2 computer/net questions

cathater

News reports terrorist are learning to use the web without leaving trace to there ip address. ?REALLY?

I'd at least like to be able to use enough of this knowledge to keep those holy rollers from sending me gospel, looking like it comes from adult sites, everytime I accidently wind up there

After I accidently winding up there, how do I make sure its off this computer, my cookie remover(? and what ever other cleaner I'm using?)

seems to have left a copy or link to "kentucky firefighter"

did not go over well, when it got found

1. Sounds like scaremongering to me. An internet cafe is anonymous. So is a free wi-fi hotspot like an airport. So is using your neighbours unprotected wi-fi. Even a proxy affords some anonymity.

2. Anyone who surfs the net with cookies enabled on their browser needs bending over a barrel and then humped silly. FWIW, I use 3 browsers. I use IE with cookies enabled only for EBay and Paypal and I don't allow third party cookies. I use Mozilla with cookies enabled for this and two other forums. Nothing else. For surfing the net I use Firefox with cookies turned off. Firefox also has 3 sets of ad blockers, a script blocker, a referral blocker and various other add-ons to defeat the crap that's out there. I also use an extended HOSTS file. There is no reason to allow cookies from every site you visit.

*cookie rant off*

:)

Cath;

Shut off internet access...Run CrapCleaner, both on system and registry. It'll offer to backup the registry but I've used it for years and it never has caused a problem....then goto my computer, pick the HDD you store internet craploa on, then to documents and settings, then your folder, then local settings, then you hand clean the temp, temp internet and history folders of anything left. Then goto control panel, internet options and run the windows system cleaners. Sounds like a lot of steps, but it works... :thumbup:

spinner

2. Anyone who surfs the net with cookies enabled on their browser needs bending over a barrel and then humped silly. FWIW, I use 3 browsers. I use IE with cookies enabled only for EBay and Paypal and I don't allow third party cookies. I use Mozilla with cookies enabled for this and two other forums. Nothing else. For surfing the net I use Firefox with cookies turned off. Firefox also has 3 sets of ad blockers, a script blocker, a referral blocker and various other add-ons to defeat the crap that's out there. I also use an extended HOSTS file. There is no reason to allow cookies from every site you visit.

I didn't know you could switch between browsers! *****Means I need another lesson!

I also thought mazolla firefox was one item (its downloaded/ not installed)

Cookie settings on this computer seem to keep changing, I'm assuming other user choices affect all users. I know everytime I place an icon on my desktop, someother user complains (home unit- girlfriend, her kids)

When I lived alone, cookies were only enabled when neccesary, and sometimes I couldn't figure out how to turn them on for purchases.

Can I switch browsers(firfox) and have it stick around with me, and keep the rest of them on "ie powered by yahoo" (yahoo just attached itself to ie this week)

I also thought mazolla firefox was one item (its downloaded/ not installed)

Not quite. You can find Mozilla here: http://www.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla1.7.7

Cookie settings on this computer seem to keep changing, I'm assuming other user choices affect all users. I know everytime I place an icon on my desktop, someother user complains (home unit- girlfriend, her kids)

A good reason to set up multiple user accounts. Everyone has their own desktop that way. If your HD is formatted to use NTFS (the file system), it means that another user can suffer a virus attack and have their files wiped without affecting files on the other accounts. So... you could set yourself up as an administrator to be able to properly maintain your PC and everyone else as a user if you wanted to.

When I lived alone, cookies were only enabled when neccesary, and sometimes I couldn't figure out how to turn them on for purchases.

Can I switch browsers(firfox) and have it stick around with me, and keep the rest of them on "ie powered by yahoo" (yahoo just attached itself to ie this week)

Multiple accounts will fix this problem altogether. :)

A good reason to set up multiple user accounts. Everyone has their own desktop that way. If your HD is formatted to use NTFS (the file system), it means that another user can suffer a virus attack and have their files wiped without affecting files on the other accounts. So... you could set yourself up as an administrator to be able to properly maintain your PC and everyone else as a user if you wanted to.

Are we discussing windoze user's? the screen with the cute icons for me, sweeti , kid, grandkid

Anything I install (imgburn) show up on their desktop, and if they remove the shortcut from their desktop it disappears from mine. One person install yahoo toolbar we all get it!

VIRUS-- maybe I don't understand, i thought when a virus made it to your harddriv it spred itself all over

3 browsers? ie 7 intalled 3 times, one with cookies for shopping, one for here, 1 to find eye candy accidently

(not to mention mazolla/firefox installed also)

we have crapcleaner here, removes a lot from all users.

Not sure what or who did it, but the hotsync stuff for the palm pilot has disappeared. Sweetie not real happy about that.

