DVD file system Questions

KristiXS

I am having issues getting some HD .mkv files burnt to DL+R without terrible errors at layer break, firt using cheap Matrix (fake? RicohJpn) media which was horrible junk, now using Memorex 4x (Ritek D01) which is much better on my LiteOn 20AIH if i use 2.4x instead of 4x (my benQ does miserably with it though) And yes, i know Verbatim is best, but i got what i could afford at the moment. Sooo..I was previously using Nero but someone told me to try Imgburn for better dual layer results, so i am learning to use it.

In any case, I was wondering if there is a particular file system most recommended to choose when burning a data file to a dual layer for maxium space results and / or maximum layer break efficiency?

I had been using UDF 2.01 (in Nero), since it is compliant with XP file systems where the newer versions are not. However, i noticed in the guide here for burning a regular DVD ISO+UDF was chosen, and was also wondering why that was chosen in particular as DVDs were originally designed to use UDF?

Should DVD Video ISO+UDF file system settings also be used for data dvds?

Is there a file system which allows more data onto a +R DL, as i have some files which are just under 8.5GB but are said to not fit on the disk, and im guessing they wouldnt have been released at that size if they wouldnt fit on a DL of some sort...or do DL-R hold more data so imgburn will show it as fitting onto the disk?

And one final unrelated question. Which is the most recommended driver for burning - VSO, Elby, Nero ASPI, or MS STPI? I have them all, i assume one must be better in testing?

Sorry so many questions at once, hope they can all easily be answered =)

PS - as someone else mentioned here in this forum section, it would be nice if aside from the burning guides there was a detailed "manual / guide" which gives information about all the advanced settings in ImgBurn as i can only guess to what half of them do =) I plan to try xbox and pc game backups soon and some of those settings are probably handy to know.

Thank you -

Kristi

Edited by KristiXS

Welcome to ImgBurn Forum.

No matter what, unless you use Verbatim +R DL disks, you're gunna have troubles at the LB.

Now, what filesystem you use is dependant on where you're gunna play/access the files. If via a PC, then perhaps all 3 filesystems are in order (although XP will read just UDF easily).

Your issues of 8.5Gb files not fitting will be due to improper layer break placement.

I, like most other people I suspect, use SPTI - this is the default and we strongly recommend you do not play with the settings unless you know what you are doing.

Regards

Is there a file system which allows more data onto a +R DL, as i have some files which are just under 8.5GB but are said to not fit on the disk, and im guessing they wouldnt have been released at that size if they wouldnt fit on a DL of some sort...or do DL-R hold more data so imgburn will show it as fitting onto the disk?

Wikipedia articles for ISO9660, Joliet and UDF filesystems. Notice that ImgBurn's Build mode generates discs/images with the UDF 1.02 standard, which is the most widely supported version of the UDF standard.

I recommend using ISO9660 + Joliet filesystem, unless you need support for long (more than 64 characters) filenames and/or support for single files bigger than 4 GiB. In those cases you'll need to use UDF.

As for DL media, DVD+R DLs are slightly bigger than DVD-R DLs.

Thanks to you guys for the quick answers.

@mmalves - most files i burn are hd rips (4+GB, requiring UDF) and at your comment i seem to remember that ISO+UDF doesnt allow larger than 2GB actually in nero when i tried it. So that answers one question and just puts it to "which version of UDF" which is answered thanks to the wikipedia links, i always forget to check things there when it should be one of the first places i go! I see there isnt much point in using above 1.02 in any case:

DVD-Video media use UDF version 1.02. These discs contain a so-called UDF Bridge format, where both an ISO 9660 as well as a UDF 1.02 filesystem are present on the same disc, describing the same filesystem.

Standalone DVD players seem to be only compatible with UDF version 1.02.

# Revision 1.50 (February 4, 1997). Added sparing tables for defect management on RW's as CD-RW, and DVD-RW and DVD+RW.

# Revision 2.00 (April 3rd, 1998). simplified directory management.

# Revision 2.01 (March 15, 2000) is mainly a bugfix release to UDF 2.00.

Before you replied I burned a DL xbox game iso with IMG burn which had the .DVD image loader file and bitset it to DVDrom..The CDDVD Speed test comes out with a quality score of 64 / 277 pi errors / 8 pi failures,,,. even on the memorex when read by the LiteOn at 16x (a hard test to pass, as its not the best reader, BenQ gives much higher scores). So it does appear to be more the layer break setting (nero was obviously doing a really bad job) thats causing most of the errors. With ImgBurn, i guess the errors are solely the media since it has its Star Rating layer break calculations.

General Information

Drive: LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1H

Firmware: LL0C

Disc: DVD+R DL (RITEK D01)

Selected speed: Maximum

PI errors

Maximum: 277

Average: 93.60

Total: 2703491

PI failures

Maximum: 8

Average: 0.10

Total: 22034

PO failures: n/a

Jitter: n/a

Scanning Statistics

Elapsed time: 10:58

Number of samples: 159976

Average scanning interval: 1.44 ECC

Glitches removed: 0

However....even with ImgBurn i cant get a file which shows as 8,363,825 on the hard drive onto an 8.5GB image. Imgburn shows total file size when adding to image as 8,564,556 and says image type is BR -R or HD DVD -R ...i guess im missing something crucial here? Why the file size difference...grrr, i say, grrr! lol.

Edited by KristiXS

Of course ISO+UDF allows more than 2 Gb. All commercial DVDs are ISO9660 + UDF 1.02 and are perfectly able to address a dual layer DVD.

Also, Wikipedia is hardly an authoritative source.

Regards

It certainly sounds odd that an 8GB file would gain 200mb just buy putting a file system around it.

Are you sure you're correct with your figures there?

The info summary box that pops up before the build/burn starts tells you exactly how big all the files are and then how big the image will be.

Remember not to confuse KB units with BYTES.

KB might be 8,3xx,xxx but BYTES would be correct at 8,5xx,xxx,xxx (or even bigger, I've not actually worked it out).

ISO9660/Joliet have a filesize limit of 4GB so if you are using files larger than that you'll have to stick with just using UDF.

maybe i just cant read numbers lol. A picture speaks a thousand words. imgburn above, file im trying to add to iso highlighted in clip of folder at bottom.

edit: so doing the math, yes it calculates back of course...but when just glancing at it i wouldnt have believed there was that much difference. time to recompress my files i guess.

saharaimgyh9.jpg

Edited by KristiXS

• 1 month later...

Hi There!

I would have a question related with file system.

In Build Mode, if I set the Joliet level to "Level X - 110 characters", does it have any drawback?

I had some longer folder name, so a yellow warning appeared in the log that "Joliet folder....", and it seems setting the Joliet level to Level X - 110 solved that yellow warning.

Thanks!

Any player / file system parser that doesn't support out of spec file systems will likely crash / refuse to work.

You use 'Level X' stuff at your own risk.

Thanks much LUK!

I thought it shouldn't be problem, but I only thought for WinXP, since XP seems handles it, but I didn't think about other hardware players. Indeed for example a standalone hardware player for example if a DVD player doesn't support it then it might be problems. Thanks for clearing it up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.