Re-build and Convert foreign images

Pestam

Actually these are two quite different but related features in one request.

Generally I'm in need of a image conversion program for cd/dvd images. It happens from time to time, that I get my hands on an image file in some obscure format. Normally I would simply load them up in ImgBurn and write them to a disk. But since a few month I'm using an open-source data recovery program for optical disks, dvdisaster. It can augment ISO images with ECC data which it uses later to recover bad sectors in case the disk got damaged. Unfortunately ISO is the only image format it can handle.

So for converting a bit more obscure image formats I now use ISOBuster, but I'm thinking: this could also be a nice feature for ImgBurn? Of course, only the user data and no sub-channel data which could be used to make working copies of copyrighted disks would be saved to the new image (apart from the fact that ISO doesn't support this anyway...).

Then the other idea for a new feature would be to add a somewhat similar function to the Build mode: Importing an existing image into a build session and then be able to add or strip files to or from it and when done build a completely new image out of it... with the possibility to reproduce the filesystem options and boot settings of the imported image(s), as good as possible.

While the first feature request would be a more or less 1:1 conversion the second would be like a re-build of an image. While the first one can be done with other software, too. The second one if quite unique and would make ImgBurn even more outstanding. :thumbup: Of course the second is also harder to implement. :teehee:

Edited by Pestam

• 2 weeks later...

I also find these features to be highly desired. Actually I can't think of any free program that supports these things (AVS Disc Creator has support for re-building of iso images but only for most basic ones).

ImgBurn is the best but features like this would make it the one and only burning program. :thumbsup:

But that's it - ImgBurn's a burning program, not a conversion one. And ISOBuster is a very good program.

Importing images into build mode and deleting files can be done by mounting the appropriate image with Daemon Tools.

The suggestions, seem, to me, to be a lotta work to satisfy little demand.

Regards

But that's it - ImgBurn's a burning program, not a conversion one. And ISOBuster is a very good program.

ISOBuster is a very limited program (EDIT: also $26). I've tried many programs for creating and converting ISOs and very few make images that load in DVD Shrink (the ultimate test for compliance). Most give errors like "invalid UDF structure."

Importing images into build mode and deleting files can be done bu mounting the appropriate image with Daemon Tools.

This introduces more possibility for errors. People have already reported problems when using Daemon Tools and ImgBurn together.

On what basis can you say it would be a lot of work to satisfy little demand? I think most of the work has been done and it would be as easy as plugging one piece of existing code (ISO write) into another piece of existing code (build mode). Please explain.

Thanks.

Edited by calweycn

Importing images into build mode and deleting files can be done bu mounting the appropriate image with Daemon Tools.

This introduces more possibility for errors. People have already reported problems when using Daemon Tools and ImgBurn together.

What part of "ImgBurn is a burning program and not a conversion program" is causing you difficulty? Rudimentary skills in reading and comprehension would serve you well if you took the time to learn them.

On what basis can you say it would be a lot of work to satisfy little demand? I think most of the work has been done and it would be as easy as plugging one piece of existing code (ISO write) into another piece of existing code (build mode). Please explain.

You've been told previously that you're welcome to go and write your own program instead of bitching about the shortcomings of this one. That offer still stands.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.