Yet another 'Bootable CD' question...

jaysee

Okay, I've read the Guides and searched the posts but can't find the answer: I'd like to burn from a bootable floppy image (via 'Create Boot Image') and have no other files added to a bootable CD, but it seems that ImgBurn insists on at least a "Dummy" file being added to the 'Source' box before anything can be written -- Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Jay

Why not just make that one file a Readme.txt file saying the disc is only a boot disc? Might as well make use of of the hundreds of MB of wasted disc...

Other than that, I'm guessing there must be some type of structure on the disc for it to be recognized as a disc. A bootable disc does need to be an ISO disc, so most likely needs at least the layout of that filetype.

weisborg:

Thanks for the suggestion, but as I posted, I'm looking to add no additional files to the CD. While I suspect, as you do, that ISOs require something beyond just the bootable record, other posts here infer that although UDFs have a need, there may be a way around it with ISOs. Anyone else want to chime in?

Is there an actual reason why the 'dummy file' method cannot be used?

Ok so it might not be 100% what you're after but does it REALLY matter?

Either way, there's no way around it so far as ImgBurn is concerned. You might be able to achieve exactly what you're after with other tools, I don't know.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.