The Americans Who Risked Everything

Pain_Man

With the Fourth of July the day after tomorrow, this essay couldn't be more timely.

:happybday: America!

A Note: Rush Limbaugh, the King of Talk Radio,did not write this. His late father, an eminent Missouri lawyer, wrote it. So if you're inclined to not read this because you don't agree with or like junior Rush Limbaugh, I urge you change you to give this a chance. It's a brilliant document which should be taught in every history class in every democracy in the world.

Our Founders risked as much as did the those Brits who engineered the Glorious Revolution in 1688, which forever demolished the idea of the "Divine Right" of Kings; this was a key step on the road to the UK's democracy today.

I've been waiting for Rush to put this up on his website for years. He's finally done so. It demolishes, completely, the notion that the Founders of this country were simply a bunch of rich guys who wanted to evade British taxes and suffered no consequences for doing so. As one of them supposedly said, "We either hang together or we will certainly hang separately." Fortunately for my ancestors--who made guns for the Continental Army--and the rest of the world they hung together.

The Americans Who Risked Everything

My father, Rush H. Limbaugh, Jr., delivered this oft-requested address locally a

number of times, but it had never before appeared in print until it appeared in

The Limbaugh Letter. My dad was renowned for his oratory skills and for his

original mind; this speech is, I think, a superb demonstration of both. I will

always be grateful to him for instilling in me a passion for the ideas and lives

of America's Founders, as well as a deep appreciation for the inspirational power

of words which you will see evidenced here:

"Our Lives, Our Fortunes, Our Sacred Honor"

It was a glorious morning. The sun was shining and the wind was from the

southeast. Up especially early, a tall bony, redheaded young Virginian found time

to buy a new thermometer, for which he paid three pounds, fifteen shillings. He

also bought gloves for Martha, his wife, who was ill at home.

Thomas Jefferson arrived early at the statehouse. The temperature was 72.5 degrees

and the horseflies weren't nearly so bad at that hour. It was a lovely room, very

large, with gleaming white walls. The chairs were comfortable. Facing the single

door were two brass fireplaces, but they would not be used today.

The moment the door was shut, and it was always kept locked, the room became an

oven. The tall windows were shut, so that loud quarreling voices could not be

heard by passersby. Small openings atop the windows allowed a slight stir of air,

and also a large number of horseflies. Jefferson records that "the horseflies were

dexterous in finding necks, and the silk of stockings was nothing to them." All

discussing was punctuated by the slap of hands on necks.

On the wall at the back, facing the president's desk, was a panoply -- consisting

of a drum, swords, and banners seized from Fort Ticonderoga the previous year.

Ethan Allen and Benedict Arnold had captured the place, shouting that they were

taking it "in the name of the Great Jehovah and the Continental Congress!"

Now Congress got to work, promptly taking up an emergency measure about which

there was discussion but no dissension. "Resolved: That an application be made to

the Committee of Safety of Pennsylvania for a supply of flints for the troops at

New York."

Then Congress transformed itself into a committee of the whole. The Declaration of

Independence was read aloud once more, and debate resumed. Though Jefferson was

the best writer of all of them, he had been somewhat verbose. Congress hacked the

excess away. They did a good job, as a side-by-side comparison of the rough draft

and the final text shows. They cut the phrase "by a self-assumed power." "Climb"

was replaced by "must read," then "must" was eliminated, then the whole sentence,

and soon the whole paragraph was cut. Jefferson groaned as they continued what he

later called "their depredations." "Inherent and inalienable rights" came out

"certain unalienable rights," and to this day no one knows who suggested the

elegant change.

A total of 86 alterations were made. Almost 500 words were eliminated, leaving

1,337. At last, after three days of wrangling, the document was put to a vote.

Here in this hall Patrick Henry had once thundered: "I am no longer a Virginian,

sir, but an American." But today the loud, sometimes bitter argument stilled, and

without fanfare the vote was taken from north to south by colonies, as was the

custom. On July 4, 1776, the Declaration of Independence was adopted.

