ImgBurn slow to load

mark9977

Hi,

Lately ImgBurn has been really slow loading. It can take up to two minutes for it to load. I have tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it and it has made not difference in load times. It used to load in 2 secs.

System is rock solid stable, no virus', no spyware, 2gb of mem.

Any ideas? anyone else experiencing similar load times?

Any help would be appreciated.

untick check for updates at startup and see if that makes any difference might be your getting massive packet loss.

as well as that check the cables to your IDE devices and power connectors and check your bios has not been changed

check to see what UDMA mode all your devices are using and check any usb devices/ unplug them etc

Hi,

The updates were turned off, and I have the latest version anyway.

All cables, both power and sata are well seated.

for UDMA you mean the DMA setting under control panel/system/hardware devices/ide correct? if so they are all in DMA and not PIO.

Only usb devices are the mouse and keyboard, and they were there when it was working as fast a lightening.

Any other ideas?

untick check for updates at startup and see if that makes any difference might be your getting massive packet loss.

as well as that check the cables to your IDE devices and power connectors and check your bios has not been changed

check to see what UDMA mode all your devices are using and check any usb devices/ unplug them etc

only takes m's here to open any version.

You should still test with PS2 mouse and keyboard, hardware that worked once does not mean it now works.

Not saying usb mouse/keyboard is def the problem but you have to rule it out.

Not sure if a log file will help unless maybe you enable show all devices and debug mode under I/O

post the filter driver load order

remove any disc's you have in any reader/writer and leave drawer open , does that make any difference ?

I would also consider removing the ide controller and letting windows pick it up again.

Replace all IDE cables

try checking your memory with memtest as well.

make sure your antivirus definitions are current and scan whole system not just C: same for spyware, if your not already using spybot search and destroy download it and update it and scan whole system not just C:

also download a rootkit scanner and scan

check your hard drives for errors and also defrag them

It's bound to be caused by some antivirus / spyware util you're running.

Find out which one and report the issue to whoever makes it.

A lot of those tools have issues with compressed exe's - ImgBurn's exe is compressed by UPX v3.0.0.

You might get a clue from looking at taskmanager once you've loaded ImgBurn and seeing what's taking up the CPU cycles.

This thread shows someone with the same problem and what the cause was:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=224905

One other possibilty:

I found that if you have a home wireless network and one of the PCs is not responding then it searches for a bit (seems like a minute) before responding. Normally, if all PCs on the network are responding, it takes less than a second to be ready for action.

Regards

That can happen if you have (disconnected) mapped drives to remote machines - but it would normally give you a message in the status bar telling you what it's doing - and in this case it would be checking the filesystems on those drives so it can tell you about the 4GB max file size limit if any are using FAT / FAT32. Turn that 'warning' off in the settings and it won't do it.

I'm guessing the OP isn't even seeing the splashscreen for ages (falling in line with the cdfreaks guy) whereas I hope you are seeing it almost instantly.

I use Counterspy and Symantec Corporate.

Long load is just to get the splash screen, once it eventually appears the rest is as quick as always.

So, I don't have spyware terminator, so that isn't it.

All scans have been run on all hardrives in my machine. All are clean. Not on a home network, no other machine connected to mine.

Thanks.

Yes, the splash screen always comes up quickly, irrespective of whether mapped drives are responding. Thanks for the tip.

Regards

I run Symantec corp and don't have this issue.

mark9977, just disable all that stuff and then try again. It's not a problem with ImgBurn, it's with how other apps see it.

Some of the tools won't turn off even when you tell them to, as such you might need to uninstall them.

Did you do as I said and watch the CPU cycles in taskmanager as ImgBurn is loading?

Hi,

Yes I did try using task manager, but all that was really going on was system idle process between 97-99%.

I will try removing myself from the internet, and turn off the AV and the AS and see what happens, but it is not really practical, as you cannot live in a vacuum, and I am not going to buy other programs to do those jobs as both work admirably.

I had just hoped this was a somewhat common occurrence and there was a simple fix.

Is there a log of what happens when a program starts that I can post?

I know it is not a problem with Imgburn but rather something that surfaces when you use it related to something else in my system, I mean come on this program is minuscule and should snap open. I also have a slowdown/lag occurring when I right click on the main root folders for the drives in my computer, can take about 30secs for the options for new folder and other options to appear, that used to be something that happened in a snap as well. (Kind of reminds me of a BHO issue I had about 5 years ago, but I don't install those anymore.)

