Is this Burn Normal?

DarK HawK

I can't reach a Burn speed of more than 12X (Showing in the Write Rate on the Burning Window)

The Device Buffer is always moving and sometimes it drops and the speed drops with it.

Thought I might drop you some info for analysis.

Burner: BENQ DVD LS DW1655

Media: Panasonic 16X DVD-R TYG03

Writing Speed: 16X

Size of Data Burned: 4,624,089,088

Burn Time: 7:23

DVDInfo Graph:

dvdinfomt7.png

Quality Scan:

benqdvdlsdw1655bcib11selz9.png

Is there something wrong or Is this what it's supposed to look like?

Another question.

Also have 3 other DVD-RWs:

ASUS 1814BL

BENQ DW1800

LiteOn LH-20A1H

NEC Sony Optiarc 5170a

But I guess the BENQ DW1655 is the best Burner, Am I right?

The area I am referring to is the one at about 250Mb - where the PIFs go "yellow" momentarily. But this could just be a scan error.

As for the 12x, perhaps the burner/firmware/media combo only allows that.

As for the "best" burner, the BENQs have a good rep. I'm an LG man myself, though.

Regards

If the dvd writer and the hard drive with the ISO your burning share the same IDE channel that will slow it down.

The condition of the disc and smartburn feature or equivalent will do that as well.

The Highest peak (Spike) is abnormal but as Blu said nothing to worry about too much.

I just scanned the same disc using my ASUS 1814BL.

Note that I scan at maximum speed.

Here are the results:

asusdrw1814bl11311septebx8.png

I guess the BENQ might have reported the errors wrong or maybe the ASUS is a better reader/error correcting unit than the BENQ.

The Scan itself looks different somhow. I don't know, What do you think?

Still, I'm trying to figure out how Am I Just Burning At a Maximum of 12X.

The HDD and the DVD-RW are not on the same cable.

Here is another Disc Burned with the ASUS 1814BL and scanned for quality using BENQ DW1655, It may shed some light.

DVDINFO Curves:

asusburnas0.png

As for the quality, I don't think I will use this ASUS for burning again. (WHERE IS THAT VOMITING SMILEY)

Disc Quality At Maximum speed:

benqdvdlsdw1655bcib11setw4.png

Disc Quality At 8X speed:

benqdvdlsdw1655bcib11seig2.png

Yeah I Agree Blu, it's a coaster.

I'm trying to get higher burn speeds on any of my writers without sacrificing the great quality of the BENQ DW1655.

So here are the tests for the other BENQ (DW1800) and the LiteON (LH-20A1P)

BENQ DW1800

DVDINFO Graph:

benq2ow0.png

Quality Scan with BENQ DW1655.

benqdvdlsdw1655bcib11sehb5.png

LiteOn LH20A1P

DVDINFO Graph:

liteonru3.png

Quality Scan with BENQ DW1655.

benqdvdlsdw1655bcib11serl6.png

It looks like the only drive getting trouble with the Device buffer is the BENQ DW1655, though it produces good discs.

I don't know what's wrong here.

What do you think I should do?

You are making several fundamental mistakes along the way, your methodolgy is too hit or miss, first you have chosen a problematic media to test with, firmware issues with the tyg03 mid have gotten better with time, but I don't trust the max burn rate even now. Most people report better results with the tyg02's even burning both at 8 or 12x. Never scan at max with any burner. 8X with your 1655, 4x or 8x with your liteon. A little research would have told you that the benq 1655 has superior capabilities regarding "learning" a media and trying to get the best burn possible from it, overriding your ??need to burn at 16x. As the 1655 learns the mid it tends to burn faster, but not always.

Like you observed the 1655 is having problems reaching 16x but is making good burns, that's it's job and it's doing it well.

When you vary the scan speed or even the scanner you introduce another variable to deal with and confuse any analysis.

Try some verbatim 16x dvd+r

Thanks a lot chewy for your response, that was very informative.

I think I truly have bent some rules with the normal approach or the logical methodology, but still I think I might have achieved some results. ASUS SUCKS for instance.

