Verbatim DVD+R DL Coaster

Movie Junkie

After more than 450 - 500 good burns on the Verbatim +DL media I have finally made a coaster. I had a supposedly successful burn crap out at the 52% mark while verifying. I ran another verify with DVDInfo Pro and it stopped at the same 52% area.

Since I have a problem with one of my drives reading past the layer break I wanted to make sure the same thing was not happening to the other drive. I ran tests with DVDInfo Pro on several other DL discs and they showed no problems. I then put the coaster back in and, the test again, could not get past the same 52% area.

So I do not mislead anyone I want to clarify that while this is the first coaster, I have had a few minor problems with the Verb + DL discs.

I did have 3 or 4 discs that each had a scratch about 3/4" long on the label side. I was told by Verbatim that the scratch was probably created by the mechanical arm that lifts the discs. I also had 2 discs, in a row, that verified OK until they got to the the very end (99+%). These 2 discs played OK and I was able to verify them with no problems past the initial verify. Verbatim replaced all 5 or 6 of the discs. They also provided me with a pre-paid label to ship the defective discs back. All of those problems took place during the first 30 to 40 DL discs I purchased. Since those problems I have had more than 425 - 450 +DL burns with no problems.

I assume your a voting shareholder of Verbs by now? :D
I wish!
Sorry about the luck, I would guess they'll replace this one also.
I am sure of it. I'll wait a bit to see if any other problems show up.

I did a re-burn of the information that was on the coaster (from the original source) and this time things went OK.

The TYG02's I get from SVP work out about 40 pence a disc !! Mind you for that quality I am not complaining....

something's wrong in the global economy, is that .40 x 1.77= 71 cents?

I get 200 value disks shipped to the door for less than half that, or is there a 100% VAT?

Of course, the cost would have to be insubstantial compared to the cost of the actual library that was backed up.

Since there is nothing wrong with making backups of your personal library for the sake of protecting one's investment, I think it is money well spent. :secret::wink::lookaround::rolleyes:

I think what caused the problem with the movie test was the fact that the layer break needs to be calculated. Because it does, it is different from the source IFO's layer break. Thus why the 1:1 backup was fine because no changes were made to the VOB's and thus none to the IFO's. However, in the test with editing the source video to remove advertising at the start of the DVD, this meant removing VOB contents, which meant changing the streams.

So, given the costs of DVD+R DL, I never tested again. Only DVD+RW DL or DVD-RW DL, if it's made, have seemed feasible enough to be worth to test around with again. If they fail, they can always be reused. With DVD-R DL, like with DVD+R DL, I'd be willing to give a 3 pack a test. If a firmware update for the NEC 3500a with DVD-R DL support is ever released. :wink:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.