Freeze when launched in read mode with blank cd inserted

maxim

If ImgBurn is launched in the "read" mode with a blank cd or dvd inserted in the reader, then ImgBurn freezes.

I suppose it's trying to get some information about the media inserted and it takes time because there are no one on a blank media. Though after 2 minutes I stop waiting and try to kill the process but it doesn't work either...

I dont' know if I'm the only one in this case. Here are some information on the computer :

ImgBurn version : 2.3.2.0

Windows version : XP pro

My fix was to change the "Set program mode" setting in the "Events" tab to "write". With this setting the users don't have the problem anymore.

Ignoring the initial spin-up / initialisation period of the drive, all 6 of my drives instantly go to 'Disc Is Empty' in the status bar.

What drive do you have and what media is this issue with? I just tested with a blank CD as that was closest to hand!

I have never seen this with blank CD's or DVD's.... As well as confirming the media you are using please could you tell us the make and model of your Drive and also the set up ? E.g. Laptop, desktop etc

It was a blank, single layer DVD.

The writer is a Dell one, 48X DVD+/-RW, shipped with the computer. It is a recent purchase (1 month) so I suppose that the firmware is up to date but I'll take a look at Dell's website.

This is a desktop computer used for video work. The login user is a network account, member of the "Power users" Windows's group.

• 2 months later...

Before finding and reading this thread I had been unable to use ImgBurn in my home PC. I had never before used the program and the version installed was v2.3.2.0.

Everytime I tried to run the program, the splash screen was displayed, then disappeared and then... well, nothing happened (with or without a blank disc in the drive). The task stayed in memory (and on the taskbar too), but no IDE light activity at all, nor any error message or the like. The only solution was to kill the ImgBurn task with Task Manager.

After reading this post, I tried by running the program in Read Mode, with the /MODE ISOREAD command line switch and IT WORKED!

The app opened without any delay and since then every function I have tried so far has worked flawlessly (Read, Write, Verification, Discovery). Needless to say, I have forced the starting mode to "Read" in the options window and since then there have been no more freezes at all.

My system:

O/S:

Windows XP PRO SP2 (Spanish)

ImgBurn v2.3.2.0

H/W:

Primary Master: 40 Gb 7.200 rpm IDE HD

Primary Slave: 80 Gb 7.200 rpm IDE HD

Secondary Master: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4081B A106 (F:) (ATAPI)

Secondary Slave: Mitsumi 54X CD-ROM

Here's a sample of the drive's information panel with a blank DVD-R loaded.

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4081B A106 (ATAPI)
Current Profile: DVD-R

Disc Information:
Erasable: No
Free Sectors: 2.298.496
Free Space: 4.707.319.808 bytes
Free Time: 510:48:46 (MM:SS:FF)

Pre-recorded Information:
Manufacturer ID: GSC003

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
Book Type: DVD-R
Part Version: 5
Disc Size: 120mm
Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
Number of Layers: 1
Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit
Track Density: 0.74 um/track
First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196.608
Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2.495.103
Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

Hope this helps.

Best regards.

Edited by Helix751

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.