Issues with SATA burners

Oneacer

Hi,

First let me say I have used Img for a long time and love it and will continue to use it. My issues started on my new build:

Case: Thermaltake Armor VA8003BWS

MB: EVGA 780i

CPU: Quad Q6600

HDD: WD 500, SG 250

PSU: Ultra X3 1000 Watt

Memory: G.Skill 4GB ( 2x2) DDR@ 1000

Video: 8800GT Superclocked (X2 in SLI)

Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum

Speakers: Logitech Z-4

TV Card: Hauppauge 1600

Monitor: Samsung 226BW 22 inch

Burners: Samsung SH-S203B (Sata) x2 firmware SB03

I had 2 Optiarc sata burners in this new machine. They both read, but neither one would burn to -R Verbatim's using IMG Burn. Both drives would start to write the lead in and then would just sit there and lock up the system. One the disk is still in when I returned it, and I got the other one to eject finally. I rma both of them and ordered 2 Samsung sata burners. I put in 2 IDE burners (Lite-on and Optiarc) while I was waiting and they both read and burned fine to all types of Verbatim media using IMG Burn. I installed my 2 Samsung sata burners and the same issues with -R. They would burn to +R Verbatim's but at the end of each burn they would give me "close track failed!" and then "finalize disk failed!", but I just hit "retry" and a "burn completed successfully" appeared and those disc's play just fine.

EVGA (makers of the mobo) e-mailed me back and asked me to try a different burning program first. I have never been a fan of Nero, but version 7 came with my Samsung burners, so I loaded it up. Lo and behold, every thing is flying right along. Burning to all media types easily and flawlessly.

My conclusion therefore is that IMG Burn with SATA burners on this 780i mobo is a recipe for burning issues.

Edited by Oneacer

Change the 'Write Type' to Incremental in the settings, you might have more luck

It's nothing to do with the program itself. All it's doing is feeding data to the drive. The drive itself controls everything else so if it bombs out for some reason than it only has itself to blame. The S203B's are very good at that... I was hoping the SB03 firmware would have fixed it but I guess not.

Hi UK and Chewy,

First off I am running the recent mobo drivers. I also changed the write type to incremental in the settings. I so far have tried it with +RW and it opened and burnt fine til the very end:

post-6695-1202522332_thumb.jpg

Then I hit retry and I get successful burn as shown and the disk plays fine:

post-6695-1202522474_thumb.jpg

I still have to try -R

have you got the nvidia drivers for ide/sata in. Try just using the standard MS ones.

All the mobos I have that use nforce I put the driver in but never use the storage part of the driver as I get too many issues across all my mobos which disappear when I choose not to use nvidia storage and let MS drivers deal with it.

Hi,

After many tries I have narrowed it down to a SATA drive issue either with the sata controllers on the motherboard or within each program. The two programs I am having trouble with are DVDFab HD Decrypter and IMG Burn. DVDFab HD Decrypter won't even scan the disk I put into the drive and freezes my machine. Shrink will rip the DVD fine, but when IMG Burn opens, it hangs and freezes my machine on DVD -R's on writing the "lead-in" (thus ruining the disk). IMG will open and burn to +R OK, but gives me errors at the end about closing track and finalizing. I just hit re-try and then I get window saying "completed successfully", and this disk plays just fine as I noted above.

I have tried switching internal sata ports as well as cables with no change.

Now also note at one point I removed both these Samsung sata drives and put in 2 IDE drives, Lite-On and Optiarc, and everything runs and works perfectly with both DVDFab HD Decrypter and IMG Burn.

I am presently using my 2 Samsung sata drives running Shrink with no problem and using Nero (7 Essentials) as a burning program with no problems.

I figure if these programs can see and read and write from these sata drives, then in all probabilities it is an issue within DVDFab HD Decryter and IMG Burn specifically regarding these newer sata drives over the IDE type?

I would like to know a little better in detail about loading the MS drivers for the storage part as opposed to the nVidia drivers.

I would like to know a little better in detail about loading the MS drivers for the storage part as opposed to the nVidia drivers

using ms drivers on my nforce boards I have no issues using IDE and SATA drives etc.

Using Nforce storage driver Issues arose.

Next time you install your operating system after xp goes in install chipset drivers but not storage and have windows pick up the SATA and IDE devices without nforce see if it helps.

It's not the program that makes the difference between your drive working or not unless there was a serious bug in the program and with ImgBurn there is no design flaw or bug, it's your drivers/ide/sata controllers , hardware etc at fault.

Motherboard support will tell you anything to pass blame away from their hardware.

OK, Here is what I am thinking of doing.

