What File system-both VIDEO_TS folder & jpg files

Oak Tree

I have burned only a few DVDs I've authored & they worked in my DVD player. Now I want to burn on one DVD+RW disk a VIDEO_TS folder and the photo files (jpg) that I used in the movie's slideshow. I've already burned two coasters because I did not know how to do this. So, I want to try it out using a RW disc. The first time I used a RW, ImgBurn said the "Disc Needs Formatting", so I let it format before burning the files. (That DVD would not play because I used the whole "burn to folder" folder instead of only the VIDEO_TS folder--and maybe because I made other mistakes I don't know about yet.) Later I read somewhere not to format the DVD--to skip the formatting and burn the blank disc right out of the package. Then somewhere else I read that DVD+RW discs do have to be formatted, while DVD+R discs do not. So it sounds like the formatting prevents the movie from playing, but is it possible to use a DVD+RW without formatting? I have one DVD+RW created with Adobe Premiere Elements that does play in my DVD player, but I don't remember having to format it.

If I have to nix the RW idea and risk another DVD+R, I still don't know which of the File System options to choose. ImgBurn's default is ISO9660 + UDF. Does ImgBurn figure that out for you or do I have to choose the right one(s) every time?

The first time I used ImgBurn, I just selected the source files without choosing any options--I don't know which ones to choose anyway. The program said since I did not choose a Volume Label, it chose one for me. I'm looking at the Labels tab which has a Volume Label fill in the blank for ISO9660 and a blank for UDF. Do I put the same name in both blanks or what?

Besides my specific questions, any additional information and help you can give me will be appreciated. I've spent three whole days trying to figure out how to do this--the more I read, the more complicated it gets!

Just put the JPGs at either the same level as VIDEO_TS or in a folder at the same level as VIDEO_TS. Once this is done, just choose the parent folder of VIDEO_TS in build mode.

I'd then use the normal FS for DVD Video - ISO9660 and UDF (1.02) (you could add Joliet, if you liked but that is not really necessary). If you are burning a DVD Video, if necessary, ImgBurn will tell you that your settings are not OK and will offer to fix them for you.

Your DVDRW is now formatted and ready to use. Other apps will allow you to burn to an unformatted RW, but ImgBurn prefers it to be properly formatted. There is a setting that can turn this off, however (on the Write tab of the Settings).

Regards

I'm not sure this is where or how to reply? I deleted what was in this blank to type this--

After posting, I decided to go on and try another blank RW. I let ImgBurn do the formatting. This time the DVD+RW did play in my DVD player, and I was able to bring up the photo files with my computer.

You said something about putting the files on the same level. What does that mean--how do you choose a level?

Thank you for your reply.

Make a folder structure like this...

[some random folder path]\MY_DVD - (JPG files go in here)

[some random folder path]\MY_DVD\VIDEO_TS - (IFO/BUP/VOB files go in here)

or

[some random folder path]\MY_DVD\Pictures - (JPG files go in here)

Then add the '[some random folder path]\MY_DVD' folder to the source list in Build mode.

Make a folder structure like this...

[some random folder path]\MY_DVD - (JPG files go in here)

I understand the above--that's the way I got it to work. I put the VIDEO_TS folder and the jpg files in the root or the E:\ drive

But I'm not following the alternative method below:

[some random folder path]\MY_DVD\Pictures - (JPG files go in here)

Then add the '[some random folder path]\MY_DVD' folder to the source list in Build mode.

Doesn't the VIDEO_TS folder have to go in the root of the DVD for the player to find it? It seems like you have the jpg files in a folder named Pictures which is in the root of the DVD and also the VIDEO_TS folder in the root. But when you say to put the parent folder in the source list, doesn't that put the parent folder burned to the DVD with two folders in it--Pictures and VIDEO_TS? So is the DVD player able to find the "buried" VIDEO_TS folder in order to play the movie?

I'm sorry to be so dense; I'm too tired to think.

When you add a single folder to the source list, ImgBurn will prompt you and ask if that folder represents what should be the root of the disc.

So just say 'Yes'.

Then all you'll have on the disc is the 'Pictures' and 'VIDEO_TS' folder... the 'MY_DVD' one won't actually be on there (just everything that lives within it).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.