BenQ DW1640

Movie Junkie

Nice drive, good + fast at scanning too.

Might aswell get a 1655 though. They're hard to get in the UK (well, the 'Retail' model is) but newegg have them in the US.

btw, you want the retail one :)

Thanks for the info. I did not know about the 1655. I just checked and I see that the 1655 has LightScribe. Are there any other differences?

I will be purchasing the retail version.

Edited by Movie Junkie

What other differences could there be?! Well you know, ones you could actually see I mean!

Hardware is different, firmware is different but I'm not sure if there have been any speed improvements (that's the bit you would 'see').

I guess DVD+R DL might be faster, or DVD-R DL. Other than that, the 1640 was probably maxed out anyway!

Burn quality in general is supposed to be better than the 1640 and previous models.

Any glitches the 1640 had, have probably been ironed out.

What other differences could there be?! Well you know, ones you could actually see I mean!

Hardware is different, firmware is different but I'm not sure if there have been any speed improvements (that's the bit you would 'see').

I guess DVD+R DL might be faster, or DVD-R DL. Other than that, the 1640 was probably maxed out anyway!

Burn quality in general is supposed to be better than the 1640 and previous models.

Any glitches the 1640 had, have probably been ironed out.

Thanks again Lightning UK. I will be purchasing the 1655...except NOBODY HAS IT!! They don't have the 1640 either. (I am talking about the retail versions of each model.) I have been to NewEgg, CyberGuys, ZipZoomFly and a few others. I did find one place that claimed they had it but according to a post I read they are sending out the OEM versions.

According to BenQ America they don't expect to get more drives until the middle of next month. What a bummer! :swear:

Komplett.co.uk says they'll have the retail (black) version in stock on the 20th...

http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=317132&cks=PRL

Thanks digi but I e-mailed them to check it was the retail version otherwise the free discs aren't free cos they cost ?5 ! They mailed me back to say that too was the OEM version :(

I still can't find retail DW1655 here in the UK - honestly its as rare as rocking horse shit :horse:

How much do you want? 00000290.gif

Couple of bags should do the garden - thanks !! ha ha :lol:

agreed, but as the original poster said

"I will be replacing one of my drives and I am thinking about purchasing the BenQ DW 1640."

the 1650 won't be crossflashed to the 1655, because of ram liscensing

fees and who knows what quickee's up to.

Agreed, original poster mentioned the 1640 initially, but after my 1st post, the thread moved over to the 1655. 'Movie Junkie' didn't know about the 1655 until I mentioned it.

Anyway, it's clear you were just trying to be helpful and I'm sure we're both more than capable of reading/following the thread.

Komplett.co.uk says they'll have the retail (black) version in stock on the 20th...

Thanks digi but I e-mailed them to check it was the retail version otherwise the free discs aren't free cos they cost ?5 ! They mailed me back to say that too was the OEM version :(

I still can't find retail DW1655 here in the UK - honestly its as rare as rocking horse shit :horse:

How much do you want? 00000290.gif

Couple of bags should do the garden - thanks !! ha ha :lol:

It's on the way to you. In case you are wondering where I got it, there is always a BIGsupply in Washington, DC...especally at the White House! :whistling::whistling::whistling:

Noticed in the Qtools that came w/ the 1655 that you can change the booktype of any +r/rw/dl media, even to dvd-r if you so wish, although that option may have been possible on older Benq's too. Any advantage/disadvantage to that over changing it to dvd-rom?

Oh well, at least they're honest...

I'd assumed it was a retail as it didn't say OEM, as their other OEM drives did.

I'll keep me eyes peeled and let you know.

BTW, I've got a BenQ and it's been great. Even better than my previous Lite-on...

EDIT: Hang on a sec...

This is the the one that's in stock:

http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=316659&cks=PRL

And this is the one that isn't yet (which I posted about):

The in-stock one says OEM, but the out-of-stock one doesn't. So, are they BOTH OEM then...?

Edited by digidragon

In Canada the "free media" is 1 free lightscribe cdr. Big fuckin' deal. The difference's I've noticed is that the Qtools has 8 tabs w/ options over the oems 4 tabs, they have different firmware, and the retail is 2.5X as expensive as the oem. It can't burn TYG02's for shit either, real ugly scan, shows their write speed as 2.4x, 4x, 8x, whereas my Plex & Nec both show 4x, 8x, 12x, 16x. I suspect this will be corrected with a firmware update.

@digi - Turns out that Komplett got it wrong, the more expensive DW1655 is the retail one :doh: I kept pushing them to clarify and eventually I noticed that the manf. prod id is for the retail model !

The included progs have more options in them than the OEM as Grain pointed out......

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.