US Sci-Fi Channel to air new Doctor Who

digidragon

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It should be interesting to see how/if Sci-Fi edits the show. I am particularly looking forward to Dalek, where I believe someone said "goddamn". Sci-Fi skirts the issue on Battlestar Galactica by using the term "gods damn".

I'm pretty sure that nowadays using the term goddamn is no taboo on American TV, although sci-fi may have their own standards. Especially after all positive references to God are struck down by all of the bleeding heart liberals who want to change "One Nation Under God" to "Bring your own practices here, and feel free to take control" (rant off)

I think the "gods damn" is just in keeping with the original Galactica series, where they also get (got) away with "FRACK" :swear: , even in the more conservative late '70's & early '80's.

• 4 weeks later...

Credit where it is due to Sci-Fi Channel. :D They did air the show as they promised. :lol: In fact, they put the first two episodes into pretty heavy rotation. Premiered last Friday, followed immediately by a rerun, then by a rerun on Sunday, Monday morning, and Thursday night. Episode 2 will get another rerun tomorrow, followed by the premiere of Episode 3, followed by a rerun of it. :)

Initial reports are the show did well in its premiere. A little over one and a half million for Rose's premiere, and the ratings rose for The End Of The World to about 1.6 million. The reruns afterwards each got roughly the same ratings, interestingly enough, 0.78 million. The premiere time slots got roughly the same ratings as Stargate does in those slots. And, with Stargate being the #2 show on Sci-Fi, that is some promising news that people are watching! :w00tdance:

Also, reading the boards at the scifi website, it seems to have gone down well with the people there, both new viewers as well as people who'd seen the classic series.

Having seen a few episodes in their full, uninterrupted glory, how did you find the ad-infested versions...? ;)

Dr Who with adverts ??? That's just wrong..... :swear:

Well, if the licence fee-abolishers get their way, then that's what we'll have :(

Exterminate, exterminate... (and now a word from our sponsors) ...exterminate

Long live the (ad-free) BBC B)

Sci-Fi also had the balls to call the show a Sci-Fi Original, like they do with Stargate and BSG. Which, of course, it is NOT a Sci-Fi Original! Never has been. :lol: Always has been BBC, home grown and bred. :D

Surprisingly enough, Sci-Fi made very edits to fit more ads into the show. The proof of the pudding, though, will be how Sci-Fi chooses to handle the "goddamn" in Dalek. Have David Hasselhoff come in and dub in "Gosh darn?" =)) Probably a creative BLEEP or if they're in a cheeky mood, dub in a Dalek laser sound effect over it.

But, Doctor Who with ads is not new to American viewers. :) Back when Sci-Fi reran the Tom Baker years in 1992 and then again when Fox aired The Enemy Within. (Which, BTW, will celebrate its 10th anniversary on May 14th. Interestingly enough, the 10th anniversary of its BBC premiere, May 20th, should coincide with an American premiere of a new Who episode! :o)

Well, Doctor Who with ads is not new to me. UK Gold shows them, along with other BBC shows. And the breaks do seem un-natural when you've seen them uninterrupted first time around.

But anyway, what did you think of the zombies? I don't think you'd seen that episode before.

Well, okay, they weren't quite zombies, but unquiet dead people. Pretty close though... ;)

It was SUPPOSED to be February! But, thanks to Sci-Fi's deal, they got the DVD's pushed ahead to July 4th, because who would watch it on Sci-Fi if the DVD's were already available? The sets are probably already out in R2?

The series 1 DVD boxset came out in the UK just before christmas.

Next week's episode is the first of a two-parter. It's not very sophisticated, but it's great fun, and a real adventure-type story. A bit too much farting in it, though... ;)

And I know now not to go in a round with the Cybermen!!! :P

But, the other day, my local BBC news show aired some clips from episode 1 of the new series. They looked stunning. The new series starts two weeks from now, and I can't wait!!! :w00t:

But I must admit, I'm most looking forward to Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel two-parter...

Except for a new Doctor and appearances by the Cybermen, K-9, and Sarah Jane, I know nothing about the new series. :lol: Wonder if Sarah will have a new body? =)) I would guess Sarah and K-9 would be in the same story together, if K-9 And Company and The Five Doctors is any indication.

I admit, I am mostly looking forward to the Cybermen episodes, too. :) Last year, Episodes 6 and 13 were the ones I was expecting. 6 was far more satisfying than 13. ;)

Don't know if the UK has gotten Robot Chicken on any network, but, the Season 2 premiere episode featured a nod to Doctor Who with a kid in school giving a demonstration of what TARDIS stands for. He had a toy police box and generic Tom Baker type doll as props. Unfortunately, the sketch ends with someone stepping in, pointing, and shouting "NERD!" I would had ended it with an addendum where one of those Denys Fisher Cybermen dolls comes in and snaps that idiot's neck! Or just tears his heart out. :devil:

=))

Robot Chicken, the story goes, gets it name from a menu item at the restaurant where it's creators, one of them being actor Seth Green, conceived of the show. If you're familiar with Twisted Toyfare Theater from Wizard magazine, it's the same premise, creators, and writers, but, they've animated the toys. It's a 15 minute really short sketch comedy series.

The beeb are repeating 'The Green Death' on BBC 4 this week, just caught the first episode by accident tonight. Brilliant!! :D The Welsh accents are excellent! :whistling:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.