You guys didn't know I was this talented did yu's?

Here, we have the blanket drawer that pulls out at the foot

Blanket_Drawer.jpg

At each side are two drawers to the pedestal that pulls out to the side:

Side_Pedestal.jpg

Side view put together:

Pedestal_Side.jpg

End view put together:

Pedestal_End.jpg

After I got the drawers made:

Pedestal_End_With_Drawers.jpg

Pedestal_Side_With_Drawers.jpg

This is when I got the side rails made:

Side_With_Bed_Rails.jpg

End_With_Bed_Rails.jpg

What will soon be the headboard :thumbup:

Headboard1.jpg

Headboard2.jpg

Headboard3.jpg

Headboard4.jpg

And a look at the finished product :thumbup:

Just needs two more coats of varnish and sanded down with 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper between coats :thumbup:

Bed1.jpg

Bed2.jpg

WARNING!!!! Do not attempt this kind of work at home without plenty of patients :thumbup:

Did I make any mistakes? YES, I made 2 minor flaws :whistling:

The cost of this little venture, $500 and its all solid oak, no dam cheap particle board crap that will just fall apart ;)

An if you used dovetail joints instead you would have eliminated the need for all those screws and it would have held together a lot better and been a lot more sturdier

The dovetail joint is only used for making the drawer boxes and I never could get the hang of making the dovetail joint perfect Jill and gave up on it.

Screws were used to hold the glue in place on the pedestal but only on the inside, none showing :thumbup:

Looks good. :thumbup:

Surprised when you said it was oak, thought it was beach or pine. Must be a different oak in your part of the world. I made a stud wall once with some oak timber I was given. What a job that was...couldn't cut it, couldn't knock a nail in it so you must have worked hard...nice design too...

Dovetails are tricky, think you can buy a jig for doing them, but as you say they are usually hidden...

Looks good. :thumbup:

Surprised when you said it was oak, thought it was beach or pine. Must be a different oak in your part of the world. I made a stud wall once with some oak timber I was given. What a job that was...couldn't cut it, couldn't knock a nail in it so you must have worked hard...nice design too...

Dovetails are tricky, think you can buy a jig for doing them, but as you say they are usually hidden...

Thats what I had Altercuno, the jig worked in combination with the router (the one that spins not the one that routes data ) :shifty:

Anyhow, once I made the joint it would fit together and all but the top and bottom of the drawer would not line up right, which then made the dado grove for the drawer bottom not line up and the drawer bottom could not fit together. Here again, that was 20 years ago since I attempted making it and pissed me off to the point of selling the jig at a garage sale (before e-bays time).

Dam, this "20 years ago" seems to be poping up in my life quit a bit lately :blink:

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Edited by kirk1701

I love the way you was able to knock it all up with bit of shitty wood you had hanging around that farty little backyard shed you have. LOL. :whistling:

Haven't finished the bed yet and already got another project :shifty:

Thought about doing this before but decided against it due to overheating issues.

Now, maybe I'm second guessing myself....

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=89638

It's quite impressive, kirk.

Never could get the hang of working with my hands. Before cars became chipset chariots, I used to be able to the basic stuff: change oil, drop tranny pans, change out drive shafts, etc.

Beyond that, I'm useless with this kind of stuff.

My eldest brother-in-law's got the touch though. Now that he's living here in town, he'll be able to do a lot of stuff we've wanted to get done.

I notice that we have the same garage door. Paper-thin aluminum, could probably punch fingers through it. But as my Dad always says, "Locks keep out honest people."

I have to keep the wheels lubed with that silicon crap or it gets cranky.

Haven't finished the bed yet and already got another project :shifty:

Thought about doing this before but decided against it due to overheating issues.

Now, maybe I'm second guessing myself....

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=89638

Edited by Pain_Man

• 2 weeks later...

Next part of the project is almost done, now I'm undecided on what to do with the mirror :wacko:

Here's some pic's.

My toothpics

Frame1.jpg

Frame2.jpg

Toothpics glued up...

Frame3.jpg

After sanding

Frame4.jpg

Put together which is where I am now. and a bit undecided at the moment which is where I need *COUGH* yes I'll say it.

"A Womens Input" =))

Leave the Mirror Frame square at the top as shown

Frame5.jpg

Or, should I glue a board at the top and round the ends to match the headboard :ermm:

Frame6.jpg

Women just have the nack for this =))

Hi Kirk :thumbup:

If you put the board on round the corners off to match the headboard. Your work looks very art deco to me so have you thought about matching art deco bedside tables, something like this perhaps...

LeleuModCtrTbl.jpg

very impressive work btw... :thumbup:

Hi Kirk :thumbup:

If you put the board on round the corners off to match the headboard. Your work looks very art deco to me so have you thought about matching art deco bedside tables, something like this perhaps...

LeleuModCtrTbl.jpg

very impressive work btw... :thumbup:

Thanks Altercuno,

I think your pic is more for an end table to a living room or den no?

Might not go well in a bedroom, besides; no room left to put it in the bedroom. :thumbup:

Actually on that subject, I remember when I moved to Pennsylvania a couple a years ago and was in an appartment for a while. Believe it or not, I actually have enough furniture in my bedroom to fill the den and bedroom in the appartment so I didn't have to buy anything =))

In my room now

Corner desk for the PC

Regular writing desk with drawers on each end

Printer stand with cabinet

Night stand

Dresser

I just got the third coat of varnish on the bed so going to paint the room before I bring the bed in and give the varnish a good week to dry so it don't stink up the house. Will post more pic's of the rest of the room and the bed when I get it up.

when I get it up.

:whistling:

No problem in that dept :thumbup:

After much debate and plenty of input over whether to leave it square or round, one person (my Mom) gave me an idea ;)

I was going to use the whole board which is about 8 inches wide if I made it round, now, think I'm going to improvise :lol:

Think I'm going to make it round, just not with all 8 inches of it. ;)

3/4 inch wide strip of oak, then 1/4 inch wide strip of purple heart followed by another strip of 3/4 inch of oak so in total the width will be about 1-3/4 inches ontop rather then 8, then just round the ends on that.

I'll get some pic's up when its complete but probably be a while. Looks like its fixing to get humid here and, we'll, just to be safe I don't spray the varnish when its humid due to the moisture getting trapped under the finish and turn to a pail white which would suck. :yes:

3/4 inch wide strip of oak, then 1/4 inch wide strip of purple heart followed by another strip of 3/4 inch of oak so in total the width will be about 1-3/4 inches ontop rather then 8, then just round the ends on that.

That sounds better - more in keeping with the size and elegance of the frame. I thought a dark wood inlay might work, but you hadn't done it on the bed head so didn't suggest it.

Think you're right about the table - just looking for a design idea.

Beautiful work Kirk, red oak?

Long ago and far away I ran into a retired UTK PE professor, under a shed carport behind his lakehouse was a stack of wood, maybe 8 ft x 8 ft x 6 ft high. Black walnut, he picked the logs standing, had them cut in winter, then aged and then rough sawn. The stack was perfectly level and square with heavy weights on top. He had misted it every evening for two weeks.

It was air dryed for a year, I walked around it and only saw a couple of hairline checks in the board ends. There was only one sawmill in ET that he would use and a kiln in N Georgia for the final dry. He made one piece of furniture a year for close family only.

Used to be an old codger here that made grandfather clocks(woodwork), same kind of wood, you ordered and paid for your clock up front, he took a month to do the case and then used hand rubbed tongue oil, one coat a month, 12 coats.

Edited by chewy

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.