Imgburn fails when i click "My Computer"

burgemaster

Im running Vista and have had the same problem on 2xvista PC`s with 2x DVDR drives.

When im burning a DVD or DVD-DL if at any point in the burn i click on "my computer", the write speed slowley drops untill it reches 0, then the disk fails :(

I know the easy solution is not to do it, but in XP you used to be able to do this?

Any1 seen this?

Pioner DVR-212 sata. and a DVr-112 both running vista

Cheers in advance

I 20:35:20 ImgBurn Version 2.3.2.4 Beta started!

I 20:35:20 Microsoft Windows Vista Business Edition (6.0, Build 6000)

I 20:35:20 Total Physical Memory: 2.094.976 KB - Available: 936.456 KB

I 20:35:20 Initialising SPTI...

I 20:35:20 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 20:35:30 Found 2 DVD-ROMs, 2 DVD

Considering the drive is supposed to be locked for exclusive usage (unless you disabled / ignored that feature?), opening 'My Computer' shouldn't do anything at all.

In any case, the drive should be able to recover from interruptions due to burnproof type technology. It's therefore most odd that you're having problems.

I 22:51:20 ImgBurn Version 2.3.0.0 started!

I 22:51:20 Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition (6.0, Build 6000)

I 22:51:20 Total Physical Memory: 2,095,040 KB - Available: 1,185,004 KB

I 22:51:20 Initialising SPTI...

I 22:51:20 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 22:51:20 Found 1 DVD-ROM and 1 DVD

Edited by burgemaster

well i can only say that the discs you are using aren't considered as good , i have some that are 1 yr old and i can't even read from them now.

try verbatim or taiyo yuden discs instead, if you have trouble locating these discs, ask and we will link you to reputable online stores

I 22:51:32 Destination Device: [4:0:0] PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-212 1.21 (F:) (RAID)

sorry , i should have seen this in that log too, check your bios, this should be ATA

is this drive on a pci card by any chance?

I 22:51:20 ImgBurn Version 2.3.0.0 started!

You should upgrade to the latest version available :)

Which chipset does your motherboard use? Did you install the drivers for it?

its a ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe, i think has nforce 590 chipset, yeah installed all the drivers etc

it did the same with ide and sata burners? and im pretty sure it did it with the latest version, i have reinstalled vista since...

when i click my comp, theres a delay, as soon as i see the drives, then the burn fails.

SOMETIMES, if i rememeber i can close the window and the write speed creeps back up and the burn is sucessfull

i also have daemon tools installed, v4.08HE, but i have had that installed for years

Edited by burgemaster

Can you please just confirm the 'Lock Volume - Exclusive Access' option is still checked in the settings on the 'Write' tab.

You should also update DT and install the 1.50 SPTD interface.

thanks for the time everyone.

1.39 sptd was installed before, its now 1.51, lock volume was checked. Now and again i get the error "Unable to lock drive for exclusive access" contuie, quit etc, when ever this happens i have to reboot for it to go away. But burns still fail when it doesnt appear.

Will try another burn with new sptd... anything else i can try first?

Which bios has your asus got in.

I have one of those boards are you using the nvidia drivers to handle sata, I just use the built in ones and never have any trouble apart from when i use the nvidia drivers.

I have not run vista on that board yet, I will install it today and see what happens with my install.

[edit] after watching your blurry video it just looks like writer hates that media.

Still the same problem :(

I can tell everyone now it is 100% not the media. . . i have many types of media, dual layers etc etc.

If i didnt click "my computer" im sure i could burn a 500 dvdrs in row without a problem. it will happen if i use a TY or a Verb or el cheapo 8pence dvds.

to me it looks like when i click my computer, imgburn losses access to my HD`s ? (doesnt matter which HD the img is on)

When i click my computer, it opens up with an empty window and the whole pc freezes apart from the mouse, i cannot move any windows about or bring others to the front, or minimise etc, its only when the drives pop up in my computer is it that i can move stuff etc

I have no idea about the sata drivers. will check that out next thx :)

UPDATE: installed the Silicon image non-raid sata drivers, and still the same.... driving me mad.. might fresh install again and install things one at a time.

errorgl6.jpg

Edited by burgemaster

using the red ones mate,

I have 2 x 500gig sata drives, and a 70gig sata drive for the os. the dvd is a sata drive also, but like i said happened with the ide dvd drive also...

Bios is one of the latest, the newer ones only support new CPU`s

Any chance of making a list/filelist of the drivers you are going to use when u try vista please mate?

I am going to use as few nvidia drivers as possible.

I will be using nvidia chipset drivers only to set up guart if applicable to vista and to set up nb sb stuff.

I will not be using the ide driver and will leave MS to assign it's own ide/sata drivers I will not be using the Sil Image sata.

edit what make model are your 500 gig hd's

Once the drive is locked, the OS shouldn't even attempt to access it - and anything that does should just fail.

For some reason it appears that's not happening on your pc. Some other program is sending commands to the drive that are killing the burn.

This isn't really anything to do with ImgBurn as it's perfectly able to recover from interruptions - i.e. I can 'pause' the burn for 30 mins and it'll still resume just fine.

Until you find out how these commands are getting through to the drive, there's nothing much you (or anyone else) can do.

Try this little experiment.... start burning something (enable test mode if you like or use a rewritable) and then open a 2nd instance of ImgBurn.

See if the 2nd instance can see the drive you're currently burning to or if you get errors in the log about a device not being accessible. Obviously you'll need to make sure explorer isn't involved when loading ImgBurn for the 2nd time - i.e. don't browse to it, just click the shortcut on the desktop or something.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.