ImgBurn (and drive) does not recognise Verbatim DVD+R DL - Update

meedermow

First thing - cracking bit of software!

Whilst this problem is probably in no way dependent on ImgBurn itself, I guess there is an outside chance that it could be a setting issue but the advice seems very sound of these boards so please indulge the problem!

My NEC 3530a drive has worked absolutely fine at reading the brand of choice Verbatims 2.4x DVD+R DL in connection with ImgBurn and whilst I had a few teething problems whilst ensuring burn speeds were low and firmware up to date, I've now produced many fine DL discs.

However, I open a new tub of DLs and not one of them can be identified by the drive (and ergo ImgBurn). I try different firmware, ensure AnyDVD is removed but no joy. The quick question is: is it something to do with a duff batch of discs, or the drive giving up the ghost? SLs are immediately recognised and successfully burnt, even bought a brand new tub of Verbatim 2.4x DVD+R DL and tried again - nothing.

Could it be something really basic that I'm not spotting? Drivers or something?

Many thanks!

mm

Edited by meedermow

What's it saying the statusbar when you insert the discs?

i.e. open ImgBurn without anything in the drive, then insert a disc. Watch the statusbar messages and note what it says until it finally stops on something.

If the drive won't recognise and initialise the media, no software can do anything with it.

Hey LIGHTNING UK!,

Many thanks for getting back to me.

Status bar goes from:

At start-up: Device Not Ready (Medium Not Present)

Disc Inserted: Device Not Ready (logical unit is in process of becoming ready)

Until: Device Not Ready (Medium Not Present)

Though, like I say - ImgBurn recognises SL in the same drive immediately.

Here's the log:

I 15:49:55 ImgBurn Version 2.3.2.0 started!

I 15:49:55 Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 15:49:55 Total Physical Memory: 1,047,276 KB - Available: 614,000 KB

I 15:49:55 Initialising SPTI...

I 15:49:55 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 15:50:14 Found 1 DVD-ROM and 1 DVD

And you're sure the disc are exactly the same as the last lot you had?

They're not the newer 8x ones or anything?

Can the drive still recognise the DL ones you've burnt in the past?

The drives firmware is STILL up-to-date yeah?

Please be aware that 'ImgBurn' doesn't do any recognising of media, this is a drive issue - plain and simple.

Indeed, was aware it wasn't entirely an ImgBurn issue, but thanks for answering!

Exactly the same discs that I've used for months - 2.4x and the drive can recognise the previously burnt ones.

Firmware the very latest that seems to be available on both Liggy and The Dangerous Brother's sites.

The one thing that I can think of between the last successful burn and now is the purchase and installation of TMPGenc and Womble for editing.

If it can still recognise the old (burnt) ones, although you say they're not, the new discs MUST be different somehow.

That or it's just lost the ability to initialise blank ones - which would be a little odd.

If you've tried 2 spindles, the next logical step is to try another drive with said discs.

Yes the next step indeed will be to try the discs in another DL burner tomorrow!

Although the ability to read the previously burnt discs (and also movie discs) has now ceased (though SL are fine!).

Something tells me the drive is a little crook!

Yep, sounds like the drive is on the way out. Perhaps its laser can not focus on layer 1. How does it handle commercial dual layer DVDs? Have you tried to clean the drive?

Regards

Hey blutach,

Indeed commerical discs are now not recognised.

I've used a Lens Cleaner - just an over-the-counter one from a stationery store, but it doesn't look particularly hi-tech!

Any recommendations for better ones?

Like I say - SLs and burning SLs are absolutely no problem!

Cheers for the help,

mm

LUK! is right. If it can't read layer 1 of a commercial DVD, the drive is fcuked. It can't focus on the inner layer. Time for a new one for sure.

Regards

So the drive is back.

Well - sort of.

Whislt cycling through another set of Verbatim DLs just to make sure, the drive suddenly springs back into life.

I think it must be sputtering on it's last legs, but it burns perfectly - no complaints.

The next disc doesn't work - but then (with the same disc in the drive) by affecting the other drive (the Lite-On) in anyway (so playing a disc through VLC player, initialising DVDDecrypter - any activity) it brings the other drive back into line.

I think it just must be coincidence, but the last 5 discs are all no shows in ImgBurn with no activity in the Lite-On, but then as soon as activity happens in that drive - ImgBurn finds the Dual Layer in the NEC and burns perfectly.

So now I'm *really* confused! Is this a master/slave thing - anyone encountered anything like it before? Anything I can do to the settings that will ensure "normal" operations are restored?

However - on the bright side - the drive is back!

Cheers in advance,

meedermow

Edited by meedermow

No joy unfortunately.

Unplugged Lite-On, made NEC master (changed jumpers too) and it's still behaving in exactly the same way (not recognising DL media, can recognise and burn SL).

Guess that's it?

Cheers,

mm

I had the same problem with a Sony DRU710 drive about a year ago. It worked fine with SL discs but had problems reading and writing to DL discs. I had the latest firmware and I cleaned the laser but to no avail. I replaced the drive (I actually replaced both of my Sony drives at that time). I purchased Plextor 760A drives and have never been happier.

Cheers Movie Junkie,

Been looking at Plextor and Pioneer, so your recommendation has probably swung it (assuming there are any stock at the weekend!).

Thanks,

meedermow

You will find that the Plextor 760A is much more expensive than the others but in my opinion it's worth it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.