I will keep you posted.

Thanks!

I run Symantec corp and don't have this issue.

mark9977, just disable all that stuff and then try again. It's not a problem with ImgBurn, it's with how other apps see it.

Some of the tools won't turn off even when you tell them to, as such you might need to uninstall them.

Did you do as I said and watch the CPU cycles in taskmanager as ImgBurn is loading?

That's the thing, NOTHING happens before the splashscreen comes up - as I mentioned in that other guy's thread over at cdfreaks.

You don't need to turn the programs off forever or buy new ones, just find out which one is causing the problem and tell who ever makes it that such a problem exists.

I can tell you first hand that (depending on the version you're running and your settings) Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition is not the problem.

Tell me exactly which versions of those two tools you're running and i'll try to reproduce the slow loading. Can I assume you're running XP SP2 + all the updates? or perhaps you're on Vista now?

Ok, I stuck CounterSpy v2 and Norton Corp 10.1.5.5000 on in a VMWare session and did some tests.

It takes no longer to load than normal with NAV enabled but as soon as I enable ConterSpy it starts to take between 10 - 15 seconds to bring up the splashscreen. This is running on a 3ghz intel core 2 duo so could be faster / slower depending on your system specs. Disable NAV and leave CouterSpy on and it still takes the same amount of time. Leave NAV disabled and disable CounterSpy and things are back to normal. So basically, whenever CouterSpy is enabled it takes ages to load.

As it's a commercial program that you've obviously paid for, you're entitled to support from them. Just email them and point them in the direction of ImgBurn 2.3.2.0. Tell them it's compressed using UPX v3.0.0 and that when their 'Active Protection' is enabled (I was using the default 'Cautious' setting) it takes ages to load up. This is something they should look into and fix.

Hi,

Thanks for finding the issue. I wrote to them but they didn't seem too interested in resolving the matter actually.

"It is related to the monitors in Active Protection hanging on applications with a large memory foot print."

and when I wrote saying this program couldn't have that large a memory footprint, for I can start dreamwearver, fireworks, flash, and photoshop all at the SAME TIME and the four of them load quicker all together than ImgBurn they said.

"Active Protection is going to slow the loading of most programs because it is constantly monitoring changes in the system.

This isn't an easy fix because the whole active protection feature would need to be reconfigured."

So those answers are pretty damn weak to me, and seem to be rote and almost form like to me.

I appreciate the support you gave, at least I know what the slow down is now.

Thanks!

That's the thing, NOTHING happens before the splashscreen comes up - as I mentioned in that other guy's thread over at cdfreaks.

You don't need to turn the programs off forever or buy new ones, just find out which one is causing the problem and tell who ever makes it that such a problem exists.

I can tell you first hand that (depending on the version you're running and your settings) Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition is not the problem.

Tell me exactly which versions of those two tools you're running and i'll try to reproduce the slow loading. Can I assume you're running XP SP2 + all the updates? or perhaps you're on Vista now?

At this is a fairly isolated incident, you could always just uncompress the exe!

Get upx from http://upx.sourceforge.net

Extract upx.exe and put it in the ImgBurn folder.

Then from a command window, change to the imgburn directory and type:

upx -d imgburn.exe

That'll decompress it and you should be good to go after that.

@LUK!

Is this something the folks who are keen to have ImgBurn in their own language can use? That is, decompress the EXE, change the strings in a hex editor (say) and save. Of course, they'd need to do this with every new version.

Regards

Yeah, that's what the guy who translated the first release into french did - 'Sparadox' or whatever his name was.

It just takes a bit of time.

I think the GUI can be done once and then you just import the changes via your resource editor for the new versions. The control names obviously stay the same so that bit should be simple.

LightningUK,

I will give your suggestion a try when I get a moment to just sit and play around with my pc and let you know how I made out.

Thanks!

Yeah, that's what the guy who translated the first release into french did - 'Sparadox' or whatever his name was.

It just takes a bit of time.

I think the GUI can be done once and then you just import the changes via your resource editor for the new versions. The control names obviously stay the same so that bit should be simple.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.