There were no trumpets blown. No one stood on his chair and cheered. The afternoon

was waning and Congress had no thought of delaying the full calendar of routine

business on its hands. For several hours they worked on many other problems before

adjourning for the day.

Much To Lose

What kind of men were the 56 signers who adopted the Declaration of Independence

and who, by their signing, committed an act of treason against the crown? To each

of you, the names Franklin, Adams, Hancock and Jefferson are almost as familiar as

household words. Most of us, however, know nothing of the other signers. Who were

they? What happened to them?

I imagine that many of you are somewhat surprised at the names not there: George

Washington, Alexander Hamilton, Patrick Henry. All were elsewhere.

Ben Franklin was the only really old man. Eighteen were under 40; three were in

their 20s. Of the 56 almost half - 24 - were judges and lawyers. Eleven were

merchants, nine were landowners and farmers, and the remaining 12 were doctors,

ministers, and politicians.

With only a few exceptions, such as Samuel Adams of Massachusetts, these were men

of substantial property. All but two had families. The vast majority were men of

education and standing in their communities. They had economic security as few men

had in the 18th Century.

Each had more to lose from revolution than he had to gain by it. John Hancock, one

of the richest men in America, already had a price of 500 pounds on his head. He

signed in enormous letters so that his Majesty could now read his name without

glasses and could now double the reward. Ben Franklin wryly noted: "Indeed we must

all hang together, otherwise we shall most assuredly hang separately."

Fat Benjamin Harrison of Virginia told tiny Elbridge Gerry of Massachusetts: "With

me it will all be over in a minute, but you, you will be dancing on air an hour

after I am gone."

These men knew what they risked. The penalty for treason was death by hanging. And

remember, a great British fleet was already at anchor in New York Harbor.

They were sober men. There were no dreamy-eyed intellectuals or draft card burners

here. They were far from hot-eyed fanatics yammering for an explosion. They simply

asked for the status quo. It was change they resisted. It was equality with the

mother country they desired. It was taxation with representation they sought. They

were all conservatives, yet they rebelled.

It was principle, not property, that had brought these men to Philadelphia. Two of

them became presidents of the United States. Seven of them became state governors.

One died in office as vice president of the United States. Several would go on to

be U.S. Senators. One, the richest man in America, in 1828 founded the Baltimore

and Ohio Railroad. One, a delegate from Philadelphia, was the only real poet,

musician and philosopher of the signers. (It was he, Francis Hopkinson not Betsy

Ross who designed the United States flag.)

Richard Henry Lee, a delegate from Virginia, had introduced the resolution to

adopt the Declaration of Independence in June of 1776. He was prophetic in his

concluding remarks: "Why then sir, why do we longer delay? Why still deliberate?

Let this happy day give birth to an American Republic. Let her arise not to

devastate and to conquer but to reestablish the reign of peace and law.

"The eyes of Europe are fixed upon us. She demands of us a living example of

freedom that may exhibit a contrast in the felicity of the citizen to the ever-

increasing tyranny which desolates her polluted shores. She invites us to prepare

an asylum where the unhappy may find solace, and the persecuted repost.

"If we are not this day wanting in our duty, the names of the American

Legislatures of 1776 will be placed by posterity at the side of all of those whose

memory has been and ever will be dear to virtuous men and good citizens."

Though the resolution was formally adopted July 4, it was not until July 8 that

two of the states authorized their delegates to sign, and it was not until August

2 that the signers met at Philadelphia to actually put their names to the

Declaration.

William Ellery, delegate from Rhode Island, was curious to see the signers' faces

as they committed this supreme act of personal courage. He saw some men sign

quickly, "but in no face was he able to discern real fear." Stephan Hopkins,

Ellery's colleague from Rhode Island, was a man past 60. As he signed with a

shaking pen, he declared: "My hand trembles, but my heart does not."

