The one thing I miss about Nero 6

denzilla

Is it in the cards to include this feature at some point? Its the one feature I find myself missing day to day.

*** Well it appears I have made two mistakes: I posted this in the wrong section and I actually forgot that I requested this feature a year ago

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=2179&hl=

In the that thread, it was said to not be possible due to potential copyright issues. If this is the case, how does Nero, Sonic etc get away with it? Also, I'm not requesting that imgburn bypass/circumvent inplace copy protection on a disc, just that it be able to duplicate the ones that don't.

Edited by denzilla

Ever do a 16x copy on the fly? In 6 minutes or less? And have a quality scan of 90 or above?

I have made coasters at 8x or even 4x

Reading to the hard disk and burning back, like cornholio advised last year is the best method

Back then, ImgBurn probably didn't have 'Read' mode. Times change.

I'll eventually get around to adding a 'Copy' mode but it's not a high priority as you can achieve the same thing in Read/Write modes - all be it a bit slower and with a couple more clicks.

Ever do a 16x copy on the fly? In 6 minutes or less? And have a quality scan of 90 or above?

I have made coasters at 8x or even 4x

Reading to the hard disk and burning back, like cornholio advised last year is the best method

I'm not talking about a straight disc to disc on the fly. What I'm asking for is the ability to put a disc in the tray, press "disc copy", imgburn copies to HDD and immediately reburns without without extra steps or user interaction. You can do this now, but not conveniently.

Well, right now, you got a couple of extra clicks to do.

Original disk in drive. Read mode. Green button (makes ISO).

Put blank in drive. Select ISO. Green button.

Can't say that is hard or inconvenient, can you?

Regards

LOL! Its very difficult for me because audio CDs aren't supported. My wife is hell on CDs, so I back them up and let her keep the copies in the car. Imgburn doesn't support making ISOs of audio CDs. Sorry if this thread is coming off like a rant, as its not. Just making a request for a tiny feature addition, thats all :)

Edited by denzilla

It does audio in the next release.

Oh, my - that's great!

Do you plan to support retention of individual pre-gaps for each track, or will they all default to zero or two seconds? I've found most software doesn't keep the individual pre-gap lengths, which is used in the CDDB/Gracenote (and I assume FreeDB) indentification schemes. I even pointed out to the Alcohol 120% makers that their supposed raw copy didn't retain the individual pre-gap lengths, and they acknowledged that as a bug, but later releases didn't seem to rectify it...

Well, the program scans for pregaps when making an image and those are then taken into account when creating the cue file.

They're then recreated (as read from the cue) when you write the image back to a disc.

Great - that sounds exactly how the old CDRWIN (Goldenhawk Technology) did it. The ability to read nonstandard pregaps seemed to vary with the choice of reader, however. CDRWIN would create both INDEX0 and INDEX1 times needed to create a nonstandard gap on some drives, but not on others.

Index 0 is the real start of the track, the difference between it and Index 1 is the 'pre-gap'.

A standalone cdplayer only looks for Index 1 when skipping tracks etc so you only see the pregap as part of previous track if you let it run through.

Of course not all drives reliably report the subchannel info required for determining the Index and they can also be better at it using one command than when using another one. It's luck of the draw really!

Then of course only some discs actually make use of pregaps. The only 'standard' pre-gap these days is the 2 second one at before the first track on the disc or when the track type changes (i.e. audio -> data).

You can change the number of automatic retries and tell it to not prompt (abort/retry/ignore) after retries have been exhausted - then it'll just ignore the error and move onto the next sector.

So in answer to your question, yes.

Look in the settings and you'll see what I mean.

Original disk in drive. Read mode. Green button (makes ISO).

Put blank in drive. Select ISO. Green button.

Regards

Unless I missed something, I'd say:

1. Original disk in drive.

2. Read mode.

3. Green button (makes ISO).

4. Put blank in drive.

5. Write mode.

6. Select ISO.

7. Green button.

Couldn't be steps 5 & 6 be automated ?

After I copied a CD, if I insert a blank one, it could automatically pass in write mode, with the last read image, no ?

This would be a time saver, obviously, but also be usable by beginner users (think about my mother ;-)

• 2 months later...
That's the whole idea of the 'add to write queue when done' option. You do still have to switch modes though - handy if you want to do multiple reads and then multiple writes.

I'm still not sure I know how to do a simple disc copy. I used ImgBurn to burn a movie I authored and an archive of the movie files and an archive of some jpeg files (total 3.23 GB.) I want to delete all those files from my hard drive so I can work on another project. But if I later want to make more copies of the disc, is it possible to just copy from disc in drive d:\ to disc in drive e:\ using Img Burn 2.3.2?

I can get Mode=Read; Source = d:, but am unable to get the Destination = e: I guess that's what the Checkmark "Add to Write Queue When Done" is for--then do you manually have to change the Mode = Write and start the burn, or does ImgBurn automatically start burning the disc in drive e:? Will it have the same file structure that is on the source disk (it appears to create one .iso file?

If it is not automatic, is there a free program that will copy from one disc drive to another disc drive with one click? (I'm new at this, so I'd prefer one button click--or step by step instructions from start to finish.)

If there is such a program that can continuously and simultaneously read and write with two drives, is it a much greater risk of a bad burn? ( I have 2GB memory and dual core processor, and so far, no problems burning discs from my hard drive.) Is disc to disc faster than writing to the hard drive and then writing to a disc, especially considering one has to monitor the writing to hard drive to know when it's time to write to disc? Then you have to clean off the hard drive again.

Thanks for helping me understand disc copying.

There's no on-the-fly disc copy mode, no.

You need to Read it and then Write it.

Stick with Nero if you really need a 1:1 disc copy option.

You could work around it by using Build mode and pointing the 'Source' box at your source drive and (when 'Output' is set to 'Device'), select your destination drive. That's basically the same thing only the file system gets recreated.

You could work around it by using Build mode and pointing the 'Source' box at your source drive and (when 'Output' is set to 'Device'), select your destination drive. That's basically the same thing only the file system gets recreated.

I put the burned disc in D:\ and in Build Mode was able to use "Browse for a folder" button to get the Source drive just D:\ (it doesn't list any files on the disc), then my destination drive is my burner drive E:. Is that the right way? What do you mean the file system gets recreated? And if it is copying what is on the disc in D:\ to the blank disc in E:\, isn't that on the fly? I don't know understand the process--what exactly will ImgBurn then do? Thank you for being patient with a newbie.

Yes what you've done there is correct.

ImgBurn will build a new file system based on the files it finds on the disc - that's the whole idea behind Build mode.

It's using the operating system to read the file data which is different to using Read mode and getting a sector by sector (1:1) copy of the disc.

So yes, it is on-the-fly but it's not the same a doing a disc copy on-the-fly.

The 2 discs will have identical file data but the file system data will be different. (you don't see file system data, it's used by the OS to figure out what's on the disc, that's all).

That sounds like what I wanted to do. Now, back to the question of disc to disc copying (yes, I understand about the files)--is this method a much greater risk of a bad burn, or just a slight risk if I have an adequate computer system?

You are terrific--I'm learning so much. Thank you for your answers.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.