Maplins (UK) Verbatim 16x DVD Stock

scuzzy

At the Maplins nearest to me in the UK at the moment they're doing a good price on Verbatim DVD+/-R 16x 50-piece and 100-piece cakes at the moment. (This makes a nice change to their usual highly uncompetitive prices ...)

50-pack =

same price as SVP anyway

I know ... I've been getting mine mail order anyway, cos most "local" shop prices are so awful ... it just seemed noteworthy that Maplins' price has come into line.

And I'm intrigued about the varying origins of Verbatim stock - my current 50-cake of DVD+R 16x (bought from scan.co.uk at

if you have a look at the disc info in svp's pages, some discs ( -R) can be either MCC or Taiyo and others are mainly taiyo.

In all honestly , i only buy genuine -R Taiyo yuden branded Taiyos

looking thru the +R ones, theres only the Disc ID of YUDEN000T03 in the 16X non printable

and 16x printable DISC ID is MCC 004

was it verbatim who recently opened a factory in India or Thailand or a 3rd world country somewhere ?

In all honestly , i only buy genuine -R Taiyo yuden branded Taiyos

Hmm ... noting the general preference here for +Rs - at least for DL - and having read somewhere that the +R format provides better error correction facilities than -R both SL and DL, I'd be interested to know why you prefer -R for SL. Is it just the better-compatibility-with-older-players thing ? I'm just wondering ... and still trying to learn.

was it verbatim who recently opened a factory in India or Thailand or a 3rd world country somewhere ?

There was a horror story of that nature recently ... India I think.

I only use the Made in Japan ones and avoid everything else...with the extra lubricant...

Careful Alter ... I've heard they're .. erm ... "a bit on the small side" ..... you don't want to do yourself an injury :whistling:

+R used to be the most common format as a few years back the majority of players were mainly only +R capable

over the last few years -R has become the most commonly used i believe .

Older players handled +R but most people in this throw away age have bought a cheap player from a supermarket which handles all fomats .

My personal reason for the -R format was availability of media and all my players will play -R . taiyo Yuden appeared to be the most compatable media that all players would play ( Ive had panasonic players that would not play verbatim !! ) and thats why i stuck with them . i only use 8x media anyway , so TYG02 ID is the one i go for. Not overly impressed with TYG03 at more than 8x writing .

although TY's are dearer than most , they proved to be money well spent . originaly 50p a disc, but now down to about 30p , ive only had 6 coasters in over 700 discs, and everyone of those discs is still readable.

It used to amount to finding a disc your writer and player both liked, riteks G04 was good for me, then they went onto G05 and they became unstable, hence the switch to TY's

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.