A big thanks

Chef

I just bought an Optiarc AD-5170 A. I just threw away a Plexstar 716A. The Plexstar lasted only about a year and a half with minimal use. What a POS. I bought it thinking it was a great drive. Oh well.

I bought some cheap NX2 dual layer media from Circuit City today to try out my new burner. I bought the DVD "Cars" and wanted to copy it for my wifes grandkids. I used DVDFAB to rip and Nero Recode to burn. I chose Recode intire DVD to DVD, imported ripped files and changed to DVD-9. Burned the movie. I lost the main menu that had all the extras I was trying to get for the kids. The movie played but with no main menu.

I used to use ImgBurn to make ISO files to attach to Daemon to run DVD2ONE. I only did this because DVDDecrypter had to die and I couldn't rip ISO images directly from the media. :(

To make a long story short I remembered this software and that I could create ISO images so I downloaded it and followed the great guides on this forum and burnt a great disc with all the goodies. The kids are happy and so am I.

Thanks

Chef

Edited by Chef

if they were made in china or hong kong, expect to see mkm mid codes

AML and UME make playo, nexxtech and dynex in china mostly using mitshubishi mid codes

expect a lot of variation in quality from batch to batch, these disks on sale are usually about a dollar apeice and not a very good deal then

Did you not get the 2yrs Plextor warranty?

I don't want to start a Plextor bash. I just had a bad experience with one of their drives. I'm sure it happens. I do believe I had a year warranty. What ever it was I checked and it had expired. I had a dead drive in my puter for awhile and used an external Sony. I just wanted a dual layer burner. The drive I bought was under the Sony name but was actually a Optiarc. Go figure.

I only bought the cheap media to check out the new burner so it wouldn't cost me a bundle to burn coasters. Which I did do the first burn with Nero.

The NX2 were made in Hong Kong. They appear to work fine but I really don't expect to purchase them again. I plan on purchasing Verbatim. Any suggestions?

What the heck happened to Ritek? I used their media for years without a problem but now I've read that they are no good.

:thumbup:

Edited by Chef

ritek has been hit or miss the last couple of years, mostly miss

ricoh, their associate is working on 16x dl media if I am not mistaken, we all will probably welcome a turn around in quality for their products

if you watch for sales verbtim dl can be had for less than 2$ a disk and in the long run is much more cost effective

I got burned on 200 UME 8x dvd+r from hong kong with a Taiyo Yuden mid code, their web site cited they were buying the dye and stampers from japan, very impressive, only problem was the blanks were garbage

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.