How to burn 2 single layer discs to 1 dual layer?

Sentinel

I have a lot of family movies that I copied from tape to DVD using a Sony deck type DVD burner. Worked great at the time and they work fine. My question is ... now that I have a PC with a dual layer capable DVD burner I would like to take all those 1 hour single layer discs and convert them to 2 hour dual layer discs.

Can I do that with ImgBurn? I see instructions on how to create a dual layer disc but it seems that all the instructions presuppose that you are starting with a dual layer disc or copying a dual layer disc to another dual layer disc. But I'm not. I'm starting with two separate and distinct single layer discs/projects that, when I'm done, I want to be one dual layer disc/project.

First problem I see is that both of my discs that I want to burn each have their own video_ts folder and, of course, in each of these folders is a chapter 1, 2 and so on. If I just copy them all into one video_ts folder then they get over written.

How do I accomplish this? I can't be the first guy that ever wanted to combine two single layer discs into one dual layer one. :)

Edited by Sentinel

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone!

I have the same Sentinel problem. I thought up to generate an image using the "reauthor" function of DVDSHRINK, obviously defining an 8.5GB target. But when I tryed to burn the image, ImgBurn said there was no Layer Break information in it. So my question is: how can I generate Layer Break information while I'm doing an image starting from two DVD 5 ? Is there any setting in DVDSHRINK or must I use some other tool?

Thank you!

I guess I didn't preyed enough...

I reauthored the two DVD 5 (to say the truth, they actually are the two sides of a DVD-10) selecting just the main title from both of them (about 83min and 79min respectively). According to Shrink the compression value is 100% for both titles, so I figure the project should perfectly fit into a Dual Layer.

Output the project as DVD files structure (as LIGHTNING UK! suggested) , open it with ImgBurn in Build mode, press the calculator icon and....

"Unable to find any cells that could be used for the layer break!

Now would be a good time to start crying, because technically, this is the end of the world. :(

Do you want to continue any way?" :unsure:

What is the problem? What I'm going through if I'll answer "yes"?

Am I so silly if I say that the only logical location for the Layer Break should be placed just in between the two original DVDs titles...?

I guess I didn't preyed enough...

I reauthored the two DVD 5 (to say the truth, they actually are the two sides of a DVD-10) selecting just the main title from both of them (about 83min and 79min respectively). According to Shrink the compression value is 100% for both titles, so I figure the project should perfectly fit into a Dual Layer.

Output the project as DVD files structure (as LIGHTNING UK! suggested) , open it with ImgBurn in Build mode, press the calculator icon and....

"Unable to find any cells that could be used for the layer break!

Now would be a good time to start crying, because technically, this is the end of the world. :(

Do you want to continue any way?" :unsure:

What is the problem? What I'm going through if I'll answer "yes"?

Am I so silly if I say that the only logical location for the Layer Break should be placed just in between the two original DVDs titles...?

If you answer yes you will probably see the DVD freeze when it comes to the layer break.

It's more complicated than placing the layer break between the two titles. You must make sure that there isn't less data written on layer 1 then there is on layer 0.

I have a question for you. Since dual layer Verbatim discs (You are using Verbatim media, aren't you? If not, you should be.) are quite a bit more expensive than single layer discs (you can buy 4 single layer Verbs for the cost of 1 dual layer Verb) and DVD's don't take up much space to begin with, why do you want to combine titles? It would seem to me you are causing yourself a lot of work and spending more money for no good reason other than saving a little space.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not telling you not to do it. All I am saying is I don't see any good reason for it, but that's just my opinion.

Well, you can do what Blu suggested.

you have to slit a cell with Vobblanker and you should be good.

(As to what cell to split.I have no idea, I sure blu would know ;) )

I think pgcedit might help, to find the cell that you need to split.

give it a try. :)

I'm just experimenting, I just do not know if I will keep using DL media.

But I like to learn and to understand, so I got a ten of DL media just to see how they work. So I'm definitely agree with yours remarks about DL media suitability. :thumbup:

Said that, I'd like very much to finish my first (maybe last) Dual Layer dvd. ;)

And, in order to learning, I still do not understand why is so difficult to find out a cell where to locate the Layer Break, considering I'm talking about a 162 min movie!

PS Normally I use Verbatim DVD+R SL. The DL I got are branded Sony, whose id is: MKM-001-00. They should be good as well... or not? :blink:

So long as it's real 'MKM-001-00' dye and not fake stuff you'll be fine. I'd read that some Sony discs had started using it rather than CMC dye or whatever they used before - and that's great news! :)

As for why it can't find any cells, I would guess the project is too big and ImgBurn just can't align anything whilst getting the correct amount of data on each layer.

You can (I can!) find out more in if you get build mode all set up as if you were trying to burn that project, but instead of hitting the 'Write' button, hit the 'Calculate' one. But before you do that, press F6. Then when you click 'Calculate' it should stick a whole load more info into the log.

Save the log to a file and attach it in your next post.

Yes, we need to see the PGC structure before we can advise you how to split cells. But this thread may be worth reading in the meantime.

Another (easy) thing to try might be to re-author the titles in different VTSs. In DVD Shrink, just invert the 2 titles. Or even easier, in PgcEdit, use the function DVD --> Remap titlesets (and swap the presumably 2) VTSs around. Save and try again. There's a guide to remapping on the PgcEdit site (written by a complete idiot).

Regards

You can (I can!) find out more in if you get build mode all set up as if you were trying to burn that project, but instead of hitting the 'Write' button, hit the 'Calculate' one. But before you do that, press F6. Then when you click 'Calculate' it should stick a whole load more info into the log.

Save the log to a file and attach it in your next post.

Thank you... I hope the attachment work... :(

ImgBurn_20070821.log

lol ok, can't get anything from that log except that it wasn't even close to finding any potential candidates.

Go the PgcEdit route and see what it recommends. I think it tells you where you need to be adding extra cells - something I guess I should implement within ImgBurn too.

. I think it tells you where you need to be adding extra cells - something I guess I should implement within ImgBurn too.

Will lose the crying message NOooooo .

Actually I hardly use DL unless for 360. On the rare occasion I use it for Video I have had that message once or twice when I tried to get the whole of my season 8 Simpson's onto one DL.

I managed it eventually and yes I know 32+ gig into 7.9 gig was not gonna look that good but It is OK for 15"" to 21"" TV and as an experiment.

So if you could put that code in the near future, it would be neat.

Until I come across these problems myself I'm unlikely to see a need for such features/fixes or have anything to develop/base them around. There's only so much you can do when you're just working around a 'theory' !

I don't do much DVD Video burning really (especially not DL) so I doubt it'll happen any time soon!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.