format hdd

cathater

while hdd (160 gig) was in old machine, I installed partition magic. Set it up for dual boot.

Now its in new machine, installed xp pro, couldn't find the whoe disk. attempted install of partition magic again so I could retrive data or whatever. error 109 partition bigger then hdd see 107, 107 may have been formatted in another machine.

guess i need to know how to do a format and restore 160 gig disk

xp install just seems to want to clear displayed 100 gig

Cath, go into disc management and see if that 60 gig section of Hd that won't format is active. If not, make active and then do a reinstall of Xp and format. It should then recognize the entire 160 gigs. :) You may have to delete the 60 gig partion to make your HD a single ( raw ) section....... meaning a full 160 gig. :) before you attempt the format.

will have to try these suggestions, when I get a chance to work computer again.

Will also try to get sp2

will let you know how it works,--- probablylate next week

nothing inactive at disc managment

sp2 won't install, something about the the activation code that worked when I installed sp1---grrrrr

guess I shouldn't have tried useing stuff from sony

ordered xp oem sp2 from newegg only $139- a bargain at 1/2 that price

What about fdisk- that still hiding around somewhere?

didn't that remove all partitions, inactive or not?????

sorry chewy, so far only diplays and plays with displayed partitions, I can live without the other 60 gig. Could be a good excuse for a sata drive.

Will be a good reason to avoid symantec products in the future.

They won't answer (they do repond) if your registration is not on their files, and all my old symantic stuff won't run within so many days if you don't go online. Only thing I want to get running again is their defragmentor, have enver been able to defrag with ms version, keeps restarting

off to symantec to try somemore

will also have to spend more time at nlite site

I like the idea of unattended install- will have to figure it out as I know another install is always down the road

every time i refer someone to nlite they go overboard, it's like pandora's box

what I really need to do is integrate the damn sata drivers for all the chipsets I have loaded computers with in the last year or two, I have been trying to leave a floppy disk in the bottom of the case but half the time the damn thing won't work

I'll try not to go overboard

I usualy need help with any subject matter I find anyhow, as it usually just causes more questions

:beer::beer: you guys make it to my corner of michigan-- stop buy for a beer or 6 :drunk:

speaking of questions and new info

apparently you can get a pci ide card, to replace malfuntioning mobo ide, that source of info wanted to turn off mobo ide, but as yet has failed to suggest how

now that I've replaced the computer, is this a viable solution, put the old unit back together and get the granddaughters educational software (K and 2nd grade)

wasn't shamus having ide problems about a month ago?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.