"Most Glorious Service"

Even before the list was published, the British marked down every member of

Congress suspected of having put his name to treason. All of them became the

objects of vicious manhunts. Some were taken. Some, like Jefferson, had narrow

escapes. All who had property or families near British strongholds suffered.

Edited by Pain_Man

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny clip Shamus.

As well, in respect of the DofI, it made no mention of half the population, who presumably were not considered equal (yes, women!), nor of the slaves, who were certainly not equal in anyone's eyes. Jefferson was a slave owner, yet he wrote that slavery was wrong; quite possibly more oxymoronic than hypocritical IMO, but that doesn't explain why he kept his slaves - it has been written that he saw no practical way to emancipate them. It is said that his original draft of the DofI had a denunication of slavery (or at least the slave trade) but people reckon this was more a kick at the poms for allowing it, while others would say that it was "just politics" that saw its removal from the famous document.

Of course, in an incredibly overt political move, after Georgy Pie the 3rd issued his proclamation about the Americans' rebellion (a year prior to the DofI), the (royal) governor of Virginia offered to free any of them who joined the pommie cause!

Anyway, here's another funny Chasers vid -

Regards

tiny Elbridge Gerry of Massachusetts

Wasn't this the political savant who invented (or at least signed into law) the Gerrymander - to ensure that it needed a tidal wave of votes to unseat an incumbent from his electorate?

424pxthegerrymanderfl8.jpg

Now, there's a natural shape for an electorate -- if you wanna stay in power that is.

Richard Henry Lee, a delegate from Virginia, had introduced the resolution to adopt the Declaration of Independence in June of 1776

And therefore, quite possibly, you should be celebrating on the 2nd of July.

Fortunately for my ancestors--who made guns for the Continental Army

How did I know that guns would get a mention? Who gives a rats?

Regards

Haha!!! Name a country that begins with U!!!!!! =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) These people are allowed to breed????????

• 2 weeks later...

@blu:

Jefferson not only owned slaves but actively engaged in slave trading, i.e. buying and selling them. Jefferson's spending consistently outran his income and he bought and sold slaves to generate income.

He did describe slavery as an evil; but in another piece of writing he also defended it. Clearly he was conflicted about it.

But it should be noted that at the time of Declaration, every major European, Arab, African and Asian nation allowed slavery. The Arabs took 50% more slaves out of Africa than all the European countries combined. No country, that I'm aware of, allowed women to vote or to officially participate in government (with the obvious exception of female monarchs).

In other words, slavery in the nascent United States was completely acceptable to the mores of the time. Only a few people, like the Rev. William Wilberforce (the man who led the charge to end slavery in England and her colonies and eventually succeeded) objected to it.

Things have to be put in context. It's interesting to me that some love to denounce the US for slavery which ended in 1865, yet say nothing about the slavery of black Africans going on as you read this.

I don't wear blinders about the history of my country, or my family's for that. My great-great grandfather owned slaves. My great-grandfather was a member of the Klan.

And, of course, you're correct, blu, that Parliament offered freedom to any slave who would fight for Britain. Some did. But most fought for the United States--as they have in every war in our history.

We have come a long, long way toward implementing the promise contained within that noble document. We're not perfect, but we're trying. That's probably why people are willing to die to live here.

Funny clip Shamus.

As well, in respect of the DofI, it made no mention of half the population, who presumably were not considered equal (yes, women!), nor of the slaves, who were certainly not equal in anyone's eyes. Jefferson was a slave owner, yet he wrote that slavery was wrong; quite possibly more oxymoronic than hypocritical IMO, but that doesn't explain why he kept his slaves - it has been written that he saw no practical way to emancipate them. It is said that his original draft of the DofI had a denunication of slavery (or at least the slave trade) but people reckon this was more a kick at the poms for allowing it, while others would say that it was "just politics" that saw its removal from the famous document.

