PCLinuxOS

help!123

Hi,

I am trying to create a live CD from the PCLinuxOS file that I downloaded from the website. Everytime I copy the file I never can get it to run. It only is a copy of the file. There is never a run command as an option when trying to open the copy on the disc. I keep trying to figure out how to copy my download as an image onto the disc. I am wanting to to try Linux to decide if I want to switch over to it from WndwsXP. If anyone can tell me how to do this it would be very helpful... Thanks...

help!123

;

I 16:46:04 ImgBurn Version 2.3.2.0 started!

I 16:46:04 Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)

I 16:46:04 Total Physical Memory: 2,088,364 KB - Available: 1,316,248 KB

I 16:46:04 Initialising SPTI...

I 16:46:04 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...

I 16:46:04 Found 1 DVD

Edited by help!123

You've got an ISO of the OS?

If so, just follow the 'how to burn an image file' guide.

It really doesn't get any easier than that.

EDIT: You posted your log :)

It burnt / verifed fine so if it's not booting either the image is corrupt or your machine isn't set to boot from your cd drive. Go look in the bios and change the boot order accordingly.

You've got an ISO of the OS?

If so, just follow the 'how to burn an image file' guide.

It really doesn't get any easier than that.

EDIT: You posted your log :)

It burnt / verifed fine so if it's not booting either the image is corrupt or your machine isn't set to boot from your cd drive. Go look in the bios and change the boot order accordingly.

Hey, Thanks. Also I only had a DVD R/RW + I think. Is that ok to use? Next, what are bios and can you suggest how I do this changing of the boot order?

When you first turn on your PC there's a screen that flashes up.

It'll either be a pretty picture or it'll tell you useful info about your PC.

Normally you press DEL or F2 at this point and it'll take you into the bios configuration screen.

Keep an eye out next time you reboot, it might even tell you what to press. You can use the 'Pause / Break' key on your keyboard to pause it so the PC won't continue to boot the OS.

Then once you're in the BIOS, look around for boot order/priority settings.

To be honest, if you aren't sure about that stuff, you probably shouldn't be messing with it - or with Linux! Some things just aren't meant for people with limited PC knowledge.

To be honest, if you aren't sure about that stuff, you probably shouldn't be messing with it - or with Linux! Some things just aren't meant for people with limited PC knowledge.

So true, Linux may not be for you if having trouble with these basic PC skills. You may even want to do when I started out with Linux and find a spare machine to play around with until you can figure out the basics, that way if you screw something up you can start over.

ImgBurn on Linux

http://my.afterdawn.com/wolfmanz/show_image.cfm/15409/full

Amarok a Linux based music player

http://my.afterdawn.com/wolfmanz/show_image.cfm/16288/full

Edited by wild77

So true, Linux may not be for you if having trouble with these basic PC skills. You may even want to do when I started out with Linux and find a spare machine to play around with until you can figure out the basics, that way if you screw something up you can start over.

Yep. Couldn't agree more. If you want to screw about with Linux, you could do worse than Freespire which is the freely downloadable version of Linspire. It's probably the easiest to configure and use.

http://www.freespire.org/

• 8 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.