DL Burning Stops Halfway Through!

chron_4

Okay so I just got my 25 pack of Matrix DVD+R DL's in the mail today and began trying to make back-ups of my dvd's using DVDFab to rip and ImgBurn to write. I followed the instructions exactly from the guide provided in this forum. About halfway through the burning process, it would stop and the log would say this:

I 16:11:23 Writing LeadIn...

I 16:11:35 Writing Image... (LBA: 0 - 3641695)

I 16:11:35 Writing Layer 0... (LBA: 0 - 1820847)

I 16:30:44 Writing Layer 1... (LBA: 1820848 - 3641695)

W 16:31:19 Failed to Write Sectors 1821168 - 1821199 - Write Error

W 16:31:19 Retrying (1 of 20)...

I've already made two coasters with two different movies, and I dont want to waste any more of these precious discs. Any ideas of what the problem could be??

I've been browsing the site and figure it could have something to do with my "firmware," whatever that is. The burner I have is the Philips DVD+-RW DVD8631 that came with my Dell desktop that I purchased some 3 years ago. ImgBurn does say that my drive is capable of writing DVD+R DL, but you guys make it sound like the firmware may be the problem. Do you think it could solely be the fact that I didn't buy Verbatims? I would prefer to try everything else before buying more DL's because of how expensive they are. I could not find anywhere on this forum or on google explaining how to update firmware or what it is exactly, so could someone please help? Thanks

- Michael

Edited by chron_4

chron4, without the complete log I can only guess that Yes it could be a firmware problem. Open Imgburn, go to tools>drive>firmware and see if another firmware is available for your drive. Also for DL burning we reccommend Verbatim DVD+R DL blanks as these are the only ones that will work proper and give you consistant good burns. :)

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but those discs are far from precious...

25 pack of Matrix DVD+R DL's

Buy Verbatim and only Verbatim for DL backups...

Please post the entire log also.

Philips DVD+-RW DVD8631

Here is the firmware for your burner, but it doesn't indicate being OEM Dell so post the rest of your log before attempting to flash. http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_result.php?kaj=1&isces

Okay I have some good news. I updated my firmware on the Dell website and everything works fine now. The Matrix brand DL discs work great and I've already burned 4 back-ups with no problems (in writing or playback). I would definitely recommend this brand, especially since a 25 pack only costs about $25. I have one more question though. Is the "verify" option neccessary? What exactly does this do? I'm going to be backing up a lot of DVDs these next few days and eliminating this "verification" process would almost cut the burning time in half.

I would definitely recommend this brand, especially since a 25 pack only costs about $25.

No No No No No No No No No No , DONT RECOMEND these discs, although they worked for you on this occasion , but there's every chance they wont work when you get the next batch, or may even become unreadable as timegoes on

This is why EVERYBODY in here recomends verbatim for dual layer and nothing else. they are the only consistent media for dual layer.

Ive posted this for the benefit of anyone else who searches the forum regarding dual layer media

Don't get het up volvo. Judging by the comments and questions on media, no-one reads our recommendations regarding Verbs or TYs, so this one will vanish too. :rotfl:

Regards

Okay I have some good news. I updated my firmware on the Dell website and everything works fine now. The Matrix brand DL discs work great and I've already burned 4 back-ups with no problems (in writing or playback). I would definitely recommend this brand, especially since a 25 pack only costs about $25. I have one more question though. Is the "verify" option neccessary? What exactly does this do? I'm going to be backing up a lot of DVDs these next few days and eliminating this "verification" process would almost cut the burning time in half.

I cannot believe that after what everyone here as told you, you think that the discs you are using are good. Just because you have been lucky and had good burns does not mean the discs will be any good next year (or even tomorrow). None of us are telling you to get Verbatim discs because we own the company. We're telling you because of all of the knowledge we've gained over the years through use and testing of the discs.

You have to do as you see fit. Just don't say we didn't warn you.

I cannot believe that after what everyone here as told you, you think that the discs you are using are good. Just because you have been lucky and had good burns does not mean the discs will be any good next year (or even tomorrow). None of us are telling you to get Verbatim discs because we own the company. We're telling you because of all of the knowledge we've gained over the years through use and testing of the discs.

You have to do as you see fit. Just don't say we didn't warn you.

Well actually I purchased Verbatims and the Matrix ones were the only ones that I was able to successfully burn. They still have great playback. But yea, I bought a new burner today (a Pioneer 112D, thanks to the suggestions in another post) and I haven't had any problems since so I guess the problem was with my old one. I think it just died on me, so do you think it was because I was working it too hard? I had it burning stuff all day and I left it to burn something overnight and I think that was the last time it worked. I dont want this to happen to my new one! Btw thanks for all the help I've received over the past few days guys, it feels so good when things just work :D.

Edited by chron_4

Each drive has its own life span, some last serveral years and some only several months. I've still got a working Pioneer a107 which is slow by todays standards but still does the job. 1999 model I believe.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.