CreatingBootableWinXP CD

greyowl

I am making a bootable WinXP CD with the method outlined in the link below:

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=346

I did it successfully with Nero 6.6.0.18. So I applied the same settings to ImgBurn and used the same method but it did not work. I got a message that says something like "it appear you are making an operating system CD, but you have some conflicts in your settings so the CD may not work, do you want me the change the settings"--Once I answered Yes, and once I answered No---and neither worked.

This is the first time that I have used Img Burn. I used the build mode, and the image file from the link above.

I want to understand why this did not work and how to do this sort of thing with ImgBurn since I assume it has the capability.

I was getting this warning now and decided to search before making a new thread. My Slipstreamed Windows DVD gives this warning now. It gives it in the calculate mode too, but when looking at the settings after clicking Yes it doesn't appear to have changed anything. Still gives the warning when burning too, so didn't appear to do anything. Is that the bug, or is there more?

It would be nice if it told what it is finding wrong and what it is going to change too...what is it looking at anyway?

It doesn't adjust the GUI, just the internal settings (after GUI options have been applied) - as it sets some weird stuff that I don't want users to 'forget' to change back.

Burn and calculate are totally seperate... or rather they're exactly the same but options selected during Calculate are not remembered (unless they do actually update the GUI).

As for which settings are changed, it's the following:

ISO9660 Interchange Level - Level X

ISO9660 Character Set - ASCII

ISO9660 Allow More Than 8 Directory Levels - Enabled

ISO9660 Allow Files Without Extensions - Enabled

ISO9660 Don't Add Version Number To File Identifier - Enabled

and if the Joliet FS is present...

Joliet Interchange Level - Level X

Joliet Allow Files Without Extensions - Enabled

Joliet Add Version Number To File Identifier - Disabled

Looks good to me. I always like knowing what's going on. My Windows DVD does all kinds of stuff, so if anything I'd like to modify what settings I can in the app and in the Project file to match where they apply. I think most of those settings I already had. Main thing is as long as I don't lose long filenames with any changes...other than that I'm good as long as it works.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.