BenQ DW1640

Movie Junkie

In the Uk, just get the 1640, its an ace drive, use mine mainly for scanning and burning dvd+r's with book type set to roms

The light scribe............................ Well just buy a cdr pen and write on your disks, i even have a penceil now to recored my failure rate :blink:

cant find where i got mine form but these chaps list one

http://www.gltec.co.uk/productinfo.php?id=550

If you are just into burning and dont require scanning then my favourite at present is the 110D cross flashed to the A10XL Buffalo 8.37............................or just get both!

Edited by BurnerFreak

@digi - Turns out that Komplett got it wrong, the more expensive DW1655 is the retail one :doh:

Excellent! So now you'll be able to do graphs of PIE and PIF errors (whatever they are :P). But seriously, my BenQ has been great. Only one coaster (which happened earlier tonight, strangely) but otherwise it's been flawless.

Only 5 days to go before they're in stock... :thumbup:

I'd prefer the DW1655 myself as the lightscribe disc's aren't noticeably more expensive than the standard Verbatim's from what I'd seen. I'd read the process was supposed to be faster on the latest generation lightscribe burners too. I also don't have a disc printer - so it's marker pen only at present. :( Would like to put some more polished labelling on some disc's.

@BurnerFreak: Was going to offer you a pencil sharpener, but recall that you're using decent media, so probably won't wear it down enough to need sharpening :lol:

Thanks for the advice - I will be sticking to the DW1655 tho guys, when I get a new burner I always try and get the newest one available - ok lightscribe isn't going to be my main reason for buying it (I print all my discs with my Epson R200) but it will be there to experiment on when I get bored of helping with the disc tests....... :D

Well guys, you've convinced me, did some research and I'll probabley spring for the DW1655 as well. My Pioneer 108 is getting old so maybe its time for a fresh machine. I bought my Epson R200 printer after you guys reccommendations and its great. Will keep the Pioneer drive as a third drive. :thumbup:

Well guys, you've convinced me, did some research and I'll probabley spring for the DW1655 as well. My Pioneer 108 is getting old so maybe its time for a fresh machine. I bought my Epson R200 printer after you guys reccommendations and its great. Will keep the Pioneer drive as a third drive. :thumbup:

what's your other drive?

Hey Chewy, third drive is a oldy.......... Pioneer A-08. Still works great, but I mainly use it for CD creating now and not DVD's. Guess I should really dump it and get a newer model. :/

oh ok......... :doh: really have to wake up before I post in the mornings......... :lol:

Chewy: Pioneer 108

Pioneer A-08

Benq 1655 ( new later today) 65.99$ cad.

Will probabley look at Pioneer 110D to replace A-08 which is quite old now. Whats your opinoin on these Chewy? :/

Edited by kevdriver

oh ok......... :doh: really have to wake up before I post in the mornings......... :lol:

Chewy: Pioneer 108

Pioneer A-08

Benq 1655 ( new later today)

Will probabley look at Pioneer 110D to replace A-08 which is quite old now. Whats your opinoin on these Chewy? :/

I guess you were including your hard drive, I thought you had another burner besides the Pioneer 108.

The pioneer 110D seems to be the only drive that has much luck with ritek dl disks, but who wants to use

them? If you could ever find an old stock LG 4163B, that's my most valued burner! I love my nec 3550 and hope I don't wear it out before the firmware matures. When I can get a benq 1550, I will retire my

LG from burning and save as a reader.

Chewy, would this be the LG model you mentioned: http://www.computergoodies.ca/item1218.htm

The price is right and availability is good. I take it that its a great burner. Sorry for all the questions man, but you guys give me so much more information to make a choice by.................. :o . :lol:

Chewy, would this be the LG model you mentioned: http://www.computergoodies.ca/item1218.htm

The price is right and availability is good. I take it that its a great burner. Sorry for all the questions man, but you guys give me so much more information to make a choice by.................. :o . :lol:

I thought they were all gone, it doesn't scan, but is the best reader I have ever used, will handle almost

any badly burned or damaged disks. Coupled with a benq, you have the best of both worlds, and as an extra it's the fastest burner I have seen. Consistent 95-99 burns @ 8x on MIJ media.

Blooie and anonie sure like theirs.

Hey Chewy, third drive is a oldy.......... Pioneer A-08. Still works great, but I mainly use it for CD creating now and not DVD's. Guess I should really dump it and get a newer model. :/

Why dump it? I?ve still got a 105 and a 106 in other machines. Great drives. A bit slow these days but still great drives. Reliable as hell too. Never a bad burn that wasn?t my fault somehow or bad media. The 109s I mostly use these days will do me nicely for the forseeable future. <shrug>

Hi Shamus, no won't dump it completely as it still does work great. Will keep it as a dvd rom usage drive and in case of emergencies. The A-08 was my first DVD burner and served me well. :) . Perhaps if I decide to build another machine I can put it in that one as a secondary drive.

I have a Pioneer 107 ROM in my old machine, it's starting to spit out the tray with the disc still spinning at full rpm though, which tends to scratch them up pretty bad :swear: I use it just rarely enough to forget and still use it now and then, I guess it's time to remove it and use it for a door stop.

Yeah, it makes a rather nasty noise as the disc comes to a grinding stop. I tried an exorcism, but as I'm not Catholic I just pissed it off. After the monitor stopped spinning, and the horrible thing quit stabbing itself in a PCI slot, I gave up.

It can't burn TYG02's for shit either, real ugly scan, shows their write speed as 2.4x, 4x, 8x, whereas my Plex & Nec both show 4x, 8x, 12x, 16x. I suspect this will be corrected with a firmware update.

I see on LUK's review of TYG02 media that his 1640 show's the same speeds as the 1655, so perhaps I need to burn some more and the quality will improve (crossing fingers).

I wonder if there's a difference in DL burning between the OEM & retail firmware? Don't really feel like sacrificing a disc to find out though, may just wait for an update.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.