Of course, in an incredibly overt political move, after Georgy Pie the 3rd issued his proclamation about the Americans' rebellion (a year prior to the DofI), the (royal) governor of Virginia offered to free any of them who joined the pommie cause!

Anyway, here's another funny Chasers vid -

Regards

Make sure you cc: Dingy Harry and Princess Pelosi.

I think King george needs to be sent a copy!

If either of the two people you mentioned wind up being caught in the type of lies like that prick, bush has been caught saying. If they ever, through deceit, cause the deaths of thousands of our people like that scum-sucking, ass-kissing piece -of-crap bush has done. If they ever cause the price of gasoline to more than double just so they, and their friends, can make millions of dollars off of the backs of the poor and middle class people like bitch-boy bush has done. I will then send it to them.

bush has screwed up this country so badly I doubt we can get it back to how it was, before that sack-of-shit was elected, in my lifetime. One of my desires is that I outlive that bastard so I can go to wherever he is buried and spit on his grave.

Crikey.

And I don't even know who Princess Pelosi and Dingy Harry are. Some relation to Clint Eastwood?

Regards

They are a breath of fresh air in the cesspool that we have endured since King george stole his way into office.

Blu, have you ever unknowingly stepped in dog crap then gotten into your car? If so, you know how you felt when that stench reached your nose? Well, that stench would be a blessing compared to the odor coming from the White House since shit-for-brains bush has been in there. Whoever the next President is, that person will have to have the White House fumigated in order to get rid of the buildup of that odor caused by that bastard bush and ALL of his bastard cronies!

You know, at first I was going to respond to your rant in the same rhetorical coin, and demolish your "argument" but what's the point?

You've already made it perfectly clear that you will not be confused by the facts.

Make sure you cc: Dingy Harry and Princess Pelosi.

I think King george needs to be sent a copy!

If either of the two people you mentioned wind up being caught in the type of lies like that prick, bush has been caught saying. If they ever, through deceit, cause the deaths of thousands of our people like that scum-sucking, ass-kissing piece -of-crap bush has done. If they ever cause the price of gasoline to more than double just so they, and their friends, can make millions of dollars off of the backs of the poor and middle class people like bitch-boy bush has done. I will then send it to them.

bush has screwed up this country so badly I doubt we can get it back to how it was, before that sack-of-shit was elected, in my lifetime. One of my desires is that I outlive that bastard so I can go to wherever he is buried and spit on his grave.

Edited by Pain_Man

All I know is George Dub Ya is a constant source of very funny quotes. He doesn't seem to have 2 brain cells to rub together, but I guess he was smart enuff to get his brother in FLA to bury a few thousand democrat votes :D

Anyways, my politics are rightist in any event, so I prolly would have voted for the guy!

I am, however, interested in Pain_Man's view of whether he believes Movie Junkie hates America and Americans because he has opposite views to Pain_Man. For if he does think this, he should dob poor MJ into Homeland Security as a traitor!! Off to Guantanamo for you MJ!!!! :D :D :D

As well, and I am not baiting here Pain_Man, but don't you think the title is this thread is somewhat misleading? In light of your statement in post 9 and I quote:

Jefferson not only owned slaves but actively engaged in slave trading, i.e. buying and selling them. Jefferson's spending consistently outran his income and he bought and sold slaves to generate income.

So, clearly Jefferson didn't "risk everything" or else he woulda stood his ground and ensured denunciation of slavery was in the DofI. De minimus, he would have refused to sign the famous document without such a denunciation in it, don't you think?

Furthermore, I find it totally spurious to argue that because the rest of the world was enaging in slavery, that made it OK. If something's ipso facto wrong, it doesn't matter if 6 billion people are doing it; it's still wrong. Moral men and women make a stand and don't protect their incomes.

Regards

Anyways, my politics are rightist in any event, so I prolly would have voted for the guy!

