US Sci-Fi Channel to air new Doctor Who

digidragon

Not being a Friend of Dorothy I'm not really into Torchwood - all that pillow biting...

You took that clip on your mobile didn't you jack? chuckle, chuckle.

Hey spinner...America has a north coast? I thought Canada was north...or did I leave school too early...?

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the State of Minnesota on the West and then East to New York State, along the Great Lakes, the area is referred to as the "North Coast". Canada is to our North, but we have the water as a boundary, more of a marketing thingy I guess, but it sounds good... :thumbup:

I really like Torchwood, more adult than Dr Who ;) I see for the second series due out next year the BBC will be making a toned down version for kids (no potty mouthed language, no sex scenes and less violence) that will air shortly after the adult themed episode.....

That will please my youngest. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Fridays sure are getting interesting on Sci-Fi. Battlestar Galactica, The Sarah Jane Adventures, and Doctor Who.

The Sarah Jane Adventures is great. It's meant for kids, but I loved it. In fact the Doctor Who new season opener felt a lot like a Sarah Jane adventure.

BBC in their wisdom changed Torchwood transmission day to a Friday and my Freeview PVR was set to record On the Wednesday which was OK for the first 11EPS that aired Wednesday but It means I have missed the last 3 Eps.

And that's about when it started getting good. Blame The Apprentice for the timeslot being changed.

Didnt see much of Torchwood this time round for a number of reasons, will have to get it when it's released on DVD. Saw the first episode of Dr Who this weekend and wasnt over impressed to be honest. Wasnt a big fan of Donna and can see me getting very fed up by the end of the series. With Martha and Rose making an apearance the Tardis could be getting a little crowded again, it use to be common for the Dr to have 2,3 or even 4 companions but i'm not keen on it. One fit woman is all he needs! :thumbup:

Whereas I found the episode to be a bit light and fluffy, I thought Donna was much less irritating than I was expecting. Plus it was a genuine shock to see you-know-who near the end.

Who? Lord President Barusa I bet! =))

Think they save a bit of money on effects when they're breaking in a new assistant as the story focus is on them.

Donna wasn't so bad as in the bride one...less gobby it seemed. Is she in the whole series? My impression was they will take turns.

The blonde one was a shock, bet we don't see her for a while longer, and she faded away.

Well written ep, I thought. RTD comes up with some original ideas...

• 2 months later...

You're right db, it was Rose silently calling out to them.

Think I liked Kylie most of the partners, but she is an A list star, followed by Rose, Martha and Donna. Wonder if Donner will go in the last ep to make way for new guest stars in next years specials.

Then Steven Moffat takes over as lead writer. Be interesting to see what direction he takes the show in...

Now, if I remember correctly, Doctor Who is taking a sabbatical for 2009 and won't be back until 2010, right?

And, also if I remember correctly, this Saturday's episode is what we Yanks call a season finale. (To us, a series finale means the very last episode ever of a show.) Which as I once commented is odd that a season finale for Doctor Who is a singular episode. It's been two or 3 parter thus far. Hopefully, if rumors persist, one episode is big enough for the Daleks and explain what Rose is doing.

Speaking of Rose being able to escape the parallel world. If that's the case, then, there's always the chance the Cybermen could return. I had said they could never show up again because they closed off the parallel world. But, I forgot about Rose showing up this season.

3 specials next year. Thats all we're getting apparently. Cybermen were seen being filmed for the 08 Xmas special.

Looks like a two parter final with Rose, Martha, Donna, Captain Jack, Daleks & maybe even Davros...

Wait, what about Midnight? Is that not the final episode for this season? TV.COM lists it as the finale.

Okay, never mind. Checked TV.COM again and they've added 3 more episodes to the list since I last checked. Fuckers. :lol: Anyway, I'd heard a few Davros rumors, too.

TV.com caught me out as well db, giving the impression Midnight was the last one...

Midnight looked like a 'bottle' episode to cut costs so they could spend more on the last 3. It was ok, but a lot of shouting.

A Dr. Lite episode next week it seems...

TV.COM tips that the Daleks are indeed in the finale as I had heard. Davros is still a mystery but it sure would be nice to see him back. Many say Davros stories put the Daleks on the back burner, but, we've had enough non Davros stories that a Davros story would be a welcome addition for me.

As for Davros, well, check this out: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=16815 Scroll down some for an interesting take on Davros I've never seen before. Which could mean something, given he's next to a new red new type Dalek.

Interesting read db, thanks.

I've picked up some spoilers on the last 3 eps, probably stuff thats been deliberately leaked to build up some interest, but I wonder what surprises RTD has in store that nobody knows about.

Yes Davros coming back would be good with a new, modern spin...

I would just hope that if Davros returns, they get Terry Molloy to play him. He's now so associated with Davros thanks to the Big Finish Productions and that the fact that he's played the character more often than anyone else on the old series. I'd be afraid that since this is new Who, they'd be too anxious to cast someone else in the role. Kind of like Roy Skelton not doing the Daleks. Maybe he doesn't want to or is too old, but, it's kind of not the same with Nicholas Briggs. Although Briggs does a startling good job imitating the old style Dalek voices. Nothing against his performance, I just wax nostalgic. :)

I got to thinking. If that picture of Davros is Davros as he appears in the new series, inferring he actually does appear with the Daleks in the season finale, it begs a few questions. According to TV.COM, the finale deals with a newly resuscitated Dalek Empire. Last we saw, there was one Dalek left. Was it Dalek Thay? I forget. I think it was the one who donated its back panel of globes to top the Empire State Building. So, one Dalek manages to rebuild the entire Dalek army? That's inferring if this story does indeed take place in chronological order like the past Dalek stories have done. Maybe Thay had to dig up Davros in order to do it. But, it begs another question. The last time we saw Davros in the old series, he was just a head inside a Dalek shell. This image from Lying In The Gutters shows a classic Davros. So, it does beg the question of in time period this season finale is set in.

All good questions db, be interesting to see where it goes. RTD will be wanting to set up his specials for next year and prepare for his exit.

I think they could do a lot worse than bringing back Jenny - his daughter - as a companion for a while. Assuming the spin off they were so obviously angling for doesn't get green lit.

Here's a link to a youtube vid with more info. SJS & K9 return - I'd heard that, bit Sir Ben Kingsley as Davros? Thats taking the pith...

Warning: There be spoiler here!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.