ImgBurn for DL Vs. GPME + IFOedit

dax702

I'm in the middle of a discussion on the Adobe Encore DVD forum about what should be used to submit an acceptable Master to a replication house. One of the more respected members of that forum says he would never in a million years submit a DL DVD even if they accept them. He says that one should use a $400 program called Gear Pro Mastering Edition to create two single layer DDP DVDs and IFOedit in this long drawn out process to create the layer break in the right spot.

I just wrote him a reply stating that ImgBurn has a feature where I can verify bit for bit that my ISO file matches my burned DVD.

In addition, I posted the link to the guide about creating a double layer ISO, or double layer DVD with ImgBurn's built in layer break calculator.

Here is his post about using Gear Pro and IFOedit to create these DDP discs (it's so long)

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bbf1866

Wanting to get your input on if ImgBurn can handle all this and I can feel confident after creating a double layer disc to submit for replication and/or create these DDP DVDs (one layer on each DVD)

Thanks for creating such a great program!

Mike

Hello and welcome.

I fell asleep after reading the first paragraph of that seemingly endless diatribe. Right after he said "Another very good reason for +R DL discs to be NFG is that they are NOT DVD-Video format, and as such tend to expect the layers 0 and 1 to be of equal size." The fact that layer 0 (the top layer) *MUST* contain more information than layer 1 (the lower layer) in order to be playable in a standard DVD player seems to have been overlooked by our knowledgeable friend. I honestly don't understand the need to go through all the outlined steps just to create a DVD. ImgBurn will happily preserve the layerbreak from the original or adjust it as you wish.

Hello and welcome.

I fell asleep after reading the first paragraph of that seemingly endless diatribe. Right after he said "Another very good reason for +R DL discs to be NFG is that they are NOT DVD-Video format, and as such tend to expect the layers 0 and 1 to be of equal size." The fact that layer 0 (the top layer) *MUST* contain more information than layer 1 (the lower layer) in order to be playable in a standard DVD player seems to have been overlooked by our knowledgeable friend. I honestly don't understand the need to go through all the outlined steps just to create a DVD. ImgBurn will happily preserve the layerbreak from the original or adjust it as you wish.

Thank you for confirming what I thought. Was I also correct in stating that I can use the Verify feature to ensure that the disc I burn is identical to the ISO that is created by my authoring software? It seems to me that if the burned disc is exactly the same as the unburned image, there should be no problems submitting it for replication.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, getting closer to doing this DL project. Adobe Encore tells me that I need to have +R DL DVDs to burn the project to. Can anyone recommend the best +R DVD (brand, media code) to burn to submit for replication?

ok great. Just so I'm 1000% clear, I author my DVD in Encore as I would any DVD-5 project. Then in the Build Disc window, I pick the option to build the disc to folders on the hard drive. In that same window, I choose dual layer 8.54GB for the size. However, there's two radio buttons for a Layer Break setting that are Automatic and Manual.. what should I select?

You don't choose a size, ImgBurn knows it based on the files. Leave the settings on the 'Media' tab at the default values.

Leave the layerbreak option in the setting on 'Automatic'.

In fact, you don't ever need to change away from the default settings - they're the ones that work!

You only change them when you 100% know what you're doing, the defaults cannot possibly do what you want to achieve and you know the exact setting you need to change in order to correct that.

• 2 months later...

Hello again, I'm getting towards the point where I'm going to be authoring this DVD. Something is a bit unclear to me though. In the Adobe Encore help, it says:

4. If you want to create a dual-sided disc, specify which side this project is for.

So as you can see in the screenshot I've attached, it's giving me two radio buttons Side One OR Side Two. The help file is telling me I need to create two different projects, one for each side?!? What should I do? I wonder if it's possible to author the whole project as Side One and then use ImgBurn to insert the layer break in order to make two sides?

post-7596-1193171774_thumb.jpg

I'll be using the Verbatim discs that you recommended earlier in the thread, I bought 20 of them and have them here.. Oh I think I understand it now; I misread side to mean layer. When they say to pick side 1 or side 2 that's if the disc is double sided. What I have is single side, double layer, correct? Also, for the purposes of producing the DVD folders and files, should I pick automatic or manual layer break?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.