As a life long conservative Republican I did vote for him...so I feel that I do have the right to say something here...and I've never been so sorry that I voted for someone/something in my entire life. It's my opinion that the countries best interest has been sold to the highest bidder ( big oil, pharmaceutical, military industrial, Christian right and Chinese etc... ) throughout the past 5+ years and, if we survive through the next 18 months or so, we need to make radical changes in the White House, Senate and House. The rhetoric of the overly-zealous religious right wing conservatives and their guru's of the airwaves that tried to take this country by stealth and deception with the overt assistance of our leaders in Washington has to be reversed if we are to remain with whatever freedoms we have left.

You know, at first I was going to respond to your rant in the same rhetorical coin, and demolish your "argument" but what's the point?

You've already made it perfectly clear that you will not be confused by the facts.

That's right start in with a personal attack. Well since you decided to make this personal I will respond in kind.

WHO THE HELL MADE YOU THE PERSON WHO DECIDES WHO RIGHT OR WRONG? I HONESTLY BELIEVE THAT YOU WOULD DO ANYTHING, AND I MEAN ANYTHING, IF IT MEANT HELPING THAT BITCH bush, AND HIS BITCH-BOY BASTARD FRIENDS, GARNER VOTES! I GUESS IT REALLY IS BUSTING YOUR NUTS THAT PEOPLE ARE STARTING TO SEE THROUGH ALL OF THE LIES AND DECEIT THAT CAME FROM THAT PIECE OF SHIT!

At one time I thought you were just a die-hard Republican but I can clearly see that you are a fanatical person when it comes to your ultra-right wing agenda. From your posting of the crap you copy from your ultra-right wing sites to posting links to Rush Limbaugh's (the hypocrite) website.

I noticed that you had edited your last post made to me. Is there something you said that you decided you didn't want me to see?

All I know is George Dub Ya is a constant source of very funny quotes. He doesn't seem to have 2 brain cells to rub together, but I guess he was smart enuff to get his brother in FLA to bury a few thousand democrat votes :D

I don't consider him smart, I consider him to be a con man on the grandest scale. It's amazing how much suffering he and his whore friends have caused by their lies.

You have too much sense to have done that. I am sure you would have seen through the bullshit. Even if you had voted for him you are smart enough, like some of the others here, to admit that he has screwed us all.

I am, however, interested in Pain_Man's view of whether he believes Movie Junkie hates America and Americans because he has opposite views to Pain_Man. For if he does think this, he should dob poor MJ into Homeland Security as a traitor!! Off to Guantanamo for you MJ!!!! :D :D :D

I really don't give a good crap what he thinks of me blu. In fact, if he thinks I hate America I guess I'm in good company since he thinks you hate it too.

@blu:

Nancy Pelosi is the Speaker of the House of Representatives, our lower house (corresponding to the House of Commons in your country, UK, Canada, etc).

Senator Harry Reid (by God's disgrace the senior Senator from my state) is Majority Leader of the Senate (our upper house).

I'm assuming you don't want a lesson in US Constitutional law, so I'll leave it at that.

And they are not a "breath of fresh air That's a delusion.

Pelosi is a ideological radical, a liar and a hypocrite.

Harry Reid is all those thing. In addition, he and his sons are invovled in some very questionable and shady land deals in both Nevada and Northern Arizona.

Crikey.

And I don't even know who Princess Pelosi and Dingy Harry are. Some relation to Clint Eastwood?

Regards

I had written a reply to this post but Vista punked me and it vanished. I've got a headache and I just don't feel like rewriting it.

The short answer to your first question is, no I don't think MovieJunkie is an America-hater. I do think that partisan hatred has poisoned his mind to the point of delusion.

I simply don't care enough to demolish the kind of horseshit he spouts.

About Jefferson, you're conflating two issues: So, clearly Jefferson didn't "risk everything" or else he woulda stood his ground and ensured denunciation of slavery...

The British weren't going to hang him for owning slaves! They were going to hang him for rebellion.

