US Sci-Fi Channel to air new Doctor Who

digidragon

Finally, the US fans (dbminter? :P) can watch the 2005 series on TV...

SCI FI Channel announced Jan. 12 that it will air the first season of the BBC's hit SF series Doctor Who, starting in March. The 13 episodes, starring Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor and Billie Piper as Rose Tyler, will air as part of SCI FI Fridays at 9 p.m. ET/PT.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=0&id=34141

Oh, and earlier on, I stumbled upon the filming of the Cybermen episode from series 2. The road where the BBC were filming was closed, but the pub on the road was open, and we had a good view. And a few pints too...

I saw three very big, scary, silver Cybermen walking about in a threatening manner.

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and earlier on, I stumbled upon the filming of the Cybermen episode from series 2. The road where the BBC were filming was closed, but the pub on the road was open, and we had a good view. And a few pints too...

I saw three very big, scary, silver Cybermen walking about in a threatening manner.

Was this before or AFTER you had your 3 very big, scary drinks? :thumbup:

As for the Sci-Fi Channel, I'll believe it when I actually see it. :D Plus, I will always still fault Sci-Fi for dropping the ball on a far better deal. They had the chance to get not only the new Who but all existing old Who episodes, too! :rolleyes: Now, all they have is an option to air season 2 of the new series, too. :doh:

Edited by dbminter

Well, you trust the BBC don't you...? ;)

Over Sci-Fi Channel, yes. :D BUT, just because the Beeb says Sci-Fi will show it doesn't mean they will. Sci-Fi said they were going to go to series with Babylon 5: The Legend Of The Rangers. Never did. They said that Sciography, or whatever it was called, would go beyond Battlestar Galactica, the original series, and also cover The Twilight Zone, the original series, Quantum Leap, and The Incredible Hulk. Never did. I wouldn't be surprised if Sci-Fi suddenly decided it felt it necessary to play the episode of Stargate they had just shown but play it BACKWARDS.

I only had two drinks - the Cybermen were very real. Well, they were really blokes in silver suits, but they were really there...

Did you check the shoes? Were they just silver painted tennis shoes, ala The Invasion? =))

BTW, we all know you know Cybermen aren't real. It's the Daleks you're still working on. :wink:

Edited by dbminter

In addition, BBC Video has moved the US release date of the DVD from February 2006 to July 4, 2006 to capitalize on the exposure from the TV broadcast. As part of the deal, BBC Video and SCI FI Channel have agreed to work together on joint marketing promotions to support the brand launch.

Burton Cromer, Vice President, Consumer Products, BBC Worldwide Americas said: ?We are delighted to be working with SCI FI Channel on the launch of this exciting new take on Doctor Who. The additional marketing support from SCI FI, as well their ability to reach such a broad audience base, made moving the release date an easy decision.?

An easy decision ?? :lol: Shame they didn't consult db !!

The .GIF is showing as not found. Is that image the one of the TARDIS materializing on the White House lawn?

If so, I know that image is severely edited. It doesn't show Georgie looking out upon hearing the grinding, see a mysterious blue box appear, and shout "TERRORISTS!" and sending the armed guards to arrest, interrogate, and then lose the Doctor. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Well, at least the series is showing up on Sci-Fi's Schedulebot. To start on March 17th at 9 PM CST. It is unfortunately wedged between two awful Stargate shows, but, it is showing up with a probable start date. And, they are giving the show an encore presentation at midnight. Sci-Fi could have given the show a better leg to stand on pairing it with Battlestar Galactica, their current highest rated show instead of giving Who its time slot. But, it's not bad. Thus far. :)

Yes. Unfortunately, Sci-Fi was offered ALL existing old series Doctor Who by the BBC as a carrot to carry the new series. Sci-Fi could air episodes they never had before; they aired the Tom Baker episodes, while falsely advertising their own network in 1992 using William Hartnell clips. Then, the new series would air on Fridays. They turned that down. :rolleyes: For whatever reason, the BBC offered the show to them again, with a far less sweet deal: air the first season, and you'll have the option to air the 2nd. :doh: Naturally, because Sci-Fi is terrible at programming itself (Back in December, it aired NOTHING but Seaquest DSV for an entire WEEK! NOTHING else but SDSV! :angry:) it jumped at that deal. :wacko:

• 3 weeks later...

Havent seen a definate date yet, they just say sometime in the spring. Torchwood is supposed to start sometime in the summer. They arent very forthcoming with their dates!!

tardisturn1sa.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.