Using Graph in Microsoft Excel

slicepie

I just began saving the graph for my burns to my hard drive and I have successfully opened the graph data with Microsoft Excel but everytime I try to graph the result in Excel, I get a graph set up but no stats. Can someone please test this out and tell me what I need to do or what I'm doing wrong?

Why aren't you using the free version of DVDinfoPro to open your graphs ?

http://www.speedlabs.org/downloads/Tools/D...rosplmirror.htm

You can get it from the above link

Well, let's see. I can either buy a serial number to download the normal version or have my computer bombarded with adware in order to download the free version. Neither of these options are acceptable. Plus, I already have Microsoft Excel.

So, back to my question. I am not looking for alternative solutions. I want to know if the IMG Burn Graph Log can be successfully imported and graphed in Microsoft Excel. If it can, I would appreciate it if someone could explain to me how to do it, because I can't seem to get it to work.

I don't know how to get the graph data displayed in Excel - perhaps its not supported ? The free version of DVDinfoPro does not bombard your computer with adware - if you read the info on the DVDinfo homepage you will see that its not like that all.

In fact I ran a scan last night and there was no spyware or nasty stuff installed from DVDinfoPro....

Just to reiterate what LFC said...

Bombarded with adware from where?!?!

Speedlabs doesn't have ads and the ones in dvdinfopro are not ads, they're just images built into the program that slide out on a little window.

I wouldn't force nasty adverts upon anyone. Can't stand them.

@slicepie: While re-iterating what the others have said - the ads are simply graphics built into the program (nothing sent back to or downloaded to update them), I did take a look at the file in Excel.

As the .ibg file has significant header information and also contains comma separated graph values, you would need to have Excel running first, then use File --> Open from within Excel, choosing Files of Type *.*, then once selected the .ibg file choosing delimited (likely not the chosen default) as the file type then comma delimited during the text import wizard.

The raw graph data on the log I'm looking at starts around line 42, however the speed is in the first column while the sector(?) list is in the second column. For excel to chart it correctly, you need to swap these around the other way - sectors then speed. You'll also need to add a heading above the sector list.

Once they're in the correct order, highlight the 2 columns of data with the column headings, but be careful as there are lines at the bottom of the data that you don't want highlighted.

Click the chart button, choose the XY scatter type of graph and the subgroup "scatter with data points connected by lines without points" then finish.

You now have one very unimpressive graph that needs an aweful lot of work to tidy up.

Personally, my time is worth enough that I'd rather:

• pay the registration fee for DVDInfoPro, or
  • Download the free version each time it expires

than mess around with graphing these in Excel. That's just me though. Each to his own. Hope this answers your question however.

Just to reiterate what LFC said...

Bombarded with adware from where?!?!

Speedlabs doesn't have ads and the ones in dvdinfopro are not ads, they're just images built into the program that slide out on a little window.

I wouldn't force nasty adverts upon anyone. Can't stand them.

Sorry Lightning. I wasn't trying to offend anyone. As I have been a previous victim of some rather malicious ad/spy-ware, I am very cautious whenever I consider a new program, especially when it states "Advert Supported" on the download page.

The link I was sent took me straight to that page and all I saw were the different versions. There is nothing on that page that explains anything about the "Advert Supported" versions and as I am not familiar with the program it just sent up red flags everywhere.

I am sure everyone can appreciate my concern. Thanks for all of your great work.

No problem, I just hope you now take our word for it and forget about trying to mess around with the figures in Excel!

Once DVDInfoPro is installed, it's as simple as clicking 'File' -> 'Display Graph Data Using DVDInfoPro'.

I'm sure you'll agree that's much better! ;)

Zacoz,

I appreciate your help. It was the little lines at the end of the columns that were messing me up. But I see what you mean about the graph needing some extra work that probably isn't worth the time and effort. I didn't think it would be so complicated, but I forgot I was dealing with a Bill Gates' creation.

Anyone up for extra cheese, double pepperoni, hot peppers, onions and bacon? :pizza:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.