Slow down and a take a deep breath. :)

Yes. We are talking about Windows. Windows NT, 2000, XP, Vista and the various server versions all support proper, multiple password-protected accounts, which is due mainly to the filesystem used to format the HD (NTFS instead of FAT32). NTFS supports larger drives and is also much more secure. I'll put myself to sleep if I start telling you why it's better. Have a look on Google or something. The thing that interests you is multiple accounts and viruses. Yeah?

Multiple accounts. You can set up hundreds of different accounts if you wanted to. Each has their own desktop (background pics, icons etc) and each has their own set of installed programs. Each users sets things up as they like them. If you install ImgBurn (or Opera) you'll see a requester asking if the program should be installed for a single account or for everyone. Pretty self explanatory. Each individual account can be password protected and cannot be viewed or fiddled with by anyone who doesn't know the correct password. (Administrators are the exception to this but that's another story). However, anyone can view or modify any desktop if the HD is formatted with FAT32 as it offers no protection at all. NTFS, by design, prevents users from using any account but their own.

Viruses. In the same way users can't access other accounts, viruses can't either. A non-administrative user can suffer an attack and have all their files deleted but it won't affect anyone else. Even a FORMAT HD command issued by a trojan or whatever will fail as a smart administrator will limit what their users have access to. Again, this is only with NTFS. Regardless of the precautions you take, if you use FAT32 and a user suffers a virus attack, it will affect everyone.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright Shamus

Slowly

walk me thru the reinstall, multiple ie7,mazolla, user settings that keep eachother from interferring, , , ,

I'll print it

Everybody transfering thier photos and things to the new hard drive, which will get unplugged for the reinstall. Have found HP disks

Start there,ntfs, Then?

2. Anyone who surfs the net with cookies enabled on their browser needs bending over a barrel and then humped silly.

I don't think you have a proper meaning of what cookies are. For example, allowing javascript is 10 times more dangerous than having cookies from ALL sites.

What is a cookie for? It stores YOUR preferences within the site YOU visit. For example on google.com it may store the fact that you want the results to open in a new tab. What is wrong with that?

Edited by roentgen

"the main thing about limited vs admin is when you surf on a limited account malware can't make system wide changes, "

Limited account, user can still install his own cookie decisions and programs?

limited user can disable ? virus/spyware goodies for 1 reason or another (don't ask me I don't)( also don't know how to disable when installing software but hasn't been a problem yet(boot in safe mode??)) and suffer on his own when shitolla hits fan

What about runner ccleaner and things--still kill everybodys cookies?(login passwords,,,,,

2. Anyone who surfs the net with cookies enabled on their browser needs bending over a barrel and then humped silly.

I don't think you have a proper meaning of what cookies are. For example, allowing javascript is 10 times more dangerous than having cookies from ALL sites.

What is a cookie for? It stores YOUR preferences within the site YOU visit. For example on google.com it may store the fact that you want the results to open in a new tab. What is wrong with that?

*sigh*

A cookie isn't always just a cookie for storing passwords etc....... but you sound like you already know that. Example: Tracking cookie. Do you really want your surfing habits known by all and sundry? What possible reason could you have for allowing all first party cookies from every site you visit? Gimme a break.

Secondly, I block java by default within Firefox using NoScript.

Next...

Of course. Most web pages work fine without it. If a site requires java to be allowed (like Youtube) then I'll allow it. Clicking wildly on a random web page and allowing these things to run in the background is just asking for trouble.

The pic below shows other domains wanting access to my browser while surfing the Fark.com page. (I'm not picking on Fark but it's a good example of what's going on......... and also one of my favourite sites). :)

Why would you want doubleclick serving you ad banners? If you block the scripts that call the doubleclick domain, you block the ads. You also block any potentially malicious scripts from running.

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsldxhe/java.png

Of course. Most web pages work fine without it. If a site requires java to be allowed (like Youtube) then I'll allow it. Clicking wildly on a random web page and allowing these things to run in the background is just asking for trouble.

The pic below shows other domains wanting access to my browser while surfing the Fark.com page. (I'm not picking on Fark but it's a good example of what's going on......... and also one of my favourite sites). :)

Why would you want doubleclick serving you ad banners? If you block the scripts that call the doubleclick domain, you block the ads. You also block any potentially malicious scripts from running.

Farting around with the blocklist in my router. I could apparently send the reply but my router stopped me from viewing it. The great hunk'o'crap doesn't recognise wildcards so adding "ads." to the filter will block www.toads.com, for example. (Some sharp programming there, Netgear). Not quite sure what the trigger word is that blocked the ImgBurn reply thingy.

Yes - I see-farting around with double click , causes 3 posts of the same reply =))=))=))

I may have missunderstood earlier in this thread-- multiple installs of ie7 :unknown: I went to ms and downloaded ie7, IT DID NOT install a 2nd copy of ie, did not install over (replace) the current copy which says powered by yahoo- which showed up as she lost her palm pilot sync and ie powered by comast disappeared

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.