I heard that the TYG03 might be problematic with some drives, but I don't think my burns with the TYG03 (burned at 16X and tested at Maximum speed - point taken about the testing speed -) looks problematic, don't you agree?

I also like the scans of the Lite-On and the BENQ DW1800, what do you think?

For someone that might come reading this thread.

I also tried to disable the WOPC and the Soild Burn options in order to achieve a higher burning speed, It did matter with speed, but it came at a cost with quality.

DVDINFO Graphs:

benqwopcoffsboffot0.png

Quality Scan:

benqdvdlsdw1655bcib11sesj1.png

Here is the same disc with the LiteOn at 8X:

liteondvdrwlh20a1pkl0n1ka4.png

Did you mean by that that I need to disable the WOPC and the Solid Burn?

And based upon those scans, and the assumption that I did more scans with the LiteOn and the BENQ 1800 and they turned out the same, do you think I should burn those TYG03 with the LiteOn?

The Idea of the TYG03 is that I bought a lot of them, based on the fact that we don't get a lot of good discs down here.

I'm sorry if I have a lot of questions, but It's rarely you get a knowledgeable person to question.

Personally I never burn my TYG03's at 16x, there is a noticeable drop in quality on the scans from 12x to 16x with them. I think I have the BENQ DW1655 burn them at 8x for best results. To me a few seconds shaved on the burn time is not as important as a the quality of the burn. :)

ok, now you have established the benq and liteon are both scanning well, if I had to guess the tyg03's are going to be fairly inconsistent

use the liteon to burn and scan a few with either drive, forget scanning in the other drives

to show media inconsistency you would have to isolate bad burns with your best burner for a particular mid and compare scans

to burns made with other burners

when I was first trying to do all this I had some excellent batches of tyg02 and mcc004 to test with

Personally I never burn my TYG03's at 16x, there is a noticeable drop in quality on the scans from 12x to 16x with them. I think I have the BENQ DW1655 burn them at 8x for best results. To me a few seconds shaved on the burn time is not as important as a the quality of the burn. :)

I don't mind the extra few minutes ifcrule1972, it's just I thought there was something wrong with my drive or something that I do to make it burn faster.

As chewy mentioned above, the drive "learned" that those mids are best burned at 8X-12X, so it burns them at those speeds never reaching 16X.

ok, now you have established the benq and liteon are both scanning well, if I had to guess the tyg03's are going to be fairly inconsistent

use the liteon to burn and scan a few with either drive, forget scanning in the other drives

to show media inconsistency you would have to isolate bad burns with your best burner for a particular mid and compare scans

to burns made with other burners

when I was first trying to do all this I had some excellent batches of tyg02 and mcc004 to test with

Here are three Burns with the LiteOn scanned with the BENQ 1655 so I can compare them to old BENQ scans.

What do you think?

l1vg4.png

benqdvdlsdw1655bcib11sebi8.png

And that's the same Disc scanned at the LiteOn at 8X.

liteondvdrwlh20a1pkl0n1cs7.png

l2ho7.png

benqdvdlsdw1655bcib11seqo3.png

l3od3.png

benqdvdlsdw1655bcib11sean3.png

Were you not supposed to be dropping the write speed down to 8X ?

Also click on the advanced in cdspeed when using your 20A1P to scan and tick Jitter DVD

Download cdspeed 4.7.7.3 (the version you have may be ok to use jitter) but might as well get latest version.#

edit never mind

Were you not supposed to be dropping the write speed down to 8X ?

Also click on the advanced in cdspeed when using your 20A1P to scan and tick Jitter DVD

Download cdspeed 4.7.7.3 (the version you have may be ok to use jitter) but might as well get latest version.#

edit never mind

Thank you for your reply dontasciime.

I figured that the new version of cdspeed got improvements regarding the new LightON error reporting capabilities.

I got it, but I'm worrying that the new version might have difference in the reporting and render all my reference scans useless and I might need to do them again.

I'll do it anyway.

What did you think of the scans BTW?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.