On Error, Activate Window

johny why

When an error occurs during a write-image or burn-disk process, if i'm working in other windows, i'm not alerted until i decide to check your window.

Result: i might not find out until hours later that an error occured.

Your window should blink and glow in the windows taskbar when it displays a message.

i'm running windows xp pro with ie7 installed

Turn the sound on then.

I dont have speakers, and i only put on my headphones when i'm listening to something. i dont want to put on my headphones to listen for an ImgBurn error.

during the rip, i may get up from my chair, sit across the room, leave the room, etc.... need to be able to see that an error has occurred just by glancing at the monitor. that would be great. but it's already great

(I'm going to assume that an 'error' messagebox pops up for every error - that's not 100% true but it's pretty damn close)

The thing with messageboxes is that they can pop up everywhere and anywhere and for all types of different reasons.

That said, I actually have my own wrapper function for displaying them and I could easily do it on a global level so if it's an error box and the app isn't active, it'll flash the taskbar. If it's not done on a global level, forget about it because there's no chance in me doing it! :D

Seems a bit lazy though because if you can see the bar you should be able to (get up and) check the program itself!

You can tell if it's done or not because a) the drive won't be making loads of noise and B) the drive's light won't be flashing!

It finishing due to an error or finishing successfully doesn't make much of a difference in my eyes - either way you have to go back to the machine to do the next bit, be that inserting the next disc to burn or repeating the one that failed.

I dunno. Having an error requester appear over the top of the active screen or a flashy thingy in the taskbar would probably just piss me off. The timer thingy gives you a rough estimate of when a task should be completed. If Imgburn says it'll take 20 minutes and the disk hasn't been spat out after 4 hours, one could reasonably conclude that an error has occurred. LUK, if you decide to do something like this, please include an option to turn it off. Thanks. :)

I'd never make the window active on purpose...besides, XP blocks such things from happening (soooo many people complained about windows making themselves the foreground app and disrupting what they were doing).

All I've done (as an option) is add code to flash the taskbar button if a messagebox that's about to be displayed has the MB_ICONERROR flag set and the application isn't the foreground / active one at the time.

That sounds pretty inoffensive. In other words, if I start burning something and it fails (and the option is turned off) I'll get no notification? Sounds good to me. Let's say I decide to do something stupid and start playing Warcraft right after starting a burn. If this option is turned on and I'm killing bad guys on Battlenet - which uses a custom screen, what happens then? Does my killing spree come to a halt when the flashy thingy takes over the taskbar/toolbar?

Yup, if it's turned off (as it is by default) you not notice anything different.

The flashing thing is totally safe, the only time it would kill your battlenet is if a window pops to the foreground and wants to have user input directed at it / be made the 'active' application/window.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.