Furthermore, I find it totally spurious to argue that because the rest of the world was enaging in slavery, that made it OK. If something's ipso facto wrong, it doesn't matter if 6 billion people are doing it; it's still wrong. Moral men and women make a stand and don't protect their incomes.

As was put by a man smarter than I, context is everything

I wasn't condoning Jefferson's slave-holding or trading. I was merely pointing out the fact that slavery was well-nigh universal in the 18th century.

Augustus, the founder of the Roman Empire, probably the greatest stateman who ever lived. Without him, the Roman imperium would almost certainly have collapsed and the world we live in would be entirely different.

He also liked deflowering 13-yr old slave girls. His wife, the formidable Livia, often picked them out for him at the slave markets of Rome. In 2007, that's a serious crime in every civilized nation in the world.

In 10 BCE, it was entirely acceptable. Does it in anyway detract from Augustus' immense achievement? In no way.

A man's virtues are his own, his sins are a product of his time.

As well, and I am not baiting here Pain_Man, but don't you think the title is this thread is somewhat misleading? In light of your statement in post 9 and I quote:

So, clearly Jefferson didn't "risk everything" or else he woulda stood his ground and ensured denunciation of slavery was in the DofI. De minimus, he would have refused to sign the famous document without such a denunciation in it, don't you think?

Regards

@blu:

And they are not a "breath of fresh air That's a delusion.

Pelosi is a ideological radical, a liar and a hypocrite.

Harry Reid is all those thing. In addition, he and his sons are invovled in some very questionable and shady land deals in both Nevada and Northern Arizona.

Speaking about being delusional, saying Pelosi is a ideological radical, a liar and a hypocrite and not acknowledging that pus bubble bush has told more lies that any 25 people in office is not only delusional but also impossible that you can't see it (or don't want to see it).

As far as radical what the hell is more radical that wanting the freaking arabs to run our major ports. You do remember when that son-of-a-bitch president who you love so much wanted to give more of our country to them, don't you? I'm speaking of the same bitch who wants to give what's left of this country to the Mexicans who are here illegally while they are draining our resources.

Let's now deal with hypocrite. Remember that mother-fu**** bush saying how we won't rest until we catch bin-laden? WELL LET ME CLUE YOU ONTO SOMETHING...HE'S NOT IN FREAKING IRAQ. Do you also remember the draft-dodger cum bucket bush on the Navy ship saying that we won? WHAT THE HELL DID WE WIN? WE'VE HAD OVER 3500 MILITARY PERSONAL KILLED SINCE WE SUPPOSEDLY WON. THE ONLY WINNERS THAT WE'VE HAD SINCE THAT LOUSY, GOOD-FOR-NOTHING, SCUM-SUCKING SON-OF-A-BITCH TOOK OFFICE ARE THE bush's, cheany's, rumsfeld's AND THE REST OF HIS BASTARD MILLIONARE BUDDIES. But I guess that's OK with you because you are so blinded by party loyalty that I doubt you can see anything bush is doing with your nose stuck up his ass!

As far as shady dealings I will agree with you only if they are brought to trial and convicted. YOU KNOW WHAT CONVICTED MEANS, DON'T YOU? LIKE LIBBY WAS CONVICTED. BUT THEN AGAIN LIBBY ONLY OUTED A FEDERAL AGENT. HE SHOULDN'T HAVE TO SERVE ANY TIME OVER THAT, SHOULD HE? I MEAN AFTER ALL IT WOULD BE A SHAME IF HE WENT TO JAIL AND THE REST OF THOSE BASTARDS LIKE george AND dick GOT AWAY WITH IT. I GUESS THAT'S WHY THAT COCK-SUCKER bush MADE SURE LIBBY WOULD NEVER SERVE A SINGLE MINUTE IN PRISON.

I don't expect you to reply but if you decide to do so why don't you do it in a different way? Why don't you try using your own words for a change instead of copying and pasting the "party line" from those other web sites that you visit. I mean you do have a mind of your own, don't you??

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.