If I go into device manager and under IDE ATA/ATAP controllers there are 3 listings for NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller besides my Primary and Secondary IDE Channel and a Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller. The first NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller has both Samsung burners under port 0 and port 1. The Driver Provider is : NVIDIA Corporation and the Driver Date is: 8/9/2007. The other 2 NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controllers are my internal hard drives.

Now if I go into the Controller where my 2 burners reside and Uninstall the driver and then restart my computer, wouldn't XP find them on boot up and load Windows drivers for them by default without effecting any other drivers from nVidia for anything else?

GOT IT RESOLVED!

On another site someone by the name of GoBlue suggested changing drivers in the following way:

"You need to click on the "update driver" tab for that sata port. Windows will ask if it can connect to windows update to search for driver. Click "No, not this time" and then click the "next button". Then click the box that says "install from a list or specific location (advanced)" and click next. Than click the box that says "Don't search I will choose the driver to install" and click next. Then highlight "standard dual channel pci controller" and click next. This will install the generic Microsoft driver. "

I then restarted and everything is back up and running all programs again with no issues. Img Burn and DVDFab HD Decrypter are working just fine. Boy do I appreciate these forums. This is what computing is all about.

I want to thank everyone for their help and I will be notifing nVidia of the issues with their drivers and sata burners.

• 3 weeks later...

I registered just so i could THANK YOU for this very helpful post. I built my first system last week and yesterday tried to burn for the first time. i had the exact same problem as Oneacer in that at the LeadIn ImgBurn would hang trying to burn regular DVD-Rs. I could get my system to shutdown properly by ending the ImgBurn process through the Task Manager and choosing Shutdown but it would take forever.

I also have the EVGA 780i Mobo with the Samsung SH-S203B (Sata) firmware SB03.

i visited many a web site and wasted much in time and discs all day trying to figure the problem out until i stumbled upon this topic.

changing the SATA drivers completely fixed the problem. what a RELIEF!

one thing that bothered me throughout my atttempts to fix the problem is that windows recognized my Samsung as a SCSI device in device manager.

after i ditched the Nvidia drivers my Samsung is no longer seen as SCSI. do you think that was a symptom of the problem or did it not make a difference?

once again THANK YOU for this post. it's saved me a lot of trouble. peace,

Cranky

I had this very issue with my 203N and an Asus P5N-D Motherboard. Been using the stock M$ drivers and it worked. Today I decided to look around and downloaded nVidia's 750 drivers. Using WinRAR to extract the folders I compared them. Many files were the same, but for some reason Asus's drivers had a new version, but an older date??? Not sure why they are versioning different, but I decided to install nVidia's drivers and now my 203N works fine...could be an Asus/EVGA issue where they feel the need to brand their own drivers and screwed something up.

Edited by weisborg

• 6 months later...
Change the 'Write Type' to Incremental in the settings, you might have more luck

It's nothing to do with the program itself. All it's doing is feeding data to the drive. The drive itself controls everything else so if it bombs out for some reason than it only has itself to blame. The S203B's are very good at that... I was hoping the SB03 firmware would have fixed it but I guess not.

Lightning,

My Machine is:

AMD 64 4200

4 Gig Ram

WIN XP Pro

Pioneer 212d SATA Drive

NEC 2500 IDE Drive

current media: Sony Brand

next media: VERBATIM. but how do I tell if its the right one?

this is a pic of the SATA Device Manager. can you tell me where do I change the "Write to " mode. I can't find it.

I've just started to use this Pioneer Drive and would like to stop making Coasters. the first 2 were funny and now its

getting out of hand.

SATAdeviceMgrsm.bmp

• 3 weeks later...
Tools -> Settings -> Write -> Write Type.

Hey Lightning,

you know, I was looking for this information for sometime now, and I just stumbled over it. time to try it

man, I feel like an @#@

I have just passed the double digit mark in creating coasters...... would you like one.....jk

thank you

Edited by pstatme

where am I to look for this: Tools > Settings > Write > Write Type.

The first one - Tools - can be found in this window.

mode101.png

Thank you so very much.

I have just completed 3 dvd's NON-COASTERS,,,, :thumbup:

the direction that the guide showed me was helpful.... but do we really need to Verify?

where am I to look for this: Tools > Settings > Write > Write Type.

The first one - Tools - can be found in this window.

mode101.png

Thank you so very much.

I have just completed 3 dvd's NON-COASTERS,,,, :thumbup:

the direction that the guide showed me was helpful.... but do we really need to Verify?

"YES" or you will eventually end up with a disc you thought wrote OK because it finished without error only to find some months later when you need to get the data back from that disc that you end up with read errors and you cannot retrieve the data you treasure.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.